Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t get the point. Seems like a meaningless metric to me. Like a record for longest balsa glider flight from top of Everest with a massive tailwind. What does it prove? Remember, I’m not too bright so it might beyond my feeble ability to understand higher level concepts.

Because they have literally nothing else to brag about with the Mach E. It’s worse than a Y in every metric/comparison

If you can't convince them by getting them to Google "Tesla Stock Price" and then select the "5Y" or "Max" options, then nothing will. I also extoll the virtue of LEAPS rather strongly; they've all gotten into TSLA LEAPS and fortunately the timing resulted in a positive experience for them so far...

On another topic, I was almost considering signing up for a ride on the Branson space flight, but the environmental toll IMHO makes doing so morally unacceptable.
The problem with this is that most, if not all, will think they already missed out on their chance. If I didn't know better I would too.

I don’t get the point.... What does it prove?...

It proves they're full of shite. The team stated:

“This record is about demonstrating that electric cars are now viable for everyone. Not just for short urban trips to work or the shops or as a second car, but for real-world use on long cross-country journeys."​

Yes, long cross-country journeys at 31 mph. For that "real-world use," Mockee is perfect.

TSLA and NIO charts today matched precisely to the second for the order flow starting at 2PM when I looked at the individual trades on the NASDAQ.COM "Last 100 trades" table, which lists every trade timestamped to the second.

My conclusion is the entire trading pattern for NIO and TSLA today was pre-programmed using the same algorithm with deterministic timing by the algorithm. To wit, the two purple boxes in charts below shows the minute flow between 2PM and 2:05PM

- At 2:00:00 PM, price starts to fall, with goal of taking out the $45 asks for NIO and the $668 asks for TSLA over the next 4 minutes.
- At exactly 2:02:57, the final consecutive sell segment of the flow kicked in to drop the price to the target.
- Target prices were reached at precisely 2:03:44.
- NIO started to rise immediately upon hitting the target while TSLA overshot the target a bit possibly due to other algos, but rose seconds after.

The fact that TSLA dropped by 0.92% after hours v.s. NIO's dropping of 0.93% AH could also be no coincidence.

View attachment 684353

View attachment 684354

Final sell segment of the algorithm started at 2:03:57 to hit all asks until the target is reached:

View attachment 684355
Thanks for highlighting this data. Clear market manipulation as @Artful Dodger and others have been espousing for years. What can we do? Come over to the Wheel options thread and learn how to trade options and plow profits back into buying TSLA during these numerous push downs. I’m a veritable newbie, especially compared to @Lycanthrope and others, but I’ve still have managed to buy several hundred shares this way. It’s not for everyone, but at least it helps feeling a bit more empowered.

Hey Causalien, thanks for all your great insight with COVID over the past couple of years.

Doesn’t Taiwan have a decent vaccination penetration yet? Am surprised this could bring down TSMC at this point.
No,
Its first dose penetration was 13% last I checked... or 30% I forgot. (Due to China schenaningans certain batches of early vaccine shipments were cancelled last minute) It's not much of a concern as they got the daily new cases down to ~30 without the vaccine. Taiwans has always been very good at contact tracing and quarantine. Same thing happened at the TSMC factory and quaratine is already in place. They knew this is important so they were ready.

As for the reason why it has been going up. Well monthly financial to be released tomorrow I think and the leaked numbers must've been great.

174 Billion for “electric vehicle incentives”. Please no hybrids…

100 Billion for electric grid.

Eh, thank goodness the most efficient market players now are BEVs and renewables. All we need is a little bit of help to speed things up. Most of all, we need the rent seekers to get out of the way.

These next ten years need to be the fastest moving industrial change in the history of the world for this to work. Everything is unprecedented lately, so why not a new renewable economy blowing it all up for a new world in a decade. The foundations have been set over the past twenty years… time for the S to go vertical.
Where are you getting the $174 Billion figure for EV incentives from?

Reactions: hobbes
Not sure if this information is worth much, happy to know if any of you read anything interesting out of this.

This would be more helpful if we knew it was net buying or net selling. The amount of activity doesn't seem notable anyways.

TSLA has had basically no volume most of 2021, which is why the algos and hedge funds control the SP.

This would be more helpful if we knew it was net buying or net selling. The amount of activity doesn't seem notable anyways.

TSLA has had basically no volume most of 2021, which is why the algos and hedge funds control the SP.
What do you mean net buying or net selling? When a trade occurs it is zero sum. If someone bought $209M of TSLA in X amount of transactions, someone sold the exact same amount. Net buying or selling that moves the price is usually only on the open market? I haven't heard of dark pool trading bumping up the share price by a few % Points?

• Helpful
Reactions: capster
But...the Mach-E is less efficient than a Tesla, so how can it set a Guinness record? Did Guinness simply not test a Tesla for this same test? 🤔

The Mach-e consumed 153 Wh/mile on it's record breaking run. That's at 31 mph and probably with the climate control, stereo and everything else turned off. My wife's car after over 3 years of normal usage, with the stereo on all the time, heater/defroster on most of the year, A/C on in the summer and no special driving techniques has a lifetime average of 230 Wh/mile. On a smooth road and good weather her car will return better than that, even at 50 mph in normal traffic.

So, the Mach-e returned 33% better efficiency on a carefully controlled run on a warm night with little traffic and the tires inflated to the hilt than the lifetime average of my wife's Model 3 using the heater, driving through lots of cold rain, driving on the interstate at 70 mph, wipers, A/C, Autopilot, waiting at stoplights, etc. Whoop-dee-do! Let's call Guinness! :rolleyes:

What do you mean net buying or net selling? When a trade occurs it is zero sum. If someone bought $209M of TSLA in X amount of transactions, someone sold the exact same amount. Net buying or selling that moves the price is usually only on the open market? I haven't heard of dark pool trading bumping up the share price by a few % Points?
I think he meant if that transaction happened at the bid or ask, and thus would give a hint whether someone "desperately" accumulated or distributed

EU to ban sales of new ICE cars from 2035 - not official yet but from a credible source. Also, goal could be changed if car manufacturers are not able to meet it (however that is defined :rolleyes:...)

EU to ban sales of new ICE cars from 2035 - not official yet but from a credible source. Also, goal could be changed if car manufacturers are not able to meet it (however that is defined :rolleyes:...)

Yes. EU wants it.
But Germany has a veto & would probably block it if the greens are not winning the elections in September.

EU cannot ban it. They can put "regulations" in place that forces member-states to ban it. If a member state does not implement the regulations it can just pay a fine..

Nearly every member-state is in violation of a dozen or so regulations (in germany i believe that usually we violate ~90 regulations) and the members just pay the fine. You can then sue your country before the EUGH (~supreme court) & win. And still then things go very slowly.

We just had this with fine-particle-emissions where cities just refuse to act for clean air. Because most of the time this would mean temporary bans of ICE inside the city. And the groups going to court over this get very harsh press... because .. what is with all the city-stores? and the office-towers? and .. and ... THEY WANT TO TAKE OUR CARS!! I WOULD HAVE TO USE THE BUS LIKE A PLEB!!1!

... -.-

Well... the thing is the panel is not more efficient than the one before, but just larger. Equals to Audi puts a 200 kWh pack in an EV and states "1000 km of range!" and claming its a better battery than Tesla ;-)

maybe a bit like the 2170 vs. 18650. A small tweak for cost purposes but essentially the same.

will be nice if/when Tesla masters the solar side because places like California with completely hosed power infrastructure (had a rotating outage warning at 8pm recently) and incompetent leaders will need help firming up the grid as BEVs increase demand further. I’m still not 100% sure why Tesla refuses to go for v2g especially if batteries coming can push a million miles which gives a lot of headroom for useful utility purposes. If the value gained from it is less than calculated depreciation impact on any particular case just make that transparent.

Missing an opportunity. New stuff is usually expensive, and it is the rich that can afford it, withheld poor following later once economies of scale and further developments in production reduce the cost (Wright’s law and all that). There is absolutely no reason in this case not to phase out expensive ICE cars quicker. We could do it today. We already know how to make good (but expensive) BEVs. OK, let’s give the manufacturers until 2026. In that year, no new ICE car above $100k may be sold. 2027, no new ICE car above $95k etc. This makes it harder to drag feet.