Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Superchargers need to grow faster than vehicle output"- Elon just now.

I said exactly that here like 18 months ago and got a billion disagrees and replies telling me why I'm wrong and that's totally not needed :)

Cause it was untrue and pure stupidity 18 months ago. Things have changed. 😳

/s (just in case)

"Superchargers need to grow faster than vehicle output"- Elon just now.

I said exactly that here like 18 months ago and got a billion disagrees and replies telling me why I'm wrong and that's totally not needed :)

Context means a lot and this was said in the context of opening the Supercharger network up to all other EV's. So, of course, the network will need to grow faster than Tesla production! He also detailed how the money for expansion would be provided by opening Superchargers up to all EV's.

So, no, you did not say exactly that and Superchargers do not need to grow faster than the number of cars using them, they need to grow slightly slower than that for a number of reasons, some of which were detailed today. 🙄

A chip fab is $5-10bn plus many hundreds of skilled knowledgeable people to implement it. And then you have to setup whatever production runs you want.

Its likely that one fab wouldnt do all the chips tesla needs (in terms of being suitable), they dont have the MCU chips (those are intel or amd), and they would have to design their own microcontrollers on whatever process they have setup.

At the moment they only have the design for the FSD chip. its unlikely they can for now make this worthwhile

• Informative
Reactions: GOVA
BATTERIES, BATTERIES, BATTERIES. It must be frustrating to lead a company with so much potential business choked by your inability to get/fab cells. I'm glad they are making progress with the 4680s and that there is a ~50% chance that the 100GWh capacity in place in 2022 is able to deliver. It continues to be all about the batteries.
(and chips now, too)

The thing I don't understand is, why is Tesla building more car manufacturing factories to exasperate the problem? Why no battery factories?

Isn't the GF1 at like 30% build out?

Not criticizing, just trying to understand.

The thing I don't understand is, why is Tesla building more car manufacturing factories to exasperate the problem? Why no battery factories?

Tesla is right now building battery factories at Berlin and Austin.

GF1 / Nevada has a real problem - people. They struggle to get people to work there. Thus Austin.

Both Berlin and Austin will produce 4680's on site, so they are creating new battery manufacturing.

So suppliers doubling cells next year, including 4680's

Tesla settling on 4680 cell size, nickel for high energy/long range, and Iron/LFP for standard vehicles.

Megapack sold out until end of 2022
massive orders for powerwall (party held back by semi conductors).
Looks like Iron/LFP will be using a different form factor than 4680 based on Elon's comments. It seems like Tesla may not be making the LFP batteries.