Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having a home built in what is called "America's first solar-powered town". Every home garage is being equipped to charge an electric vehicle. Below is an article indicating the need for this to become the norm.

MarketWatch: Buying a home? Why you should ask whether it’s wired for electric vehicles even if you don’t own one

Excerpt:

What each of those numbers mean is that even if you don’t see yourself in the market for an electric vehicle right now, there’s a growing likelihood that you’ll own an EV while you live in your current home or in the very next property you buy.

For drivers already convinced to go with a gas/electric hybrid or a full EV, it’s the vehicle’s strain on older or underpowered home electrical systems that can sober up a house search fast. Fractured charging infrastructure pushes most EV owners to get in those long charges at home, which means that until greater spending on roadside charging stations emerges and plug-in time speeds up, home setups really matter.
FWIW, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts had a meetup at Babcock Ranch some time ago:

I got 2 of these, for different accounts. Anyone know which is better for Tesla... do nothing and remain in the class, or exclude myself from the class?
My possibly flawed reasoning for remaining is that if the suit is successful the more people in the class the more diluted the "reward" will be. If I bail out then some other sleezeball would get a few more pennies. (I haven't actually checked to see if I traded during that time period to see if I'm even in the class as I don't really expect it to amount to anything.)

• Helpful
Reactions: LAexpress and Tim S
LOL, market manipulation.
what?

Screenshot_20210803_215550.png

going from +200k imbalance to ca. -30k right at the moment before those orders cannot be canceled anymore (15:55).. nothing to see. go along .. ;)

Btw: stock did not move at that point.

Remember: There is no war in Ba-Sing-Se!

My possibly flawed reasoning for remaining is that if the suit is successful the more people in the class the more diluted the "reward" will be. If I bail out then some other sleezeball would get a few more pennies. (I haven't actually checked to see if I traded during that time period to see if I'm even in the class as I don't really expect it to amount to anything.)
Lawyers will get their cut first regardless. I think fewer shareholders in the suit means a lower claim but IDK.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3
opening up superchargers gives Tesla access to several billion in stimulus funding

opening up superchargers gives Tesla access to several billion in stimulus funding

Can't wait to read Laura's take on this.

Other than maybe a primary litigant or 2, the only one who makes money from these suits are the lawyers. The rest just get Bennigans coupons. I guess there is no way to sue these ambulance chasers for harassment? But if any media picked up the story the value would be great showing that real TSLA chairholders are pleased with the way things have gone at Tesla and dislike the manipulators.

Reactions: JRP3
I'm financially comfortable and in my seventies. TESLA has helped a lot, but we would still be OK with out it. It's less than 25% of my portfolio, and I sleep well.

My recommendation for obtaining wealth has always been to live well below your means, and to invest the reminder. Whenever I would get a pay raise, I would let 25% go into my checking and the remainder into an investment account. Like KMCC my wife and I still are obsessed with getting "a deal " on everything we buy, even though the cost difference is usually irrelevant at this point in our lives.

I'm trying to get over that mindset. I guess I inherited it from my depression era parents. I can identify with KMCC's $.25 yogurt. I'm working to learn that most decisions need not be just about the money. Namaste

For some folks, I think bargain hunting is their art/sport. There is satisfaction in doing something well (such as bagging the "best deal") even if you don't have to.

I see nothing inherently wrong/unhealthy about that, in contrast to a mindset that really "should" be changed. I certainly recommend hunting bargains rather than innocent animals.

The only caveat is the question: Is this the best use of my time and talents? Could I be doing something else more aligned with my values and hopes for the world? Each of us must answer that for ourselves.

Perhaps but the big thing for me was the ability to nail down FSD at $7k, with just a refundable $100 deposit. I can't do that with a Y. Cost per mile to run a CT shouldn't be too far from a Y. Maybe a more rugged interior, indestructible exterior, but more expensive tires and lower efficiency. I have 12 on order. 6 dual motors and 6 singles, plus a tri motor for myself.

I think even Tesla bulls are forgetting about fleet and government sales. They certainly won't care about aesthetics.

The big differentiator is the Cybertruck’s robust stainless steel skin. That will allow the vehicle to continue to look good and stay in service longer and with less maintenance than a vehicle with a painted steel skin. This together with the electric powertrain means the Cybertruck should have a long service life. The long service life is important as the locked in price of FSD is dirt cheap for those who reserved, but won’t remain so.

The Cybertruck seats 6 and can take a lot of baggage. The vault could be used to perform deliveries of goods in parallel with driving passengers.

The size is less of an issue if you’re not parking in a parking spot, just pulling up to the curb.

I also still guesstimate that robotaxis will be enabled approximately at the same time as Cybertrucks reach volume production (+/- 1 year, which is quite close if you think as a futurist).

These are the reasons I gave my son when I suggested he reserve a handful.

"Think big or go home!" I like it, but I'm just generally too conservative to think that big. 5-10 CTs is a large investment to make... Did anyone run the numbers of how long it could take to recoup this with Robotaxis? Obviously have to make a lot of assumptions...

• Helpful
Reactions: capster
Looks like there’s an agreement between Tesla and Dennis Hong, who heads the robotics lab at UCLA.

It's "a" robotic lab, not "the" robotics lab at UCLA - it's basically one major professor with a bunch of grad students, maybe also decorated with a few post-docs, RoMeLa Personnel, UCLA, basically any professor who's able to hire one grad student can "establish" a lab, a center, etc. and appoint self as director, a practice me personally not a big fan at all. Also, this dude academically is very mediocre, publish-wise: Google Scholar profile. Look at his lab's website, there're numerous acronym-ed "robots." Is there any close to the level of Boston Dynamics robots? Why so many? Or each just a student project? USLA probably has 20+ such robotic or similar labs.

Had a bad feeling of him implying as part of this Tesla AI day thing - at Tesla folks defer to Elon.

In comparison: Google Scholar profile of Jeff Dahn, a prominent lithium-ion battery researcher

Last edited: