Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has said Tesla will have at least one entry into each automotive segment.

"Models" doesn't matter. It is platforms. If GM has the same platform selling a CUV as a Chevrolet, Buick, and Cadillac from the accountants POV that is 1 vehicle.

Tesla is making a subcompact for Europe and a supposedly completely different subcompact model for China.

S3XY Cybertruck, Model 2 Europe, Model 2 China, Van or high density people mover, and Roadster. Tesla Semi. Model S and X didn't end up sharing as many parts as hoped for neither do Model 3 and Model Y. In large part because of Tesla's process of continuous improvement.

Plus whatever else may come about from Elon's brain.

GM's problem is running essentially two companies at the same time.

An ICEv company serving all the segments. As it shuts down in 10-15 years.

And another BEV company serving all segments that needs to ramp up. Ramp up platforms, vehicles and battery supply. Hummer EV, Silverado-e,Suburban-e,Tahoe-e,Express-E, all their GMC equivalents plus Cadillac Escalade will be from one platform. From $113k Hummer EV to Plumber Van Express-e . This is the segment that generates over 100% of North American profits. The rest is a net negative margin.
If you’re talking badge engineering, that’s one thing. But if you‘re talking about platforms that offer offer real flexibility, remember that real flexibility invariably costs money.

The US legacies ought to try to get one dedicated, from-the-ground-up EV model right—whatever type they think they might may make money on—then try another and then, eventually maybe, grow their way back towards platforms. It’s not like any of the US legacies have that many batteries anyway.

Shortsighted? Possibly, but most like they’ll be DOA with the platform strategies that I’ve heard them articulate. Even in the unlikely event they have the wherewithal to successfully execute a platform transition strategy there’s no guarantee the federal tap is going to provide the capital needed to do so. Further, the whole flexible, all-things-to-all-powertrains strategy that still seems to be blowing in the winds is sure to fail.

Of course, if you increase the body (parts) size and just add lightning—or is it Lightening? (Wait, I thought Colin Chapman meant something else by “Simplify, then add more lightness." ;))—and Voila! It’s Alive!

5887B8FB-D104-4B31-9105-7A71BE8F0708.jpeg

So my university's alumni magazine came in the mail yesterday. Cover was a picture of the EV Hummer. Apparently even a top university can't see through GM's BS. How did this get published?

I see this as a marketing effort by the university. Proud parent touting their alumni, and also hoping to deepen the relationship. Did GM make final decisions yet on where they are going to build their new factories? It would be a plum deal to land one of those in TN, and have a natural flow of Vanderbuilt grads to a primo GM facility. Universities are struggling now to pay their bills with the impact of the pandemic, which just exacerbated the financial pressures they already had. A different topic for sure and one I’ve been following for awhile.

So my university's alumni magazine came in the mail yesterday. Cover was a picture of the EV Hummer. Apparently even a top university can't see through GM's BS. How did this get published?

It got published to highlight the Vanderbilt graduates who work at GM now. Here are some interesting excerpts:

The biggest difficulty in designing an EV, he says, is finding the right balance between performance and style. “You have to put the battery someplace, and they are pretty big and generally rectilinear in shape,” he says. “The aerodynamic concerns are different and present their own challenges.”

And that is probably why Tesla cars are so boxy and unattractive. The biggest difficulty in designing an EV is to make the car look stylish while maintaining acceptable performance with a large, rectilinear battery. GM has a real challenge on their hands but at least they have a graduate of Vanderbilt turned designer working on this thorny problem while Tesla was handicapped with Franz von Holtzhausen who only had the benefit of Syracuse University and some freaky California ArtCenter College of Design. GM has years of experience with EV design like the Bolt so they will likely solve this vexing problem of making an EV look sleek and attractive. And since that's the biggest difficulty in designing an EV, once over that hurdle everything else will fall into place. The Hummer solves the aerodynamic and aesthetic challenges of putting a big rectilinear battery in an EV and maintaining good style and a slippery drag coefficient. It's amazing what you can achieve if you have top Vanderbilt talent (no offense intended to V. alumni, just pointing out that schools do not define the individual).

“All of my professors at Vanderbilt were unfailingly supportive of my decision to work in automotive,” she says. “Nobody ever told me what I could not do—on the contrary, frequently they told me I could do things I thought I could not.”

Now she is helping GM engineers achieve once-unheard-of ranges of 400 miles or more on a single battery charge, comparable with industry leader Tesla. (Currently, GM is working with lithium-metal battery company SolidEnergy Systems on a next-generation battery it hopes will reduce costs and increase range further.) The batteries, say Tate, are also easier to service, so they can be quickly switched out or repaired locally. “I think that will be critical for widespread adoption of EVs,” she says.

Now I understand why Tesla is seeing such poor adoption rates of their EV's. If only Tesla knew how important it was for the batteries to be easier to service so bad modules could be quickly swapped out for good ones! They must not have done the math to see how much of a problem battery replacements would be and how this would limit adoption. Obviously, this could have been avoided if Elon had put a proper premium on the credentials of applicants educational backgrounds. I've heard even graduates of technical schools and community colleges have a chance of being hired at Tesla. Shocking! No wonder GM is leading the charge to electrification!

Something tells me this Vanderbilt publicity piece isn't going to age well. Of course, they can always delete it if a bunch of alumni are in charge of the downfall of GM. But the Internet never forgets!

Last edited:
I see this as a marketing effort by the university. Proud parent touting their alumni, and also hoping to deepen the relationship. Did GM make final decisions yet on where they are going to build their new factories? It would be a plum deal to land one of those in TN, and have a natural flow of Vanderbuilt grads to a primo GM facility. Universities are struggling now to pay their bills with the impact of the pandemic, which just exacerbated the financial pressures they already had. A different topic for sure and one I’ve been following for awhile.
Definitely is a marketing effort but Vanderbilt is not financially desperate.

Vandy is one of the richest schools in the world with a $6+ billion endowment and a very wealthy alumni network. The pandemic hasn't helped but they're still doing fine.

I had to go back and check after the downvotes/disagrees. But the posts are still there. I didn't go futher and look for the tweet followups.

I went back to the Bazinga article and didn't see any new context or content worthy of bringing it back a week later.

JB Strauble on battery recycling

Man, I love that guy.

TLDR of the video

1. Over 90% of all consumer electronic batteries are not recycled

2. A few hundred iphone has enough cobalt for one tesla model 3.

3. Everyone announcing these aspirational plans on making EVs did not do the math because the supply chain is not there, more notability the mines

4. It takes 8 years to go from discovery to volume production from an individual mine

5. Recycling consumer electronics that end up in landfills or someone's garage is the lowest hanging fruit and we should have a call to arm

6. Solid state batteries from QS is not going to be in a 2023 year model or anything, still "few years away". Technology is amazing, however manufacturing is the major issue.

7. After the Model S launched, JB and Elon thought every car company will try to copy it immediately and they thought they need to carve out a niche market but this did not happen. <--- This right here is why Tesla is the biggest company by market cap in the sector today. So it seemed that Tesla have changed their business plans due to the critics, the skeptics, and the lack of movement from legacy auto. Their intention was never to be to where they are today, but other's inaction forced their hands.

Great interview with JB:

( there are time stamps) Sorry if it was posted already.

It got published to highlight the Vanderbilt graduates who work at GM now. Here are some interesting excerpts:

And that is probably why Tesla cars are so boxy and unattractive. The biggest difficulty in designing an EV is to make the car look stylish while maintaining acceptable performance with a large, rectilinear battery. GM has a real challenge on their hands but at least they have a graduate of Vanderbilt turned designer working on this thorny problem while Tesla was handicapped with Franz von Holtzhausen who only had the benefit of Syracuse University and some freaky California ArtCenter College of Design. GM has years of experience with EV design like the Bolt so they will likely solve this vexing problem of making an EV look sleek and attractive. And since that's the biggest difficulty in designing an EV, once over that hurdle everything else will fall into place. The Hummer solves the aerodynamic and aesthetic challenges of putting a big rectilinear battery in an EV and maintaining good style and a slippery drag coefficient. It's amazing what you can achieve if you have top Vanderbilt talent (no offense intended to V. alumni, just pointing out that schools do not define the individual).

Now I understand why Tesla is seeing such poor adoption rates of their EV's. If only Tesla knew how important it was for the batteries to be easier to service so bad modules could be quickly swapped out for good ones! They must not have done the math to see how much of a problem battery replacements would be and how this would limit adoption. Obviously, this could have been avoided if Elon had put a proper premium on the credentials of applicants educational backgrounds. I've heard even graduates of technical schools and community colleges have a chance of being hired at Tesla. Shocking! No wonder GM is leading the charge to electrification!

I would say in my experience that almost all the engineers Vandy puts out are elite, so it's not just credentials but is an actual strong correlation. The Vandy EE program in particular is brutally hard and those who can't cut it give up and change to easier majors. Also, Tesla hires Vandy engineering alumni too. However, I think Elon's big insight is to look at someone's actual ability and potential instead of solely relying on affiliation with an elite group. Graduation from an elite school can be a data point of evidence of exceptional ability; it just isn't enough on its own.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's what you get for going to such a sorry school. Has Vanderbilt even won a game this year?

Definitely is a marketing effort but Vanderbilt is not financially desperate.

Vandy is one of the richest schools in the world with a $6+ billion endowment and a very wealthy alumni network. The pandemic hasn't helped but they're still doing fine.
Good to know, thanks for schooling me - pun intended.

From what I have seen, even schools that have large endowments are worried about the potential ripple effects of the pandemic. They are looking for ways to connect to broaden their base and deepen the stickiness between student/alum and school.

My last post, back to investment topics.

The biggest difficulty in designing an EV, [GM employee] says, is finding the right balance between performance and style. “You have to put the battery someplace, and they are pretty big and generally rectilinear in shape,” he says. “The aerodynamic concerns are different and present their own challenges.”​

Clearly the solution to the design challenge is to put the generally rectilinear battery in a generally rectilinear vehicle. If you shape your truck like a brick, you can fit twice as many batteries and demand twice the price of that ridiculous triangular Cyberthing.

hummer-ev-reveal-truck-left-profile-model-select.jpg

(Mod-edited) The class of 2016 engineer quoted talking about the batteries was a friend of mine in the EE major. We did homework together often and she's definitely smart and a hard worker.

It takes more than traditional smarts and hard work to be exceptional. Her quoted words make it clear she does not practice first principles thinking very well. Her mistake was assuming that batteries need to be serviceable like an ICE engine. Yes, Tesla made this mistake too but I know that is not necessary and I don't even direct the technical direction of a multi-billion dollar company.

It's more important that an engineer knows what they don't know than it is for them to be smart and think they know things they don't.

Last edited by a moderator: