Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The need to optimize cars for affordability, safety and efficiency of manufacture and operation was there before Tesla, it's just that the legacy automakers had become complacent and lazy.

This is true but there are some fundamental limitations on optimization that stem from architecture complexity.
ICE cars are fundamentally more expensive than EV, simply because of the higher number of necessary parts.

ICE went through a century of optimization already, EV is only through its first decade.

106155519-1569844702744starshipanim2.gif

And to think Elon also said :” probably Energy will be bigger than Cars”.

It’s like they know the future, or something. 😂
Speaking of Energy, why do the P&D reports only tell us P&D numbers for autos but nothing about Megapack & Powerwall production and sales? Powerwall numbers must really be adding up by now, yet we never even talk about Tesla's storage product sales or profit margin on those things; it's as if they didn't exist.

Speaking of Energy, why do the P&D reports only tell us P&D numbers for autos but nothing about Megapack & Powerwall production and sales? Powerwall numbers must really be adding up by now, yet we never even talk about Tesla's storage product sales or profit margin on those things; it's as if they didn't exist.
I am surprised that Tesla is still reporting P&D numbers... I wonder how long they will continue to do so, as the questions around growth are gone (IMO)

I've been selling on the run up to reduce my exposure but the share price increase has been outpacing my sales, today TSLA is still 85% of my portfolio value.
I sold all my options on Friday. A bit early I'd say. Didn't touch the chairs of course. Darn, my 850 little guy would have grown up by now.
But it's all good, all green!

Well, there is sandbagging, and then there is the 'sleeper' that quietly shows up and blows the doors off of everyone's expectations.

I think that Tesla Energy is a sleeper for the moment. As battery production is ramped to a level to support growth the energy side will continue to expand as fast as supply will allow.

Until then, Energy sits quietly in the shadows, poised to change the world in ways few have fully imagined.

Because Tesla is battery constrained. This will change as Megapack switchs over to LFP chemistry, and Tesla 4680 cells begin to set the price in the battery cell market.

I think this latter point is one of the most unappreciated aspects of Tesla's 4680 initiative. Whenever Tesla goes to negotiate (or re-negotiate) a price/supply contract with a 3rd party, they can say "nice price, that's only 25% higher than our own costs. What can you do for us? ;)

Cheers!

I believe Elon was asked about this on the call and said maybe it was time to think about it. Since they prioritized cars through the chip shortage/pandemic, he felt it would be misleading to do Energy updates.

I believe a similar request was asked at one of the last earnings calls, but shot down by Elon or Zack (or was I dreaming this, I couldn't fint it in the transcripts?). But given that Elon has said that he expects Tesla Energy will be at least at big as the auto business, I also anticipate more focus on this area in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed and capster
Has there been a mention of Tesla on CNBC since the beginning of this run ? Hilarious we popped thru 860 this morning, I've had CNBC on in the background......and not a peep.
Yeah, I got a chuckle that Fox ran a story how Porsche Taycan is outselling MS...hilarious how buried the mention of MS retooling and under reported and emphasized it was. Media is so manipulative, like clock work.