Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just sold a few shares. Forgot I had a "placeholder" GTC sell order sitting at $998.50 just in case of a squeeze. At least I nailed the recent high. Lol

Now where to buy back in? 985? Do I dream big and go for $980?
And I think it's safe to say that window is now closed. A cautionary tale of greed and missed opportunity!

As I memed, I'm taking delivery of M3P this week.
Ordered end of July with months out for delivery.
Oct 14 - got vin, schedule delivery but had to release because of trade-in title, loan in the air.
Oct 21 - got another vin, schedule delivery. Again had to release because of above
Oct 24 - got another vin, title, loan in place. Scheduled delivery for this week.

Los Angeles area. Lots of 3P? I maybe got put in back in line but are they fastracking me because of 3P? That quick?
As for trade-in (2018 3 LR Dual), Tesla's quote went down and CarMax went up. Selling to CarMax now.
Congrats! My wife's S LR refreshed is coming in 10-14 days. (red with white interior), ordered March 24. Sold 100 shares (3% of holdings) to pay for it. Happy day for all.

This is kind of a surprising catalyst IMO for a 15% move, breaking the $1000 wall and all. Hear me out: Hertz don't buy cars, do they? They lease? And all I've seen are news articles, not really any specific agreement, time line or anything. We know Tesla don't do deals (everyone pays the same) and that they are production constrained. So this is 98% PR - for both firms.

So my guess is: hugely up today. Retrace somewhat throughout the week?

Also, why does a ketchup company need so many cars?
Herrz buys their cars, some with a buyback agreement from the OEM. Surprising Facts About the Rental Car Industry | The Motley Fool
This may align with Tesla's planned robo-taxi fleet.

Heinz is the ketchup company.

Does anyone think today's action might be at least in part be due to benchmark funds who held out in buying TSLA now scrambling for shares? Them not buying shares after the S&P inclusion makes them almost like shorts.
Many were underweight and had 2 trading sessions to fix it after earnings. I'm sure some still failed to bite the bullet and are stuck buying in at ATH or waiting for a dip. Must be pretty embarrassing at this point, possibly career-ending?

This is kind of a surprising catalyst IMO for a 15% move, breaking the $1000 wall and all. Hear me out: Hertz don't buy cars, do they? They lease? And all I've seen are news articles, not really any specific agreement, time line or anything. We know Tesla don't do deals (everyone pays the same) and that they are production constrained. So this is 98% PR - for both firms.

So my guess is: hugely up today. Retrace somewhat throughout the week?

Also, why does a ketchup company need so many cars?
They buy cars... most rental agencies do (actually decent places to get used cars as their maintenance records are strong). The simple math of the deal, 4.2b * 30% by the end of next year is 1.26b. That makes it worth more than $1EPS (if Tesla can add capacity) for 2022. 2022 EPS has been valued at ~110x all year for Tesla... so assuming Tesla can add excess capacity for 100k, ~110 added to the share price actually makes sense. Now I don't know if Tesla can get that much capacity increase... but that is the simple back of the napkin math.

How hard can it be for FSD to learn perfectly the route back to the rental agency lot from departures? It's the same short route over and over. Imagine what a perk it would be to only ever drive to departures, get out and leave the car right there!

Good point. The FSD technology is, for the most part, ready to do that right now (at least for each major airport I've ever been to). All they would have to do is validate the tech for each airport for safety reasons. But something tells me that TSLA is close enough to a general solution that's good enough to work at most airports they won't bother with training/validating for specific locations.