Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this has been posted

Guys/gals, don’t go mental and bet the house on $TSLA call options. 😬 I only put in what I am willing to lose.

A companion video by @DaveT for the above article

I believe the qualifying car needs to have a gas tank no larger than 2.5 gallons

this is new. What kind of bizarre monstrosity has a 40kWh battery and 2.5 gallon tank with ICE guts also added rather than just a 20kWh larger battery for similar range? Which variant costs more? The gas is perhaps preferable for charging and range anxiety but likely the ICE motor is underpowered. Where’s Bob Lutz during all this? Playing euchre with Pelosi I imagine.

I'm reminded of the fact that keeping an ice drivetrain guarantees more labor whereas more batteries likely does not.

I suspect we'll know who is pulling the strings when the first company releases this galloping jalopy.

I'm just concerned about the lack of charging infrastructure. If you can't charge overnight and wake up to a fully charged car, then EVs can be kind of a PITA. I just spent a week in San Diego and I wasn't able to charge at the Airbnb I stayed at. You can't even search for places with EV charging on Airbnb. This is definitely going to be an issue for people renting EVs on their vacations and business trips.

I had our beach house listed on VRBO and over 3 years ago I told them I wanted the ability to add EV charging so when guests were looking for a place to stay, they could filter only the listings that had EV charging. I explained how important this was to our guests arriving by EV and that EV's would be a growing part of the guest base. I just checked and over three years later VRBO still doesn't offer that capability even though you can search only for places with a high-chair, ironing board, BBQ, Microwave, crib, a backyard or whether there is any cycling nearby. But not whether there is an outlet for EV charging. 🤪

This is professional business malpractice on VRBO's part.

I'm still trying to envision accommodations that don't have any nearby cycling! It must be quite a hike in with ladders and chutes if you can't ride a bicycle nearby.

Last edited:
Well, you will be happy to know that this particular problem has already been solved.

Airbnb does allow searching for EV charging (see below).

With more and more travelers wanting that feature I’m sure hosts will find ways to accommodate them (us).

View attachment 726970
Oh snap, I didn't see that. I did a search for finding a place for about a year from now, and there was very few listings in my price range. I'm hopeful that this Hertz deal will help change that.

Reactions: BitJam and EinSV
this is new. What kind of bizarre monstrosity has a 40kWh battery and 2.5 gallon tank with ICE guts also added rather than just a 20kWh larger battery for similar range? Which variant costs more? The gas is perhaps preferable for charging and range anxiety

There’s only one car that fits that description, but no longer in production since this summer:
194DFB62-32E6-4877-8994-342F696B3198.jpeg

Mostly OT: I highly doubt Elon is the richest person in the world.

Unlike the self-made upstarts listed in Forbes magazine, the richest people in the world got their money the old-fashioned way: inheritance and crime. They use their very large resources to stay out of the public eye, and control their wealth anonymously through shell corporations in tax havens around the globe. They probably pay Forbes researchers to keep them out of the magazine.

My evidence for this? Paranoia, logic, some reading about the Panama Papers and Pandora Papers, and observation of the amount of lying in media like Forbes magazine. If the financial media report something, odds are good that it is false.
It is an open secret that some of the old-money rich pay Forbes to stay off the list. This is something Forbes even sort of acknowledged awhile back.

This is why you don't see the Queen of England, the Emperor of Japan, and other royalties on the list. A lot of European old-money stay off the list too, of which the most famous are the Rothschilds. You can see an interesting list of the richest families here, almost all of which avoid being on the list. The old-money rich mostly hide their wealth in offshore accounts and are therefore invisible.

The reality is that the Forbes list unfairly targets self-made rich who founded companies, because their wealth is a matter of public record. Most of the wealthy are stealthy, and it's not hard to see why.

Oh snap, I didn't see that. I did a search for finding a place for about a year from now, and there was very few listings in my price range. I'm hopeful that this Hertz deal will help change that.
This is such a good point! The Hertz deal will soon catapult EVs into the mainstream in the US.

Elon has lamented that he would have had questions for Steve Jobs, were he still around.

If you think about what Jobs weighed in a successor, he had two choices:

1) a product person like himself, or
2) a logistics person that could keep the company running.

If you look at where Musk has worked to develop strength, you kind of figure out that he is already asking and listening to Jobs by where he invests to improve himself.

Just an observation.

Hmm, Hertz is getting a strong response to Tesla move. Contemplating increasing the order to 150,000. So when travelers rent these 150,000 Teslas, where will they lodge? Hotels and other destinations may need to step up their EV charging accommodations.
I think this is going to be the most unexpected effect of the Hertz deal. With the supercharger network, it’s no problem to get anywhere (in Europe), but once you’re at your location you need to be able to charge. That has been the biggest problem in our travels. Having a big player in the travel industry normalising EV travel will accelerate hotel and B&B charging infrastructure buildout. Being able to charge where you spend the night is the most convenient way to charge. And it’s ok to charge at slow speeds then.