Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost certainly not. Though with the volume today he could easily slide in some activity. He could have a broker do it over a month or too.

That's FAR from certain. The best way for Elon to conduct his sales w/o unduly affecting the SP would be to prearrange sales with several large customers (ie: Balley-Gifford, Norway's Sovereign Wealth fund, or any one of more than a dozen under-weight BMs funds...)

It'd be foolish and wasteful of this glorious dip to prolong the sales period. That's why tweet.

As I said, we'll know within 3 days of the sale when Tesla is required to file SEC Form 4.

Pepsi preordered 100 Tesla semis back in 2017

Attachments

• EB6D2CC9-C2E1-4086-A935-9CB9FF85438D.png
    EB6D2CC9-C2E1-4086-A935-9CB9FF85438D.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 149
Tesla hand makes 5ish? Says here you go Pepsi, have at it, try ‘em out, feedback us. Win-win.
Exactly! I am surprised that a small number haven’t already been delivered so any issues with real life usage can be found and improvements made before mass production.
Logically 5-10 semis should be given to a customer who then uses them over a year in different weather with close feedback for Tesla, so any issues can be picked up before larger numbers are produced and given to other customers.

Ahh. I haven’t been keeping track of the semi. I had no idea it was going into production. I thought it was delayed until late next year or whatever. Maybe I’m thinking of the Cybertruck.

Cheers.
Might as well be some beta or RC prototypes to get some third party testing and validation.
Was Pepsi the first official order to make them a possible launch customer?
If it is indeed real production, then that was some skunk works magic...

Reactions: SOULPEDL and MD70
I really hope they start initial production this quarter, even if it is only 5/week. Even though each Semi takes the batteries for 5-10 cars they will probably have a greater positive impact on the environment due to their comparatively high utilisation factor.

Tesla should just offer the LFP batteries in the Semi: not every customer needs to haul 55K lbs over 500 miles down the Interstate. Pepsi is hauling Doritos across town. Those corn chips ain't that heavy.

Tesla hand makes 5ish? Says here you go Pepsi, have at it, try ‘em out, feedback us. Win-win.
Pepsi gets the same boost Hertz does even if it is only 5 or so by all their TV commercials showing Pepsi products delivered in an environmentally conscious and super cool truck emblazoned with a Tesla logo on the front. And Tesla gets more free advertising. Shorts are shorted yet again. I wonder if Musk knew this was the time to make the stock sale announcement. Sell high or hold.

Here's the link to the Pepsi video. I love that Cramer asks about Rivian and hydrogen ( :rolleyes: ) and the CEO tells him it's Tesla:

He didn't say Q4 2021, I assume he expects Q4 2022. If he meant this quarter, wouldn't he have said "this quarter"? Or "this month or next month".

Q4 2021 is not close to what Tesla guided for 2 weeks ago in the ER. And we already know Tesla is going to be their own first customer for testing purposes and we haven't seen that at all yet.

Elon's sale is not that much of TSLA's total float. So at worst I think this sale is just a short buying opportunity. I think Elon's actually been contemplating this sale for a while in order to fund the Mars stuff plus other ventures like Neuralink and Boring.
agreed - and I would add that he probably also spent some time contemplating his ability to accelerate those plans if more than half of those funds weren't vaporized in taxes - funds that this administration would redirect to proposals designed to ultimately slow or stall his plans completely - like we have seen in portions of the Infrastructure Bill. I must share a couple of my opinions on the larger picture unfolding around the minutia that the media is trying to hold us in:

We are seeing Robert Reich screaming at the top of his lungs for the government to receive a greater portion of Elon's war chest so that the government can do better things with it - which for me is perhaps the greatest hypocrisy of this moment IMO. Reich served under Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter............and then became the Secretary of Labor under Bill Clinton. Reich - as both an economist and as a Secretary of Labor of all things - knows first-hand that Elon is deploying the Tesla war chest more efficiently and more effectively than the US Government could ever conceive of doing, and he must know Tesla is creating jobs faster than the US Government can, and Tesla is doing so with a laser focus in the Climate Change-areas that the Sanders campaign insisted must be front-and-center. 100% of these these new Tesla jobs are 100% focused on accelerating the transition away from fossil fuels and create a more sustainable Planet. IIRC Reich had at one time denounced 'Obama the Centrist', and he had chosen to endorse Sanders over Hillary. And now he is watching Tesla move faster than any government on the Planet to accelerate the Climate-friendly goals that Sanders had endorsed in The Green New Deal. And yet here all 4' 11" of him stands tall, screaming on social media that Elon is the problem and that our current Centrist administration must have more access to Elon's war chest. Somewhere along the line he took an off ramp to Mars before Elon could get there.

And CNBC - who has kept GJ front-and-center on their programs to denounce all that Elon is and all that Tesla might accomplish must be waking up with a bigger headache than some of the potential buyers of Elon's shares this morning after GJ's tweetstorm against Reich..............which one could easily interpret from the 50,000 foot level as a defense of Elon and Tesla - and many, many people on Twitter are interpreting it that way. Did GJ's handlers approve of his Tweet hammer on Reich before he posted it? Did CNBC's handlers know that Tweet was even coming? This is perhaps the ultimate irony in the fallout of Elon's weekend Twitter poll for me - GJ points out to Reich (the Secretary of Labor under Bill Clinton) that the Biden administration could not in any way deploy any portion of Elon's war chest as efficiently and effectively as Elon can..........and GJ does so by citing real examples while CNBC programmers sigh.

Throw on top of that the potential over-weekend revelations regarding Senator Wyden's stock positions after Wyden goes full tilt on Elon - only for Wyden to be permanently remembered with Elon's Tweet response of the picture of Wyden's face, and I would suggest the Tesla Venn Diagram might need to include a few more variables:

1636388681572.png

Last edited:
May I suggest that Elon buy 2 republican senators with the left over proceeds of his tax sale. It appears that currently only 2 senators are needed to pass or block any legislation. This way Elon will have total control over almost any US legislation until the next 'election'. 🤷‍♀️
Seemed to work for the UAW/Big 3 to get the Union made and PHEV rebate BS added.

• Disagree
Reactions: floydboy
He didn't say Q4 2021, I assume he expects Q4 2022. If he meant this quarter, wouldn't he have said "this quarter"? Or "this month or next month".

Q4 2021 is not close to what Tesla guided for 2 weeks ago in the ER. And we already know Tesla is going to be their own first customer for testing purposes and we haven't seen that at all yet.

He said "we are getting our first deliveries this Q4". "This Q4" sounds like 2021.
However, I have known more than one CEO who didn't have a good grasp on details on such mundane things as fleet purchases. I would not be surprised if the deliveries are 2022 and he was updated but forgot. He may have been caught of guard by the question.