Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FC09B950-32FF-45E2-A713-5C050A20E9E9.png

Hello friends, and to everyone who has served their Country.

Today is Veteran's Day in the USA, Rememberance Day in Commonwealth Countries, and across much of the Western world.

I post this Memorial here on the 11 day, of the 11th month, at the 11th hour:

I have no interest in tracking the money or reading the chicken entrails. I already know how this comes out. The irony is double. It looks like the oil companies and automakers have no possibility of losing this one. In reality, they have no way to win it. One man has them totally surrounded, outnumbered, and outgunned.

Elon Musk.

Bite it bitch.
And bury me next to Seth Rich.

Jack Rickard
Lest we Forget

Soldier walking in a field.jpg

Thank you for your service, Sir
We remember you.

The risk of placing an order is, for all practical purposes, zero. It can't hurt to buy a ticket for a place in line.
If Robotaxi isn't ready then I still think I have a decent shot at flipping some of my early CT orders for a profit, or to family/friends that might want one. Or if not then I'll cancel them as needed. Even if that $100 wasn't refundable it would be a good investment.

I'll keep my under 5k reservation number tri motor truck for myself of course.

I was thinking about this very concept in my sleep last night. I wonder if it would be possible or prudent to set a recurring buy order for a fixed number of shares on a fixed interval and not pay attention at all to the stock price. Something like; buy one share every morning at 10am, or every Tuesday morning at open, or the 3rd trading day of the month at noon, or whatever your budget, whim and comfort level may be. It would be a form of forced savings and Dollar-Cost-Averaging share accumulation.

Statistically speaking, the most efficient way to buy an asset that appreciates over time, albeit one that appreciates with unpredictable volatility, is to buy as soon as possible, as soon as the money is available.

Unlike much investment wisdom you see repeated often, this is actually a fact, the only remaining question is to question one of the premises: "Is the volatility predictable?". I would suggest that it's not, at least not in any manner that is worth chasing with laddered regular purchases. You could back-check the theory that it might be best to buy at a particular time of day but I think it wouldn't be too productive. Even if a pattern was identified, that pattern could change or even reverse as soon as you implemented your strategy.

Last edited:
Elon probably wants to drag this out for as long as possible to keep a leash on the stock price. The 1k threshold at which GS and MS stepped back from selling signaled to the market that $1k is a good price from an institutional POV so it's not all bad. He's sacrificing financially to buy his employees as much time to accumulate as possible. This is also the reason I think another stock split is unlikely at this point.

Last edited:
Yep after hours likes this.

No offense to Jay...but he probably has the reaction time of a pot smoking turtle....a few tenths anyway.

Reaction time isn't counted in the E.T. (it's only once the front tires trip the clock staging lights).

Reaction time only matters for triggering the 'Win' lights at the finish line (1st to cross wins)

Cheers!

I don't know if Gary simply uses language in an imprecise manner or if he completely misunderstands what is going on here. As far as I know, this is not a company selling shares, it's an individual. TSLA granted the options to Elon, he exercised them and is selling them privately. Does Tesla, as a company, offer their employees (management) a service that assists with liquidating compensation paid in the form of stock options?

In any case, far too much is being made of this. The market can, and will, easily digest these sales. It's a mere ripple in time. I can see how the "not knowing" would ruffle the feathers of those who were trying to make a quick buck based on nothing more than guessing what might happen before this happened, but that uncertainty is exactly what people signed up for when they decided to make a quick buck! It's a big nothing-burger!

An interesting article in the FT about UK company Johnson Matthey exiting their nickel cobalt cathode production. There might be some talent up for grabs and a couple of well located sites for GigaBerlin to accelerate cathode material production.

Subscribe to read | Financial Times

The group had been betting big on developing a jet-black substance called eLNO, made from nickel, cobalt and lithium and used in cathodes, the most expensive part of an electric car’s battery.

London-based Johnson Matthey previously said its cathodes would help increase the range and reduce the cost of batteries and it had been building eLNO production sites in Poland and Finland at a total cost of £800m-£850m.

Elon probably wants to drag this out for as long as possible to keep a leash on the stock price. The 1k threshold at which GS and MS stepped back from selling signaled to the market that $1k is a good price from an institutional POV so it's not all bad. He's sacrificing financially to buy his employees as much time to accumulate as possible. This is also the reason I think another stock split is unlikely at this point.
Sorry but this thought process that Elon is purposely hurting the stock in order to get better stock prices for FUTURE Tesla employees just silly and dumb…..and I great way to piss of your current employees

Sorry but this thought process that Elon is purposely hurting the stock in order to get better stock prices for FUTURE Tesla employees just silly and dumb…..and I great way to piss of your current employees
"Hurting" the stock is subjective. Is there a way to unload 17m+ shares without "hurting" the stock? Is there a model somewhere for this kind of scenario? I'm all in and I don't feel hurt at all. I feel very rewarded for holding the stock and even better now that my only holding is not a toy for the FOMO crowd any longer, at least for the next few months.

I've seen the same idea floated that he's doing it to help retail shareholders buy the dip- it wasn't any more compelling in that version either.

Data from WA state:

ASP for the Model Y near $60K in September.
Model S ASP at least with the available data it's at ATH.

ASPModelCountMonth
54232.82​
Model Y
262​
Jan-21​
48319.76​
Model 3
42​
Jan-21​
87980​
Model X
2​
Jan-21​
53221.14​
Model Y
348​
Feb-21​
46220.24​
Model 3
41​
Feb-21​
55265.35​
Model Y
1003​
Mar-21​
47735.05​
Model 3
657​
Mar-21​
56786.59​
Model Y
261​
Apr-21​
47099.02​
Model 3
41​
Apr-21​
56344.03​
Model Y
124​
May-21​
46326.49​
Model 3
37​
May-21​
59540.64​
Model Y
1241​
Jun-21​
50108.29​
Model 3
851​
Jun-21​
118921.5​
Model S
73​
Jun-21​
55805.83​
Model Y
216​
Jul-21​
46675.53​
Model 3
152​
Jul-21​
104513.7​
Model S
38​
Jul-21​
57329.45​
Model Y
531​
Aug-21​
49202.21​
Model 3
321​
Aug-21​
123575.7​
Model S
49​
Aug-21​
59991.38​
Model Y
826​
Sep-21​
51451.38​
Model 3
784​
Sep-21​
121576.5​
Model S
85​
Sep-21​
I'm starting to think this quarter will have earnings per share of $3 or $4...

That's why I find this breather a big relief. I want TSLA to be an out-standing stock, not an over-hyped flash-in-the-pan, washed up, has been. No good ever comes from an over-extended stock price. I fully support Elon's actions and laugh at the blind know-nothings counting their daily gold coins who can't see the wisdom contained in what he is doing. We are more fortunate than many of you will ever know to have such an outstanding leader who sees the big picture and takes action to guide the company on the best possible path for all shareholders (which is, incidentally, every inhabitant of the planet). His hands are full and yet still he manages to guide the ship(s) in a manner that I find incredibly adequate (under-statement of the century).

Statistically speaking, the most efficient way to buy an asset that appreciates over time, albeit one that appreciates with unpredictable volatility, is to buy as soon as possible, as soon as the money is available.

Unlike much investment wisdom you see repeated often, this is actually a fact, the only remaining question is to question one of the premises: "Is the volatility predictable?". I would suggest that it's not, at least not in any manner that is worth chasing with laddered regular purchases. You could back-check the theory that it might be best to buy at a particular time of day but I think it wouldn't be too productive. Even if a pattern was identified, that pattern could change or even reverse as soon as you implemented your strategy.
I think this is true if buying a significant number of shares.

For me, buying in quantities from 1 to 25, leaving the buy order out in after hours for people to come down and get, or to take advantage of the sometimes large swings, seems to work when the stock is going sideways.

I don't think that's the reason, but he does have a habit of throwing cold water on big increases. As to why, that's the question. I suspect it might just be that he doesn't like the headlines "rich man get's richer".

Reactions: aubreymcfato