Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Berlin withdraws application for 1.1B Euro Battery funding.

I've no idea why, yet. The 1.1B Euro state/EU funding was almost a done deal. Maybe Tesla is more agile without it.

Edit: Tesla will still build the battery production and recycling facility in Grünheide/Berlin. There are hints in German news that 2000 employees will work just there.

Last edited:
NPR, story friday
(paraphrasing a bit, but partially quoted)

“…….you want to go all electric, turn your house into a _Tesla_!…”
go all electric, generate all your electricity and more
(nice positive press)
plus the _slope_ on the 20 day graph is upwards
Post in thread 'TSLA Technical Analysis'
TSLA Technical Analysis

Last edited:
China woes as the catalyst to the down futures. Threatening to force DIDI to de-list from the NYSE.
Yes. If China can do that to didi then it can do that to XPing and Neo, if there is a reason to do so.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Nocturnal and UCF3
Does anybody know how does this mutant is really affected by the vaccines. Doctors in the house can confirm?
There seems to be some indication that this variant has some changes in the region of the spike protein (the part of the virus where the vaccines have targeted) which could make the vaccines less effective. Too soon to say what impact this will have but enough to cause the FUD meter to spike.

Does anybody know how does this mutant is really affected by the vaccines. Doctors in the house can confirm?
We don’t know yet. Without any data the answer is probably not. Numbers for South Africa seems to indicate a very rapid growth(6x) compared to Delta in a population with some prior immunity, but these numbers are not very reliable. The Hong Kong case with a double vaccinated giving it to another double vaccinated staying on the same floor in quarantine increase the likelihood.

If I was a health official I would be very worried and close the borders until we know more. If there was only a 10% chance of the virus escaping immunity and being as easily transmissible or more than delta as this would be much worse than 2020. That governments are not reacting seems to indicate that their experts either believe that there is low risk of this unless they are terrible at strategy.

Hard to judge how to weight these different facts.

Any chance that those "heavy mutations" could also make the virus less lethal in humans, still highly contagious but more symbiotic with its host body?
Imo a low chance. Unfortuneately covid-19 kills after the virus is pretty much gone from the host. So the virus doesn’t have any benefit from keeping the host alive. So unlike many other viruses it does not seem to mutate towards being less deadly, it has been getting more deadly as the virus has evolved to spread faster.

FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR ANY COVID DISCUSSION
@amolina
corona virus thread link

Last edited by a moderator:

I've no idea why, yet. The 1.1B Euro state/EU funding was almost a done deal. Maybe Tesla is more agile without it.

Edit: Tesla will still build the battery production and recycling facility in Grünheide/Berlin. There are hints in German news that 2000 employees will work just there.
Not really an explanation, but…

Are we sure that Tesla is no longer taking the subsidies because Germany has a system for multiple public discussion periods on subsidies, and the facility would be delayed forever?

Elon is smart here. Some subsidies will make a 5 year business case look great, but the factory will be there for 50 years plus.

I worked at a Ford Plant that made electronics built in the early 90's in the EU because of subsidies. It was closed in 20 years. The location in southern Spain was too remote and there was a lack of labor needed for the plant. The location decision was based on the short term subsidy, rather than the best location long term for the plant.

Are we sure that Tesla is no longer taking the subsidies because Germany has a system for multiple public discussion periods on subsidies, and the facility would be delayed forever?
I think it is because Elon got upset that people thinks Tesla's and Spacex's successes are mainly due to government subsidies and he does not want Germans to pick on that as the main topic of discussion for the next 10 years. He even pulled up his very old tweet exchange from the back of his mind and responded to it just now.

Tweet from @existentialcoms · May 11, 2018

The government invested more money in Telsa & SpaceX than you, by far. They have no voting shares because you sell off overinflated stocks to keep the public from having a say in your run your publicly funded companies. Subsidies are a drop in the bucket.

Last edited:
@PokerFJÆS

@amolina
corona virus thread link

Thank you for showing the way to that thread. That's the only place where in-depth corona talk belongs. I see that a while ago another mod moved the thread to the Off Topic-section. I can't disagree with that. The observation that the market is panicking (as usual) about something unknown is enough information for the investor thread.

I think it is because Elon got upset that people thinks Tesla's and Spacex's successes are mainly due to government subsidies and he does not want Germans to pick on that as the main topic of discussion for the next 10 years. He even pulled up his very old tweet exchange from the back of his mind and responded to it just now.

Tweet from @existentialcoms · May 11, 2018

The government invested more money in Telsa & SpaceX than you, by far. They have no voting shares because you sell off overinflated stocks to keep the public from having a say in your run your publicly funded companies. Subsidies are a drop in the bucket.

Possible. However, I also think that it's possible that Elon/Tesla have figured out that, after seeing how much delay is involved with getting these subsidies, it's actually MORE profitable for them to just disregard the subsidy so that they can start earlier and start making profits earlier. Also more inline with the mission and, like you mentioned, they can now say that one less government subsidy is involved in their success.

Possible. However, I also think that it's possible that Elon/Tesla have figured out that, after seeing how much delay is involved with getting these subsidies, it's actually MORE profitable for them to just disregard the subsidy so that they can start earlier and start making profits earlier. Also more inline with the mission and, like you mentioned, they can now say that one less government subsidy is involved in their success.
Reading between the lines, it shows that the 4680 process is good enough to construct the factory ASAP, rather than using the waiting time for the subsidy to do some more development iterations.

Reading between the lines, it shows that the 4680 process is good enough to construct the factory ASAP, rather than using the waiting time for the subsidy to do some more development iterations.
There is also the experience with NY state and Buffalo. Independence seems thematic with Tesla these days. A good sign IMO.

I would hate to see EM in any way appearing similar to the way Amazon shopped for handouts when expanding their business.