Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if it was already given but Buttigieg (Transportation secretary) gave a rebuttal to Elon's comments about dumping the EV subsidy. It is nice to at least get some effort at an explanation before 100s of Billions goes out the door at least, though I don't personally find the arguments compelling as someone who is aware of opportunity cost as an economic concept.

Are we seriously doubting the obvious positive impacts of EV subsides? On a tesla forum? Weighing a bit of government debt over the much needed combat against climate change?? Every country that has implemented a EV tax credit has seen a big boost in EV adoption, in what is a critical piece of transitioning away from the fossil fuel economy.

You know we dont have to parrot every single thing Elon says as gospel. His positioning yesterday against EV subsidies was silly for someone who is obviously very much against climate change.

Well, what's your hope and inspired dream of what's being created with Tesla then? Not really looking for an answer because there isn't one!
Oh, there is one… and here you’ll get just a few comments.

Tesla has done a GREAT deal with respect to Automation, probably more than any other automaker at this point, but if they really want to move to the volume they inspire to (10M+WW) they need to move to better software integration in manufacturing AND better inventory management and integration AND, supply chain and in factory robotics to enable that. I haven’t seen that (both from reports and IN the factories)

they probably need to get someone from Amszon fulfillment to come and give them input as to how to effectively and EFFICIENTLY move components of the BOM to the right place at the right time in order to enable the automation required for a built to order model, and to continue the line at a predictable pace.. That isnt’ there, hasn’t happened and probably won’t for a while. They are spread too thin and not focused on that point.. it will come, I’m not sure Elon sees it, as omniscient as people think he is, but it will come. Probably not soon, but probably soon enough - call it 3 years.

Spot the koolaid drinkers - voting with a “thumbs down” to my post above - who somehow believe that EV subsidies are a bad thing now, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Who needs TSLAQ when we have these folks?
They are certainly one aspect, which has struggled in the US without a decent enough stick and relatively cheap gas prices etc

Reactions: navguy12
Spot the koolaid drinkers - voting with a “thumbs down” to my post above - who somehow believe that EV subsidies are a bad thing now, despite all evidence to the contrary.

If gasoline was 2-4X more expensive, like in Europe, we wouldn't need as many subsidies for EVs. Let's get rid of gas subsidies already.

Why do we need this EV Bill anyway? I honestly don't understand.

Tesla sells and will sell each car they make. This bill will do nothing to speed up production at Tesla.

If Tesla achieves milestones shown during Battery Day then demand will not become an issue.

Judging by the Biden speech this EV Bill is mostly about Unions and throwing a lifeline to car salesmen who not so long ago spent millions lobbying against Tesla. GM was viscous in the campaign to stop Tesla from selling directly to consumers.

I've been against EV part of the bill from the beginning. There will be no more teslas on the road with EV bill as without the bill.

The EV credit will certainly help adoption of EVs, but it won't push the industry forward as long as it allows for inefficient uses. IE plug in hybrids. When that happens, you get what GM did with the Volt and used up most of their credit there and a phoned in EV in the Bolt. Get rid of those inclusions and I think we can all agree they will help adoption.

Now with Tesla specifically, with their scale and margins, it is pretty clear that all the credits will do is increase market share and margins. For Tesla that could be very healthy, for the market in general... it may not.

IMO a better use of the funds would be credits for efficiency targets with a minimum of 250-300mi of range.

If gasoline was 2-4X more expensive, like in Europe, we wouldn't need as many subsidies for EVs. Let's get rid of gas subsidies already.

Personally, I think gas will increase in usage during the transition. Remember, human progress drives greater demand worldwide. Increase the price of gas will impede progress through inflation for the aggregate. This complex transition is going to require continued growth while the sustainability transition occurs concurrently. Until it's glaringly obvious to all *voters* that dirty fuel is good to go, then will subsidies likely go away too IMO. Happy to be wrong.

Its the people who disagree with you but don’t want to engage in a debate about government policy which doesn’t really affect TSLA one way or the other.

This whole topic is a whole lot more nuanced than “You agree with me or you hate EVs”. Maybe you should start another thread rather than try and drum up a debate in the main one.

Last edited:
Apologies if it was already given but Buttigieg (Transportation secretary) gave a rebuttal to Elon's comments about dumping the EV subsidy. It is nice to at least get some effort at an explanation before 100s of Billions goes out the door at least, though I don't personally find the arguments compelling as someone who is aware of opportunity cost as an economic concept.

It is a great explanation but the bill is designed to give consumers a discount on gas vehicles which have a tiny little battery in them.
That is still in the bill right? In other words a bailout for GM to keep people buying their ICE.
Most budget strapped Midwest families when given the choice will look at a $25,000 Tesla (whenever it comes out) and the GM $25,000 hybrid and pick the GM product only because they get the extra $4500 back. They will not have the budget to install a charger and they really won't care. They will just drive it like a gas car.

Second point, "The former Democratic presidential hopeful said a $12,500 tax credit can buy down the cost of a $40,000 electric truck “into the high 20s."...."
There will be no fully electric truck at $40,000 sold in the USA for at least 2-4 years and it won't be Union members creating them. The current administration may have been told a story about a $40,000 BEV that will be for sale but we all know reality. The stealerships alone will mark that up to $60K upon arrival.

Did we ever decide if the Union Company EV had to be made by Union members or does the company just required to have a Union member somewhere? Like the Ford plant in Tennessee that has a good chance of being non-Union or the made in Mexico Mach-E.

I honestly stopped following the whole thing once I realized we will get what the UAW wants. Plus either way I don't think it hurts Tesla. Realistically while I think the bill should be scrapped so we can get real BEVs, it will do nothing harmful to the EV movement except add to the national deficit.