Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a shame they put the intern they weren't intending to hire full time on this. The alpha version is a copy paste of the offering that every insurance company already offers if you want to plug something into your car to prove you are a "safe driver." It's been 3 months now, where are the improvements?

Honestly, I think Tesla hasn't even put AI to the task of insurance rates yet, at least not sophisticated AI. They just created a simplistic framework based on very basic data. The current safety score system was almost certainly based on something more important (at this time) to the company than fine-tuning insurance rates to be as accurate as possible. Namely, assisting with limiting the roll-out of FSD Beta to insure it primarily only ends up in cars with enthusiasts who really wanted it. This will reduce the number of casual users of FSD and therefore stupid FSD accidents. The safety score is BS but it's achieving its goals at minimal cost and distraction of their top AI people. Tesla is an incredibly efficient company and that is how they can be so profitable even at the relatively small volume of cars they produce and sell. Talent is the limiting factor.

As for more sophisticated scoring for insurance purposes, patience, it will come. Tesla's biggest job is creating the framework for their insurance business and that's a big job that won't be helped by their customer base growing too rapidly. In time they will fine tune the billing, rates for low-risk customers will go lower and those for high-risk customers will go higher or stay the same, the volume of insurance customers will balloon and profits will become super-charged. It will be all about volume and Tesla will achieve that volume while maintaining margins by figuring out who they can give low rates to. This is not a business to jump into too quickly and the real work is getting licensed in all the states.

How do you know it hasnt improved? I would imagine most of the improvements will occur on the back end and we wont even know it in the app.
I’ll just offer a quick comment that Teslas interest in insurance is primarily related to removing it as an obstacle IMO. It might be an obstacle for autonomous driving if insurance is a unavailable.

Obstacle removed now move on. I would be very surprised if there is an “Insurance Day” for investors.

Honestly, I think Tesla hasn't even put AI to the task of insurance rates yet, at least not sophisticated AI. They just created a simplistic framework based on very basic data. The current safety score system was almost certainly based on something more important (at this time) to the company than fine-tuning insurance rates to be as accurate as possible. Namely, assisting with limiting the roll-out of FSD Beta to insure it primarily only ends up in cars with enthusiasts who really wanted it. This will reduce the number of casual users of FSD and therefore stupid FSD accidents. The safety score is BS but it's achieving its goals at minimal cost and distraction of their top AI people. Tesla is an incredibly efficient company and that is how they can be so profitable even at the relatively small volume of cars they produce and sell. Talent is the limiting factor.

As for more sophisticated scoring for insurance purposes, patience, it will come. Tesla's biggest job is creating the framework for their insurance business and that's a big job that won't be helped by their customer base growing too rapidly. In time they will fine tune the billing, rates for low-risk customers will go lower and those for high-risk customers will go higher or stay the same, the volume of insurance customers will balloon and profits will become super-charged. It will be all about volume and Tesla will achieve that volume while maintaining margins by figuring out who they can give low rates to. This is not a business to jump into too quickly and the real work is getting licensed in all the states.
A stable understandable, try before you buy, score is important to this customer. It might be for others as well.

I'm going to make a prediction.

One that is based upon observation of recent cause and effect data. Specifically, that data being how doing MTB trail work has on multiple previous occasions seemingly benefited the stock price whenever I have put myself in a position to make myself so sore I can hardly move by the end of the day. :oops:

My prediction? Doing volunteer work today and tomorrow will keep the SP in the green throughout the weekend! ;)

I've drawn the line in the sand (literally, this time), and double dog dare the Hedgies, Shortzez, and other MMs to give it their best shot to alter the outcome of this precisely calculated wager! 😁

Let's see how this gambit plays out!

any particular reason behind your specificity? count me in as one of the lost souls like @OrthoSurg amazed by SP changes from <5% float sold.
The thing I did not get was someone pointing out to me that the amount of money invested in a stock was the amount of the stock price x the amount of shares which is not true. If everyone is diamond hand on a stock and a couple new buyers come invest 100M and nobody is ready to sell, the valuation can increase 600M

I just finished a book written by a writer in France explaining why there are almost no 1B+ valuation companies in Europe compared to USA and China. Too many regulations prevents start up from surviving when they are burning cash like crazy. If that was Tesla first factory, Germany would have made them go bankrupt. I have seen the live world action of what the author was explaining in his book. I’m not even surprised now. It is sad to see innovation killed by regulations on the old continent.

TitreInnover comme Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos et Steve Jobs / Alain Dupas, Jean-Christophe Messina, Cyril de Sousa Cardoso.

No, no, no. Please don't switch to Tesla Insurance!

If you don't stay with Progressive, who will be paying for the 69,420 Progressive commercials I'll watch in 2022?!?
Elon entering the insurance business is going to start eating Warren Buffet’s lunch slowly. One of the most lucrative business there is out there.

TLDR: Once you buy a Tesla you're hooked.

An hour ago I was walking home from my local bar. Its a 5 minute walk. I saw a grey Model 3 reversing into a cul de sac near where I live, and I was interested. Anyway, I followed it down the road to have a chat with the driver (a "Tesla stalker" as my wife calls me). Previously there had been a white Model 3 parked outside the house. The driver was a nice bloke in his 60s and was happy to chat. He had picked up his new car today! He said it was the best car he's ever had and the reason he got a replacement now, was because of the >300 mile range. There is a kind of camaraderie amongst Tesla drivers. I'm on my first but I can't envisage buying any other make. Young or old, car buyers know a good car when they drive one and once you're in, you're in .

Good story. I parked at the Hamburg PA supercharger yesterday which isn't even operational yet, I was just there to get some lunch at the Wawa, when a guy in a blue M3 pulled up a minute later and parked there too. We both got to talking about our cars for like 20 minutes right there by the inoperative Tesla supercharger.

It's a Tesla thing, if you don't own one you wouldn't understand. :cool:

Good story. I parked at the Hamburg PA supercharger yesterday which isn't even operational yet, I was just there to get some lunch at the Wawa, when a guy in a blue M3 pulled up a minute later and parked there too. We both got to talking about our cars for like 20 minutes right there by the inoperative Tesla supercharger.

It's a Tesla thing, if you don't own one you wouldn't understand. :cool:
oh nice, glad they’re putting one there. that helps me out tremendously when i have to make trips to hershey to see family.

Here is a drone flyover by Tobias Lindh of yesterday, December 17th. Looks like construction work is progressing. Could construction work still be on the critical path timeline (as opposed to the final permit) to getting this plant open?

"The second floor of the lobby got outer walls (4:20) and construction of the final parking area continued (0:20) at Tesla's Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg. The area for the southern road and loading bays is getting prepared (6:20), more roads have been paved with asphalt (8:30, 10:30, 18:10, 32:20), new street lights are installed (10:40, 14:25, 30:20). Roof material for the waste water treatment plant arrived (9:10) and two chimneys have been installed at the central utility building (9:25). Pipes are getting installed in the pipe racks (15:20) and a tank has been installed in the central utility building (15:20). Four covered Model Y are parked at the new northern parking area (12:21) and trash parts from casting and stamping can be seen in containers (19:55, 29:45). Concrete is getting poured on the third floor of the cell production building (21:00), the cell formation section is growing (23:00) and more roof panels are getting installed (27:20)."

GF Berlin and BF Austin need to open as the catalyst to get TSLA to break out from its current funk.

I think Elon should very publicly invite the new German chancellor to the Giga Austin opening.

The same PR victory will be realized if he comes or does not come: it will be a big embarrassment for Germany, as it will showcase to the entire world, and business communities everywhere, German endemic corruption and bureaucratic incompetence - this will speed up the process of opening up Giga Berlin.

Last edited:
I just finished a book written by a writer in France explaining why there are almost no 1B+ valuation companies in Europe compared to USA and China. Too many regulations prevents start up from surviving when they are burning cash like crazy. If that was Tesla first factory, Germany would have made them go bankrupt. I have seen the live world action of what the author was explaining in his book. I’m not even surprised now. It is sad to see innovation killed by regulations on the old continent.

TitreInnover comme Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos et Steve Jobs / Alain Dupas, Jean-Christophe Messina, Cyril de Sousa Cardoso.

Sounds like a very interesting book. Would very much like to read it. Too bad there seems to be no English translation.....