Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how much do you think Tesla dealers will markup the CT? šŸ¤Ŗ Do the Ford dealers at least include undercoating and pin striping for that $30k?
Don't forget the rust proofing.

Bought 25 more chairs today. Close to all in. Seems silly I didnā€™t decide this 5 days ago, but itā€™s gonna look cheap next year IMHO.
You aren't the only one. Macro has looked sketchy for the past few weeks. I have been a little too conservative.

The wakeup call happens when your cul de sac neighbours go to buy a new ICE vehicle and want to finance the purchase and are asked to provide collateral since that new ICE vehicle can no longer act as its own collateral.

I suspect there will be expendable finance companies set up for the purpose of financing ICE cars when reputable finance companies refuse to back ICE loans. There are many ways to structure such pools of capital so that investors in the finance company end up taking the loss when the finance company goes bankrupt. I think, one way or another, legacy manufacturers will ensure there is financing available for their products right up until the bitter end. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I think part of the explanation of the differences between your two recent experiences is explained by the fact that @Bet TSLA had no previous experience with deliveries post 2017, ie, after high volume Model 3 deliveries began. The norm before this were deliveries characterized by pampering and attention to detail as Tesla was very much a boutique automaker selling limited numbers of cars priced well into luxury territory. It was a shock to most early Tesla customers when the Model 3 started selling in large numbers and getting the cars in customers hands became more important than exactly how they got there. This is one thing of many that is driving rising margins as people are Tesla's most valuable and most costly asset.
As it turns out I have significantly more experience with more recent deliveries than 2017, just not of my own vehicles. I've gone with friends to help them take delivery of their Teslas. And I've helped Tesla out several times with the end of quarter craziness at their Fremont Delivery Center. Once I was there for over eight hours, until well after midnight. Lots of fun! Many people waited around for hours as their deliveries were completed.

Anyway, yes, the whole process has become much more perfunctory (and efficient) since I took delivery of my first Model S in 2014. And poor communications, both internally and with customers, remains a constant.

Bought 25 more chairs today. Close to all in. Seems silly I didnā€™t decide this 5 days ago, but itā€™s gonna look cheap next year IMHO.
15 more to round it out. Why now?

1. Inflation: Decided not to pay off debt,
2. Surprise, 4680, Fremont ++, Trust!
3. Elon maybe done selling today.
4. Analyst reiterations.

(My reminder in case the market drops)

15 more to round it out. Why now?

1. Inflation: Decided not to pay off debt,
2. Surprise, 4680, Fremont ++, Trust!
3. Elon maybe done selling today.
4. Analyst reiterations.

(My reminder in case the market drops)
Oh, I forgotā€¦ consolidation in Tesla is like diversifying - ā€œ12 companies in one!ā€, and best of allā€¦

Thereā€™s no bad time to buy TSLA ;)

I suspect there will be expendable finance companies set up for the purpose of financing ICE cars when reputable finance companies refuse to back ICE loans. There are many ways to structure such pools of capital so that investors in the finance company end up taking the loss when the finance company goes bankrupt. I think, one way or another, legacy manufacturers will ensure there is financing available for their products right up until the bitter end. Lather, rinse, repeat.
No need to do any shady structurings. Just buy ONE chair for every 10k of financing. In 3 years when the borrower defaults and the ICE collateral is worth zilch the gain on the chair will exactly offset that loss ;-)

Last edited:
So how much do you think Tesla dealers will markup the CT? šŸ¤Ŗ Do the Ford dealers at least include undercoating and pin striping for that $30k?

No but nitrogen in the tires for sure.....maybe special window etching.

Itā€™s called ā€œspecial airā€ my friend- thatā€™s $3000 markup for special air.
/s
This is what the Tustin Nissan dealer tried to add to the Nissan Leaf when we were shopping for it in 2015
It is the rust protection package that will be the best seller for the CT ;)
Wonder how much the dealers will charge for that :p

/s
You are forgetting the special wiper blades! $300 for that, because you see in the drought suffering area of Southern California, where it rarely rains, it is so important to have the best wiper blades money can buy!
/s

It boils my blood when some of these FUDsters on TV claim about ā€˜the tremendous value that dealer network adds to the car buying and maintenanceā€™

It boils my blood when some of these FUDsters on TV claim about ā€˜the tremendous value that dealer network adds to the car buying and maintenanceā€™
Could it be that you misheard and the TV commentators were talking about ā€˜the tremendous value that dealer network takes from the car buying and maintenanceā€™ ?

Last-minute push-down, yikes!
Nasdaq crapped its pants, now whether that's the index bringing $TSLA down or the opposite, I really couldn't say...

Still, $TSLA down pretty much in-line with the index, better than AAPL & way better than most of the EV stocks

Last edited:
I wonder about how it all collapses, like what comes first, second...? Anyone for a thought experiment?
- Parts not available
- Nobody want's your used ICE
- Nobody want's your Hybrid
- Price of a barrel of oil drops from low demand
- Gas prices rise as refineries exit
- Gas stations close or convert to EV, no customers

Like what's the actual wakeup call that sets it in motion to where it's so obvious and the scramble happens in every home? When can I say to the people in our cul de sac... "I warned you."
I wonder if banks will start requiring people buy gap insurance if they buy an ICE vehicle.