Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This heating thing has been blowing up on social media. The sooner they get it sorted out the better. Any word on wether 44.7 fixed the issue? We have thankfully been spared even though we have been travelling in minus 26 C temps.

Cheers.
Software updates have been pushed out to internally for validation and to some vin specific customers. This was talked about from Rob's Tesla Daily for 2 days ago.

View attachment 756016

Which one of you has the R1T in Tampa? It’s smaller than I thought but more beautiful in person. Long way from Michigan! Charging on a J1772 ChargePoint unit.

I do not think I would purchase this truck based on what I saw. It looks about as big as a suv and certainly doesn’t feel like a normal American truck. More like the Ford Ranger sold overseas.
It has manufacturer plates, so that isn't a vehicle owned by someone.

20220116_083152.jpg

I guess next year will be vag groups year..?

Ah ok. Any progress. Be nice to have this sorted out before the trading week starts.
This news, specifically the NHTSA reaching out to Tesla to talk about the heat pump, was in the news/headlines on Friday and yet it didn't matter. Just goes to show how much genuine selling happens when anything NHTSA/Tesla comes out in the headlines.........as in none.

If the market wants to push the stock up or down, it's mostly because they want it to go somewhere for their own purposes.

Having said that, I do wish Tesla had a PR dept for these kinds of things to reassure existing Tesla owners that they're working on it. A simple "We've identified the issue, we're validating a software push". I know it was already reported from other twitter sources that the software fix is being validated, but it would be nice to have the official Tesla twitter account giving the updates.

I hope this is a genuine move to limit undue influence by a former Board Member of one of Tesla's competitors in the autonomous driving space:

Cheers!

TL;DR - Stuff like this reinforces the notion that BMW will likely be the first that has to go to 'great' extent to save it's company and brands.

Longer version...
To create a motor like this you'd need to have some odd engineering constraints and priorities for several years. It's like stepping into the past by touting brushed motors as 'innovative'. I hated cleaning brushes on my RC car in the 90's.

All of this below is simply ridiculous as it seems much more likely they have done this to both increase the liklihood of needing the vehicle brought in for service, while also making it cheaper to produce. Nothing about this design seems to beneficial to EVs over brushless designs. It honestly looks like a good design for mild hybrid to act as secondary to the primary engine.

"According to BMW, this fifth-generation motor system allows for more energy density, faster switching frequency, and better heat management. "All of which," says BMW, "translates to higher RPM, more torque, and even more power." BMW is betting that modern materials and sealing technology will allow modern-day brushes and commutators to last for a reasonable service interval in the life of a modern EV."
Well it looks like they replaced the permanent magnets in the ROTOR with a directly induced EM field.
So from my understanding this is a novelty and not just a conventional brushed motor. And if they connect it to the inverter they could dynamically switch between AC-induction- and "SRPM"-mode which could provide better performance in various conditions. Although I haven’t seen any hard efficiency comparisons yet.
That this currently requires a wear component is unlucky, but it provides an opportunity for improvement and if it's an easily field replaceable component it shouldn't be too bad.

But whether it's ingenious or isn't the best idea, I think this is a benefit for Tesla either way:
- Their overall package seems to still be the most efficient. But it provides more competition / alternatives for ICE.
- It removes the BMW portion from the rare earth demands, improving pricing.
- It provides an exit strategy in case rare earth producers/countries try to squeeze their captive customers, thereby limiting prices as well.

Apparently the last update 2021.44.30.7did not solve the issue (although I haven’t had any issues in Phoenix)
The software update to fix isn't going to to everyone, just internally and specific VIN's like @Singuy said.

So it's almost 100% sure this guy didn't get that update. I don't think he has any clue what he's posting about. Doesn't matter what version his car is on. It's not going to have the fix yet.

Heat pump issues being investigated by NHTSA and Transport Canada

Thread describing the issue, with an Elon comment:

This is possibly a bad thing that might get worse. I've experieced it once lately in -16C drive. Now, some people have had 5K worth of parts replaced to fix this. Tesla wants to do the software update fix which is obviously cheaper. Now, for what Elon praises as great expanation - NO, people will not kneel in front of the shutter to check its operations/blockages in sub zero weather. Tons of Teslas have been sold in cold climate areas and this needs to be sorted out ASAP and properly.

This is possibly a bad thing that might get worse. I've experieced it once lately in -16C drive. Now, some people have had 5K worth of parts replaced to fix this. Tesla wants to do the software update fix which is obviously cheaper. Now, for what Elon praises as great expanation - NO, people will not kneel in front of the shutter to check its operations/blockages in sub zero weather. Tons of Teslas have been sold in cold climate areas and this needs to be sorted out ASAP and properly.
1642278908654.png

Well it looks like they replaced the permanent magnets in the ROTOR with a directly induced EM field.
So from my understanding this is a novelty and not just a conventional brushed motor. And if they connect it to the inverter they could dynamically switch between AC-induction- and "SRPM"-mode which could provide better performance in various conditions. Although I haven’t seen any hard efficiency comparisons yet.
That this currently requires a wear component is unlucky, but it provides an opportunity for improvement and if it's an easily field replaceable component it shouldn't be too bad.

But whether it's ingenious or isn't the best idea, I think this is a benefit for Tesla either way:
- Their overall package seems to still be the most efficient. But it provides more competition / alternatives for ICE.
- It removes the BMW portion from the rare earth demands, improving pricing.
- It provides an exit strategy in case rare earth producers/countries try to squeeze their captive customers, thereby limiting prices as well.
I couldn't tell for sure from the photos, but is this a dual slip ring like an alternator as opposed to a commutator setup like a typical brushed motor?
The brushes (looked like 3 per circuit) will still wear out, but less quickly than brushed motors. Plus, there should not be any arcing.

Did you read the entire explanation? They are pushing out a software update that will bypass the sensor error which will keep the heat pump working. And they are saying you can do some preventative measure for now while they are working on pushing this software out.

Did you read the entire explanation? They are pushing out a software update that will bypass the sensor error which will keep the heat pump working. And they are saying you can do some preventative measure for now while they are working on pushing this software out.

Exactly! Too many Chicken Little's acting like the sky is falling and investors had better sit upright and take notice. 🤪

This kind of over-reaction to the slightest technical challenge that faces Tesla has been going on since I bought my first share in 2018 and my first significant shares in 2019. I've been closely following Tesla and TSLA since inception and this same "Chicken Little" alarmist, worry-wort attitude to the slightest issue, crash, fire, failure or hiccup doesn't seem like it will go away anytime soon.

Any investor with eyes can see this is not the kind of technical issue that is capable of significantly changing the trajectory of a company like Tesla. As investors, the best thing we can do is not treat it differently than only similar challenge faced by any other automaker. Thousands of such issues are addressed every year by automakers cumulatively and Tesla probably has fewer than their share of such issues. Most never make front page news unless it happens to be a Tesla.

Exactly! Too many Chicken Little's acting like the sky is falling and investors had better sit upright and take notice. 🤪

This kind of over-reaction to the slightest technical challenge that faces Tesla has been going on since I bought my first share in 2018 and my first significant shares in 2019. I've been closely following Tesla and TSLA since inception and this same "Chicken Little" alarmist, worry-wort attitude to the slightest issue, crash, fire, failure or hiccup doesn't seem like it will go away anytime soon.

Any investor with eyes can see this is not the kind of technical issue that is capable of significantly changing the trajectory of a company like Tesla. As investors, the best thing we can do is not treat it differently than only similar challenge faced by any other automaker. Thousands of such issues are addressed every year by automakers cumulatively and Tesla probably has fewer than their share of such issues. Most never make front page news unless it happens to be a Tesla.
Gave it a like because of the long view projected. But make no mistake. This is a dangerous situation when travelling at minus 30 in Canada. This is spreading like wildfire up here and people are borrowing or renting ice cars to prevent putting their families in dangerous situations. This needs to be resolved fast or Teslas will be labeled as a 3 season car wether it’s true or not.

JMHO.

The software update to fix isn't going to to everyone, just internally and specific VIN's like @Singuy said.

So it's almost 100% sure this guy didn't get that update. I don't think he has any clue what he's posting about. Doesn't matter what version his car is on. It's not going to have the fix yet.
2021.44.30.7 has been widely distributed in Canada. It was pushed to my Model Y yesterday (although I am not affected by the issue) and it is the main social media topic of discussion among owners here.

Reactions: lukex4