Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another checkbox for the transition - BP say the economics for charging stations are nearly level with fuel stations. You would hope this will bring more and faster investment into the sector once it is proven as profitable.

For BP, car chargers to overtake pumps in profitability race

"If I think about a tank of fuel versus a fast charge, we are nearing a place where the business fundamentals on the fast charge are better than they are on the fuel," BP's head of customers and products Emma Delaney told Reuters.

Strong and rising demand for rapid battery chargers in Britain and Europe, has already brought profit margins close to those for traditional petrol filling, she said.

Last edited:
Another checkbox for the transition - BP say the economics for charging stations are nearly level with fuel stations. You would hope this will bring more and faster investment into the sector once it is proven as profitable.

If they really believe this, why have they let their charging network become so unreliable and poorly supported?
Myself and many, many other EV owners actively avoid BP chargers.
They need to do a lot more than this weak bit of PR to convince anyone they really want to move away from oil and gas.

If they really believe this, why have they let their charging network become so unreliable and poorly supported?
Myself and many, many other EV owners actively avoid BP chargers.
They need to do a lot more than this weak bit of PR to convince anyone they really want to move away from oil and gas.
Potentially because the network has been a money pit up until now and so there was pressure to keep expenses low. Profit could drive further investment into service.

Or they might just suck.

Newest Safety Report is out. Tesla continues to improve.

Accident Data

Q4 2021​

In the 4th quarter, we recorded one crash for every 4.31 million miles driven in which drivers were using Autopilot technology (Autosteer and active safety features). . . By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 484,000 miles.

Q4 2020​

In the 4th quarter, we registered one accident for every 3.45 million miles . . .By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 484,000 miles.

Q4 2019​

In the 4th quarter, we registered one accident for every 3.07 million miles . . . By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles.

"Shell aims to have 500,000 charging points globally by 2025. On Thursday it opened its first ultra-fast EV charging station in London, which can charge 80% of a car battery in 10 minutes." 🚙

Suddenly everyone sees dollar signs in fast charging? That puts them like 10 years behind Tesla. No disclosure on how many "Ultra Fast" chargers are planned for BP or Shell (but it looks good).

What's the relationship between a gas station owner and BP or Shell? Is it a Franchise like McD, could the owner take down the BP sign and convert themselves or partner with Tesla?

"Shell aims to have 500,000 charging points globally by 2025. On Thursday it opened its first ultra-fast EV charging station in London, which can charge 80% of a car battery in 10 minutes." 🚙

Suddenly everyone sees dollar signs in fast charging? That puts them like 10 years behind Tesla. No disclosure on how many "Ultra Fast" chargers are planned for BP or Shell (but it looks good).

What's the relationship between a gas station owner and BP or Shell? Is it a Franchise like McD, could the owner take down the BP sign and convert themselves or partner with Tesla?
Possibly? My own very limited exposure is from a third country (SE) where my local station used to be Shell but after a push to go automatic a few years ago, the owners went to (almost defunct) Gulf in order to stay open and man the auxiliary services like hot dogs, parcel delivery etc. Must have been some kind of franchise? Certainly different depending on location and legislation.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
All the traders have gone home early for the Long Weekend (Market closed on Monday for the MLK Jr. Holiday)

Fortunately, many of us here at TMC trade from the comfort of our homes, and so here we are at 7:22 p.m. on a Friday Nite... :p

Cheers!
BUT it is actually a short week end here in the Ant Farm

Soon this ant will tune his antennae to Radio Elon, and point them towards Giga Beerin'. No my friend this will not be a miserable uneventful three day week end.
And after he does or talks or does nothing or says nothing...
We will post about it for over a whole day, uninterrupted by news from the government.
(It actually will be a unique "long week end.")

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AZRI11 and wtlloyd

It varies from country to country, and company to company. However typically the globally integrated oil & gas majors such as Shell tend to operate 25-35% of their sites and the remainder are on various forms of franchise arrangement. Franchisees can range from mom'n'pop singletons to quite large multi-site groupings. Typically supply of each geographical cluster can be largely (but not exclusively) traced back to a refinery in each region (or pipeline terminal) that act as the distribution hub, though that can be complicated by various swap arrangements with other suppliers. The entry of the various grocery/supermarket chains into petrol retailing over the last 40-years has upended the business in many ways.

The sites themselves (as opposed to the operatorship of the sites) cover the whole range from wholly owned - long term leases - shorter term leases, and to an extent that has been a factor that was somewhat independent of who had site operatorship.

As we are all well aware this business is now being completely disrupted. Some of the requirements are mutually exclusive (for example I never expect to see a combined petrol/gasoline dispenser and a electrical connector), but others are quite complementary for some of the use-cases (toilets, convenience stores, fast food & beverages, land ownership/control, location).

Tesla currently (Q3 2021) has 3,254 charging stations and 29,281 connectors. It is reasonable that the high-case for Tesla in 2025 would be 30,000 locations and 270,000 connectors all of which would be high power fast connectors (not what Tesla would term a destination chargers). So this announcement indicates that Shell is seeking to remain relevant in that part of the value chain, i.e. at least they understand the scale of the challenge (500,000 points). However one needs to read both the Shell and BP press releases with highly cynical eyes as I am pretty sure that Shell and BP are counting slow street-kerb-located overnight chargers in this 500,000 target.

I am pretty sure I did a post about the economics of a typical petrol/fuel station using Shell vs Tesla as a comparison here on TMC a year or so ago but I didn't get much feedback. That was a shame as I was trying to flush out some hard data re Tesla Supercharger usage statistics to take the analysis to the next level. Can anyone see it ?

(Once upon a time I worked in upstream O&G, but because of some oddities I had some interesting engagements with the downstream (outlets) and midstream (refining) organisations).

EDIT: aha, found it - see Supercharger network - capacity & valuation

Last edited:
It varies from country to country, and company to company. However typically the globally integrated oil & gas majors such as Shell tend to operate 25-35% of their sites and the remainder are on various forms of franchise arrangement. Franchisees can range from mom'n'pop singletons to quite large multi-site groupings. Typically supply of each geographical cluster can be largely (but not exclusively) traced back to a refinery in each region (or pipeline terminal) that act as the distribution hub, though that can be complicated by various swap arrangements with other suppliers. The entry of the various grocery/supermarket chains into petrol retailing over the last 40-years has upended the business in many ways.

The sites themselves (as opposed to the operatorship of the sites) cover the whole range from wholly owned - long term leases - shorter term leases, and to an extent that has been a factor that was somewhat independent of who had site operatorship.

As we are all well aware this business is now being completely disrupted. Some of the requirements are mutually exclusive (for example I never expect to see a combined petrol/gasoline dispenser and a electrical connector), but others are quite complementary for some of the use-cases (toilets, convenience stores, fast food & beverages, land ownership/control, location).

Tesla currently (Q3 2021) has 3,254 charging stations and 29,281 connectors. It is reasonable that the high-case for Tesla in 2025 would be 30,000 locations and 270,000 connectors all of which would be high power fast connectors (not what Tesla would term a destination chargers). So this announcement indicates that Shell is seeking to remain relevant in that part of the value chain, i.e. at least they understand the scale of the challenge (500,000 points). However one needs to read both the Shell and BP press releases with highly cynical eyes as I am pretty sure that Shell and BP are counting slow street-kerb-located overnight chargers in this 500,000 target.

I am pretty sure I did a post about the economics of a typical petrol/fuel station using Shell vs Tesla as a comparison here on TMC a year or so ago but I didn't get much feedback. That was a shame as I was trying to flush out some hard data re Tesla Supercharger usage statistics to take the analysis to the next level. Can anyone see it ?

(Once upon a time I worked in upstream O&G, but because of some oddities I had some interesting engagements with the downstream (outlets) and midstream (refining) organisations).

EDIT: aha, found it - see Supercharger network - capacity & valuation
I guess Tesla actually could in theory charge all of them in the future, and especially if they tried to match their growth-rate at 50% annual.
The capacity I think you used was 10%-80% but for us that's more like 30%-80% charging, so even more capacity (cars/day).
In cities, there's still apartment living, so they'll need some in-town charging, for a while, until robotaxi's take over if we're talking that far out in time.

Through an extensive study of old washing machines and vacuum cleaners BMW finally found a way to make an electric motor that needs service.
It seems Nissan Ariya chose the same type of motor - with brushes, no permanent magnets. I learned somewhere that at low speed, PM motor gives higher efficiency, but at highway speed, AC induction motor has better efficiency. This brushed motor seems to have the best of both worlds.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: hacer and mltv
It seems Nissan Ariya chose the same type of motor - with brushes, no permanent magnets. I learned somewhere that at low speed, PM motor gives higher efficiency, but at highway speed, AC induction motor has better efficiency. This brushed motor seems to have the best of both worlds.
Contrast in goals is what I see:

Tesla - we'll make a million mile motor that doesn't need any servicing
BMW/Nissan - we'll make a motor that WILL wear out long before the life of the EV, and it sheds dust continuously, so there will be maintenance requiements (happy dealers?)

In lieu of another providing an up-to-date answer to that question, in an earlier era - within the United States of some 30 years ago - the oil majors owned on the order of ten percent of the stations that bore their names. The vast majority, the so-called independents, purchased their fuels from whomever they wished; only the motor oils &c that came in branded packaging bore a direct link to that big sign over the facility. In other words, You Could Trust Your Car to the Low Bidder.

BYD yesterday launched three EV models in Brazil. Those details belong in another thread.
However, BYD stated in their Introduction to their Blade technology that Tesla has signed an agreement to buy Blade batteries from BYD.
That has been rumored widely, of course, but this was directly said by BYD.
I am now trying to get permission to quote directly from the announcement.

BYD yesterday launched three EV models in Brazil. Those details belong in another thread.
However, BYD stated in their Introduction to their Blade technology that Tesla has signed an agreement to buy Blade batteries from BYD.
That has been rumored widely, of course, but this was directly said by BYD.
I am now trying to get permission to quote directly from the announcement.
Relevant thread:
BYD Blade Batteries

Not sure that I understand how the profitability of a fueling station could ever approach gasoline....the vast majority of homeowners will rarely refuel away from home (except for long trips). Therefore the volume of electricity sales should always be significantly lower than gasoline and especially while EVs are just a percentage of all automotive sales. Plus aren't people speculating that as the world increases sustainable energy production towards 100%, that energy costs actually go down?

Contrast in goals is what I see:

Tesla - we'll make a million mile motor that doesn't need any servicing
BMW/Nissan - we'll make a motor that WILL wear out long before the life of the EV, and it sheds dust continuously, so there will be maintenance requiements (happy dealers?)
TL;DR - Stuff like this reinforces the notion that BMW will likely be the first that has to go to 'great' extent to save it's company and brands.

Longer version...
To create a motor like this you'd need to have some odd engineering constraints and priorities for several years. It's like stepping into the past by touting brushed motors as 'innovative'. I hated cleaning brushes on my RC car in the 90's.

All of this below is simply ridiculous as it seems much more likely they have done this to both increase the liklihood of needing the vehicle brought in for service, while also making it cheaper to produce. Nothing about this design seems to beneficial to EVs over brushless designs. It honestly looks like a good design for mild hybrid to act as secondary to the primary engine.

"According to BMW, this fifth-generation motor system allows for more energy density, faster switching frequency, and better heat management. "All of which," says BMW, "translates to higher RPM, more torque, and even more power." BMW is betting that modern materials and sealing technology will allow modern-day brushes and commutators to last for a reasonable service interval in the life of a modern EV."