Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's call the Hummer, something for those with more money than sense.

The EV market has to cater to every buyer, even the foolish.

The Hummer isn't good value for money, so sales will probably be minimal, and those batteries can eventually be recycled.

More choice for the customer, even including some very bad choices, is welcome..
Hmmm….why not take the opportunity to not create bad choices?

If nobody makes a wasteful Hummer EV, then the handful of people who would have bought one will simply buy something else. Isn’t the fact so few people will buy one, a right and proper reason to not make it in the first place even regardless of the wastefulness?

No, the EV market does not have to cater to the foolish. No market has to cater to the foolish. And honestly, foolishness, wastefulness and all of that are reasons we’re in this mess in the first place.

Hmmm….why not take the opportunity to not create bad choices?

If nobody makes a wasteful Hummer EV, then the handful of people who would have bought one will simply buy something else. Isn’t the fact so few people will buy one, a right and proper reason to not make it in the first place even regardless of the wastefulness?

No, the EV market does not have to cater to the foolish. No market has to cater to the foolish. And honestly, foolishness, wastefulness and all of that are reasons we’re in this mess in the first place.
At least Mary actually led in something. Even if it was wastefulness. ;)

It could accelerate the mission if we could successfully re-popularize demolition derbies and increase the potential winnings, maybe by leveraging a new reality show with behind the scenes drama. It would be awesome to make it into a highly profitable franchise. Perhaps people could be encouraged to enter with the prospects of fame and fortune in an Internet reality drama that was wildly popular and people wouldn't think twice about entering the series, even with cars worth $10-$20K or more, just for a chance at the fame and prize money associated with being a derby champion.

I like the death and destruction of ICE cars and if it can simultaneously entertain the masses, all the better!
Yeah, why not?? Rodeos are very popular after falling into relative oblivion for many years, why not a demo-derby comeback? And the more cars the better! I wanna see some 2,000-car demolition derbies.

Last edited:
LG decided on Arizona and rightdown the road from here.

LG Energy Solution today announced that the company is investing KRW 1.7 trillion ($1.4 billion) for the construction of a new cylindrical battery factory in Queen Creek, Arizona. The newly announced plant will be the first ever cylindrical-type battery manufacturing plant in North America, solely invested by the Korean battery manufacturer.

LG decided on Arizona and rightdown the road from here.

LG Energy Solution today announced that the company is investing KRW 1.7 trillion ($1.4 billion) for the construction of a new cylindrical battery factory in Queen Creek, Arizona. The newly announced plant will be the first ever cylindrical-type battery manufacturing plant in North America, solely invested by the Korean battery manufacturer.

They also just announced one in Windsor, ONT, Canada:

Canada's first lithium-ion electric vehicle (EV) battery manufacturing plant is coming to Windsor, Ont., as part of a $4.9-billion joint-venture deal between Stellantis and LG Energy Solution ....

The companies say they've "executed binding, definitive agreements" to establish the factory, set to have an annual production capacity of 45 gigawatt hours.

Stewart said Windsor's new facility will be the size of about 112 NHL hockey rinks, with Champagne calling it Canada's first gigafactory. (Not sure how many football field is that? :D)

Isn't that a while away? At the least not until Q1 results?

An upgrade for Tesla to investment-grade is much further away than Q1 results. Try: Cybertruck delivereies, and/or Semi and/or... S&P/Moody's left their goalposts unanchored (they're easier to move that way).

Their real customers (hedge funds) are making far, far too much money off of Tesla without the extra institutional buying that an "investment grade" credit rating would unlock. The credit rating agencies are already YEARS overdue with this upgrade: TSLA has the best big-cap investment on Wall St. for the past 3 years.

An upgrade for Tesla to investment-grade is much further away than Q1 results. Try: Cybertruck delivereies, and/or Semi and/or... S&P/Moody's left their goalposts unanchored (they're easier to move that way).

Their real customers (hedge funds) are making far, far too much money off of Tesla without the extra institutional buying that an "investment grade" credit rating would unlock. The credit rating agencies are already YEARS overdue with this upgrade: TSLA has the best big-cap investment on Wall St. for the past 3 years.
I read the Moody's comments on the last raise to mean that any continued expansion in the right direction and maintenance of margin would lead to the next bump up.

To me that sounds like them planning on an Apr/May/Jun timeline. I think they realize how far behind the curve they are and don't wanna look even more ridiculous.

I read the Moody's comments on the last raise to mean that any continued expansion in the right direction and maintenance of margin would lead to the next bump up.

To me that sounds like them planning on an Apr/May/Jun timeline. I think they realize how far behind the curve they are and don't wanna look even more ridiculous.

Yeah, this is what I read from Moody's:

"To date, Tesla's product offering remains narrowly reliant on primarily two models, however.​
"The ratings could be upgraded if Tesla successfully expands its global footprint, maintains a strong competitive global presence as other automakers offer an increasing number of battery electric models, and improves its product breadth.

Ok, we can do a split now. I'm ready.

"To date, Tesla's product offering remains narrowly reliant on primarily two models, however.​
"The ratings could be upgraded if Tesla successfully expands its global footprint, maintains a strong competitive global presence as other automakers offer an increasing number of battery electric models, and improves its product breadth.

That's why I give Apple a BBB- grade. They are reliant on the Iphone and Macbook.

You take the product breadth as key, I see the "global presence" as key. Berlin is open, margins are fat, earnings will crush. I see an early May bump up.

If it weren't for earnings, I think you could see them hold off. But the insane EPS is now driving TSLA solidly to the $1-1.5T market cap range. Kind of embarrassing for a ratings agency to call that junk.