Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did taxes for 2021.....someone please convince me not to sell any $TSLA shares to pay Uncle Sam. This is without any capital gains as I did not sell a single share of anything in 2021.

FWIW...2021 was the year we made the most $ due to me having 2 jobs and my wife making an extra $50k from a walmart holiday commercial.
Your thinking is flawed :)

It should be the other way around, you should buy tsla with the taxes you owe.

My company was small enough that I only had to pay the amounts of VAT I charged on my invoices to the government once a year. So plenty of time to invest the VAT money into tsla thinking it would go up before I had to pay them into my tax account.

Add in some money from poker winnings and it was almost a certain this investment plan would work. :cool:

Ok, maybe NOT INVESTMENT ADVICE

It did work unbelievable well in 2018/19 though.

FWIW: my wife has a 2021 Kona EV and the only place she can get the “non conductive blue coolant“ (for her traction battery) from is a dealership, plus the software required to correctly bleed the air out of coolant (closed) system is via the tools used at the dealership.

With time, the situation will change. But for now, the current iteration of “non conductive blue coolant“ is only produced by one manufacturer and the price per litre is in the $CAD 60 range…and there are 14 litres of the stuff.

One can go on various Hyundai/Kia EV forums and read the rants regarding this one “routine maintenance“ item.
As I remember a couple of our Audi's had oil change reminders that could only be "shut off" by a proprietary tool only available at Audi Dealers.
Cheap as I am I went to Audi for oil changes until the free market came up with a fix and then Audi gave up...

Just did taxes for 2021.....someone please convince me not to sell any $TSLA shares to pay Uncle Sam. This is without any capital gains as I did not sell a single share of anything in 2021.

FWIW...2021 was the year we made the most $ due to me having 2 jobs and my wife making an extra $50k from a walmart holiday commercial.

I sold some puts to pay my taxes. I have no capital gains either and it was my highest tax bill ever thanks to selling options and selling my rental to buy Tesla stock.

Don't know which broker you use, but I'd see if they offer a line of credit before selling any shares. The board convinced me to do that rather than selling TSLA about 2 years ago and it's one of the best financial decisions I've ever made (other than buying TSLA at a pre-split $40). FYI, I use E-Trade and it was a piece of pie setting it up and money was in my checking in less than a week. Highly recommend checking out. Hate to have you miss out on at least a 50% gain in the next year.

Don't know which broker you use, but I'd see if they offer a line of credit before selling any shares. The board convinced me to do that rather than selling TSLA about 2 years ago and it's one of the best financial decisions I've ever made (other than buying TSLA at a pre-split $40). FYI, I use E-Trade and it was a piece of pie setting it up and money was in my checking in less than a week. Highly recommend checking out. Hate to have you miss out on at least a 50% gain in the next year.
Selling $TSLA is a last resort....i think i can swing the tax bill but that's gonna deplete the dry powder fund and i am out of couches to shake.....Can $TSLA just moon to $2k already? :)

Same story for me. Also pulling from the SBLOC for tax-free income supplement. Someday will have to sell shares to pay off the loan. Hopefully after I’m dead.

I would reconsider that one. Deer are really dumb but not as dumb as you think.
I live on Deer Hill, pretty well acquainted. I've had more than couple close calls giving fawns a nasty haircut when mowing my fields. They just hunker down and don't move as a defense against predators. You can walk right up and pet them sometimes. Joking aside, they're much better company than GLJ without a doubt.

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd

This year lot of standard filers will be paying to IRS instead of getting a refund, including me. I am suspecting I have to pay 5-10 grand and I don't have that type of money. Like most of you, all in TSLA and I don't want to sell any nor borrow on margin (already heavily margined).

So, my question to you (as well as others) is why not pick a IRS payment plan and pay remaining balance over few months? I did a short lookup and it seems there is no/little penalty and interest = Federal short-term rate plus 3 = 3.17%. This can be paid in few months from income/savings or when TSLA shoots higher.

Has anybody done this? What are the cons?

• Informative
Reactions: BornToFly
This year lot of standard filers will be paying to IRS instead of getting a refund, including me. I am suspecting I have to pay 5-10 grand and I don't have that type of money. Like most of you, all in TSLA and I don't want to sell any nor borrow on margin (already heavily margined).

So, my question to you (as well as others) is why not pick a IRS payment plan and pay remaining balance over few months? I did a short lookup and it seems there is no/little penalty and interest = Federal short-term rate plus 3 = 3.17%. This can be paid in few months from income/savings or when TSLA shoots higher.

Has anybody done this? What are the cons?
Interest usually sucks. But I'll look into it if the terms are favorable. I highly doubt it though.

You might check into whether giving your kid a small amount of Tesla now is better than paying a larger amount in gift taxes later.

Gifting it now means they will only need to pay capital gains on it eventually.
Hmmmm. The US gift limit is $16K. Let's call it 15 shares. If you do this when they are born, what's that going to look like in 18 years, or in 2040?