Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s my point. At some point in the future they pay long term capital gains taxes rather than you having to pay those taxes, then the gift to them being taxed as well.
Give it to them in your will, that way they pay on the step up and not the original cost basis. Hopefully this loop hole isn't killed anytime soon but I think it's on the chopping block.

Hmmmm. The US gift limit is $16K. Let's call it 15 shares. If you do this when they are born, what's that going to look like in 18 years, or in 2040?
You can gift more than 16k, but if you do it counts towards the lifetime limit of 11million and you need to report it to the IRS. This does not mean your kid will get taxed on the amount above 16k.

my kids are 10 and 14. They are both very nearly millionaires in their own right thanks to UTMA accounts i set up many years ago, seeded with Tesla (and other) stock. Neither of them are aware of these accounts yet. I'm legally obligated to hand the accounts over to them when they turn 18 of course, and I'm honestly fearful that doing so could end up doing more harm than good overall in their lives. Everyone wants to provide for their children, but is handing a teenager millions of dollars really good parenting? I suppose I'm going to find out.

TL: DR: SPAIN NUMBERS: "Tesla Model 3 became the best-selling EV in Spain in Q1 2022. Sales of the model in the first three months of the year exceeded its own sales in the whole of 2021, indicating a significant increase in demand.Tesla registered an impressive 1,133 Model 3s in Q1 2022, up 124 from all of last year, according to EU-EVs data. We can only guess about the upcoming successes of Model 3 in 2022, but the love of the Spaniards for it becomes obvious."

Last edited:

TL: DR: FRANCE NUMBERS: "The electric car market in France experienced a significant upsurge, surpassing sales of gasoline cars for the first time. Tesla Model 3 leads the EV market in France, spearheading the EV revolution.

Sales of new EVs in France in Q1 2022 surpassed gasoline vehicles for the first time in history, marking an important milestone

The undisputed leader among EVs is Tesla Model 3, which registered 6,636 vehicles. "

Last edited:
Car sales numbers from March in Norway is in. 82.9% of those were BEV. Compared to 52.8% in March 2021.

And some of you might have heard about the best selling brand already:

View attachment 788724

Øyvind Solberg Thorsen from OFV says that all cusomers want electric now - and four wheel drive. And those who can deliver cars like that despite wars and chip shortages are winners in the statistics this year. OFV are quoting Volvo boss Rita Kristin Broch saying that chip shortages and other supplier shortages is behind this but like last year we plan to deliver many more cars in the second half of the year.

And here is the ist of the most selling car models in March 2022 in Norway:

View attachment 788725

The end of quarter delivery wave is still in play of course. Will be interesting to see if Giga Berlin will change this.

View attachment 788728

Source: Elbilandelen når nye høyder tross leveringsutfordringer
Source: Tesla Registration Stats
wow, the wave actually got worse :/
probably related to supply chain issues, never seen anything like this in Norway.
Second month of the quarter always had at least *some* deliveries.

Who should I believe ? This Øyvind Solberg Thorsen guy or the famous analyst on TV from GLJ research ?

/s
GoJo was actually really helping me out yesterday. Met him at a local restaurant in the bathroom. He was extra mild to me, and I didn't even need to push him!

IMG_1355.jpeg

my kids are 10 and 14. They are both very nearly millionaires in their own right thanks to UTMA accounts i set up many years ago, seeded with Tesla (and other) stock. Neither of them are aware of these accounts yet. I'm legally obligated to hand the accounts over to them when they turn 18 of course, and I'm honestly fearful that doing so could end up doing more harm than good overall in their lives. Everyone wants to provide for their children, but is handing a teenager millions of dollars really good parenting? I suppose I'm going to find out.
That is an excellent question. I have a 1 year old son and have already given some thought to this future problem. What happens when you give your child a large sum of money when they're really still quite young at 18?
My parents had a savings account for the kids and gave it to us when we turned 18. They said we could do with it as we pleased, but should at least consider saving it or spending it on something worthile. It was like $2500. I put most of it aside and ended up buying stock and leveraged products. I messed around with all of kinds of trading strategies back then and learned a lot of valuable lessons, but could've easily lost the entire amount. I got lucky enough to end up with about zero loss after a couple of years. My brothers and sister pissed it away almost immediately, and they're not irresponsible people.
What your kids are going to do depends largely on the way they are, I guess. I'm expecting my kid to be stupid with what we give him, but hopefully learn a lot in the process, enough to not make the same mistakes again, like I did. Because I too am worried what the effect will be of giving my kid a large sum of money, I've decided (and convinced my wife) to keep it low enough that we'll helping him get started, but not pay for his life and possibly mess up the way he looks at money.
Anyway, make sure to post back here in about 4 and 8 years to let us know what happened, that'll leave me some time to make some changes ;)

457,000? they really are leading! (that was sarcasm not AF)

Honestly kind of stunned at how truly terrible GM is at this. 457 cars in a quarter isn't production, it's not even ramping up production. How is this even a thing? Even Rivian is making about 1000/ month.

The short answer is that GM's battery production is being diverted to their Bolt recall. I think they have somewhere in the range of 125k more to go.

That is an excellent question. I have a 1 year old son and have already given some thought to this future problem. What happens when you give your child a large sum of money when they're really still quite young at 18?
My parents had a savings account for the kids and gave it to us when we turned 18. They said we could do with it as we pleased, but should at least consider saving it or spending it on something worthile. It was like $2500. I put most of it aside and ended up buying stock and leveraged products. I messed around with all of kinds of trading strategies back then and learned a lot of valuable lessons, but could've easily lost the entire amount. I got lucky enough to end up with about zero loss after a couple of years. My brothers and sister pissed it away almost immediately, and they're not irresponsible people.
What your kids are going to do depends largely on the way they are, I guess. I'm expecting my kid to be stupid with what we give him, but hopefully learn a lot in the process, enough to not make the same mistakes again, like I did. Because I too am worried what the effect will be of giving my kid a large sum of money, I've decided (and convinced my wife) to keep it low enough that we'll helping him get started, but not pay for his life and possibly mess up the way he looks at money.
Anyway, make sure to post back here in about 4 and 8 years to let us know what happened, that'll leave me some time to make some changes ;)

I've heard of schemes where a trust initially doles it out in proportion to their earnings 1:1, 2:1 or something like that to promote their not taking it for granted. Then, when they reach some designated age (30?) give access to any remaining amount.

I proclaim April 2 to be henceforth known as Motley Fool's day. They actually named Tesla as one of their top ten picks in the article. Usually they want to bait folks into paying for that pleasure.

Last edited: