Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG, where are the erasers? Are they electric? I hope not, although my US Tesla is charging at 208v right now.
@AudubonB
208V is phase to phase on a three phase wye system.
Guess what line to neutral voltage is in that case? 120V = (208/sqrt(3))
Or 240V L-L delta with center tap bottom leg to high phase. 120V, 208V, and 240V.

(High rises and 3 phase are one of the reasons I used "primarily", other is the pun since we connect to the secondary)

Supercharger construction according to www.supercharge.info shows 103 sites currently in some stage of construction just inside the USA+North America region. That means 103 crews working simultaneously to create those sites. (I'm ignoring the total # stalls) That's definitely more than I've ever seen. Years ago I was impressed when I saw 30 sites under simultaneous construction. I've often wondered how they find the people who do this for a living, and what would they have been working on had Tesla not existed!

Last edited:
That doesn't seem practical to me. Lots of money to solve something that isn't a problem. How would they prevent someone from stealing them?
The fact that they will almost certainly have “Sentry Mode”, built in GPS and 5G so they act as giant tracking devices. Also, a stolen TeslaBot is likely just a pile of scrap since they will likely not respond to commands when stolen.

If I were designing them they would have a very loud piercing alarm when moved involuntarily. Maybe shoot fart spray and glitter out the mouth too for good measure.

Vandalism would be an issue, but it’s already possible to vandalize Superchargers and it happens.

Elon is way too modest when he tweeted that Tesla's successes were only earned by others. Actually, he was demonstrating good leadership by making that tweet. But just a short list of decisions/actions he alone made that made Tesla successful.

Pouring all remaining net worth into Tesla in 2008 when no one else would invest in an EV company.

Making sure the Roadster was a worthy car, even to the point of shredding the initial idea of bolting on components into a Lotus Elise body (he forced Tesla to make extensive changes so that there were few compromises).

Going completely against his nature and being an obnoxious showman so that he could continue raising $$ for a struggling startup.

Pushing the company to design a ridiculously over the top falcon wing door SUV before the first Model S was even made so that Tesla would remain in the spotlight and garner more much needed funding.

Deciding to spend $0 in advertising, something that he must have been under huge pressure not to do.

The infamous three part plan (Roadster, Model S, Model 3) that in hindsight was obvious even as no other car company in the world replicated.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Sure, Elon has participated in making mistakes, but geez, the big decisions have had enormous positive impact on the company.

Arguably the most if not super high on the list is his hiring principles
- at first he personally interviewed all candidates
- required the very best - in terms of know how, experience, and track record in getting things done
- actively sought the best in ea field
This is explained /illustrated in Berger's book on the early days of SpaceX / Elon - also how other companies have sought and stolen Tesla's hiring process

This resulted in super motivated employees too - recall (unheard of anywhere) Tesla employees offering to put their salaries on hold during the worst of Tesla 's 2008 M3 ramp up period.

@AudubonB
208V is phase to phase on a three phase wye system.
Guess what line to neutral voltage is in that case? 120V = (208/sqrt(3))
Or 240V L-L delta with center tap bottom leg to high phase. 120V, 208V, and 240V.

(High rises and 3 phase are one of the reasons I used "primarily", other is the pun since we connect to the secondary)
FWIW, 208 v pretty common in places such as large US apartment buildings, hence for many wall chargers thus placed.
Thanks for explaining why.

1650562456026.png

How can a statement that says "most likely" be a lie. It is by definition a guess. The only lie above is the one that says "E. Musk lied when he claimed..."

Did Drew misspeak when he said "...if we look past this year or next year into 2030 when we need 15 to 20 terawatt hours..."?

Didn't they say they were targeting 3 terawatt hours in 2030 on Battery Day?
I think this is the difference between installed capacity and production capacity.

Tesla will need 3 terrawatt hours of annual production to achieve 15 terrawatt hours of installed capacity. (Cars on the road and storage in place)

EDIT: I think this is off. Expand on this a bit more below.

Last edited:
I was shocked as well.

On edit: Seriously, even though "110" is such an ingrained number in the US culture, that Mr Musk would slip on it is a head-scratcher. I sure hope I never hear him slip on significant digits.....
And anyone who tries to counter with "But 208V" both gets sent to the principal's office and has to clean the erasers.

I'll be sure not to!

Now... about the fact that Gen1 chargers were technically spec'ed to accept 277V A/C as an input... ;)

About time. Tesla have been using untrained drivers to test these things for years now, with absolutely no regard for safety
What the Optimus bots should be trained to do is the following:

Driver pulls up to supercharger stall
If driver is 'not capable of backing up tesla straight into supercharging stall'
Flag down Optimus and Optimus will get into your Tesla and do it for you

I am sure this will solve a lot of tesla drivers being unable to back up their Teslas in a straight line.

Like if you feel my pain when going to supercharge! :)