Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So a 10% cut in headcount to save in salaries to improve margin in the future causes the stock to collapse 9%?

The last time I saw such an announcement for a company I held made the stock increase 10%.

Why everything is always the opposite for traders. They get scared and drop the stock for the week end to make sure they sleep well then they going to FOMO back in Monday morning when they realize it is a gold thing not to get complacent.
Haha let them drop it low so we can get more 😉

Reactions: OrthoSurg
Four months.

Gates is getting a raw deal. What he says is true: Shorting TSLA doesn't hurt the company. It's a bet that the share price is too high - it isn't an attempt to lower the share price. He hasn't been out badmouthing Tesla or Musk and contributions to liberal media weren't targeted at Elon. If he hates Musk it's because Elon started a fight with Buffett, Munger and himself. Elon has done a lot of reputational damage to the three of them and they didn't deserve it. (I was a BRK investor for decades and still have a very high regard for Buffett and Munger ... Gates a little less so.)
Going for another record I guess. For those of you who think I'm just trolling the board ... I am not. These are my honest opinions. Elon is making a sport out of destroying people who don't deserve it. (Biden deserves it.)

With that said, nobody likes Elon more than I do. He's given me a reason to be optimistic again about the world even as my time starts to run down. Can't wait for A.I. day 2. It's the equivalent of the Wright brothers at Kitty Hawk but the world doesn't get it yet. Nothing short of a new industrial revolution times ten.

(If there's a better thread for this, please let me know. I looked, but couldn't find anything.)

The SEC has finally described how to make a claim on the $40M in fines they extorted from Tesla and Musk over the "funding secured" tweet. Various articles about this appeared yesterday.

If you would like to submit a Claim Form you can download one here and return it with supporting documentation. Claim Forms must be postmarked by September 17, 2022 (the ”Claims Bar Date”).

Claim Forms may be also be submitted online here. If you choose to file your Claim Form online, you must file on or before 11:59 p.m. EDT on September 17, 2022 (the ”Claims Bar Date”).

To be eligible for a payment from the Fair Fund, you must satisfy certain eligibility criteria that are described in detail in the Plan of Distribution. Those criteria include the following:

1. You must have purchased or acquired Tesla common stock, listed on a U.S. exchange and registered with the Commission and traded under the symbol TSLA, during the Relevant Period (between 12:48:16 p.m. EDT on August 7, 2018 and 4:00 p.m. EDT on August 8, 2018);
  2. Your approved transactions must calculate to a Recognized Loss Amount pursuant to the Plan of Allocation and the Distribution Payment must equal or exceed $10.00.
So far as I can tell, the important number is $356.67. If you bought shares for more than that and still had them at the end of Relevant Period, you are considered to have lost that amount minus $356.67. Of course, restitution will be prorated to make the total come out to about $40M. I have no idea whatsoever what percentage that will end up being. Anybody?

Links:
SEC enforcement action (2/26/20)
Court order ((2/26/20)
Web site for filing a claim

This Musk guy has a screw loose! Per Reuters.....

Screenshot_20220604-192033_Reuters.jpg

Four months.

Gates is getting a raw deal. What he says is true: Shorting TSLA doesn't hurt the company. It's a bet that the share price is too high - it isn't an attempt to lower the share price. He hasn't been out badmouthing Tesla or Musk and contributions to liberal media weren't targeted at Elon. If he hates Musk it's because Elon started a fight with Buffett, Munger and himself. Elon has done a lot of reputational damage to the three of them and they didn't deserve it. (I was a BRK investor for decades and still have a very high regard for Buffett and Munger ... Gates a little less so.)
Oh geez!If shorting is such a benign benevolent thing, why wouldn’t he short MSFT instead of TSLA?

Lol! Why do you think Roto-REUTERS hasn't issued the original text of the Thursday email? FEAR of compromising their inside source! :p
So TSLA will be +10% on Monday?
No, TSLA will be down another 10% Monday, because on Monday the Paid Media will state that trimming work force during a recession is prudent and wise and the right thing to do, and Tesla is no longer doing this. The Paid Media already spinning this latest tweet as a negative, stories of Elon backtracking. No he is not. Cutting 10% of Salaried work force now. One year from now Salaried work force to be +/- to what it is today. Hourly manufacturing and installation work force will continue to expand for the forseeable future.

It does not matter what Elon says, or what is provided from a large Tesla PR department if they had one. The result is exactly the same. The Paid Media will spin it whatever way they are paid to do so. They can't even quote a ten word tweet and only quote two words out of it to frame their narrative. Sad.

People (The masses out there). Wake up! Go to the source of the information for your informaiton. Do not rely on Paid Media. If you are not paying for the product, you are the product.

Looking at TeslaFi, there have suddenly been a few hundred updates to the latest FSD Beta 10.12.2 (2022.12.3.20) queued up, way more than the number of people there who have older versions of FSD Beta. So we're finally seeing a large new tranche of people being admitted to the program.

I wonder what the lowest Safety Score is that will get you in. My two vehicles that are waiting both have 95.

Looking at TeslaFi, there have suddenly been a few hundred updates to the latest FSD Beta 10.12.2 (2022.12.3.20) queued up, way more than the number of people there who have older versions of FSD Beta. So we're finally seeing a large new tranche of people being admitted to the program.

I wonder what the lowest Safety Score is that will get you in. My two vehicles that are waiting both have 95.
I think Elon said previously 97 and up are getting in this wave.

Can't think of a better time than Q2 for Tesla to start tapping into their deferred tax assets. From the most recent 10k filing:

These quotes are from page 87 of the 10k filing.Tesla 10-k filing

Considering Q2 is affected by one-time issues related to giga Shanghai's Covid-related shutdown and Elon's belief we are in the midst of an economic downturn, I think there's a good chance Q2 is when we start to see Tesla take advantage of their tax assets.

It won't be the magic dust that turns the stock around, but should help TSLA find some support amd stop what feels like a free fall from the all time highs we saw 8 months ago.
Tesla has no use for the deferred tax asset until they have US taxes. (It doesn't apply to offshored China income).
Tesla will not have US federal taxes until they work through their accumulated US losses (the $31.2 Billion number you quoted)
A high percentage of SG&A and R&D is US based which cuts US profit to near zero historically.
Therefore, they will not be realizing that assest in the near future.

Tesla has no use for the deferred tax asset until they have US taxes. (It doesn't apply to offshored China income).
Tesla will not have US federal taxes until they work through their accumulated US losses (the $31.2 Billion number you quoted)
A high percentage of SG&A and R&D is US based which cuts US profit to near zero historically.
Therefore, they will not be realizing that assest in the near future.

This is why I didn't get an A in accounting. Right there on page 86 it clearly outlines taxes paid in the US federal (0), state (9), and foreign (839).

I was previously just looking at the income statement and seeing the provision for taxes and assumed Tesla was paying US taxes. Thanks for the info

I'm talking about used inventory. If the price is too high due and the car's not moving, they can remove FSD and drop the price significantly.

It's a clever demand lever.
Oh, I understood what you meant just fine.

It's these used Teslas that fall into this "Cars not selling" category that I'm curious to know more about.

Please, show me one. 🦄

No, TSLA will be down another 10% Monday, because on Monday the Paid Media will state that trimming work force during a recession is prudent and wise and the right thing to do, and Tesla is no longer doing this. The Paid Media already spinning this latest tweet as a negative, stories of Elon backtracking. No he is not. Cutting 10% of Salaried work force now. One year from now Salaried work force to be +/- to what it is today. Hourly manufacturing and installation work force will continue to expand for the forseeable future.

It does not matter what Elon says, or what is provided from a large Tesla PR department if they had one. The result is exactly the same. The Paid Media will spin it whatever way they are paid to do so. They can't even quote a ten word tweet and only quote two words out of it to frame their narrative. Sad.

People (The masses out there). Wake up! Go to the source of the information for your informaiton. Do not rely on Paid Media. If you are not paying for the product, you are the product.
I get your point, but I’m going to venture a bit further out on the limb. The pattern I think I’ve been seeing, is that positive news can drive an upswing, but MMs can fight it if the volume is low. Negative news gets amplified, and then any macro trends have a pile-on effect. That nice limb might get sawed off by Monday morning.

On a somewhat related note, I got an email from my sister referring me to a NYT OpEd entitled, “When Elon Musk Dreams, His Employees Have Nightmares.” I had seen the headline as I have a digital subscription to it, but didn’t waste my time reading it, nor did I when she cited it. My sister was sort of poking me. She and her husband are Porsche fans. I sent her back the following note:

‘Thanks. Yes I saw this article. He was pilloried in the press after he first said all workers needed to work 40 hrs in the office, and then said he was reducing staff by 10%. He later clarified that to be just office workers, and that they are increasing factory and service workers. It caused the stock to drop a good bit.

Here’s the thing, he is pushing the envelope. For those who want to work at a place where there is constant innovation, challenge, and empowerment to achieve - Tesla is it. And more do than don’t want to be there. It isn’t-a great place for softer skills most likely. And it’s probably not a place you’d spend a career at.

As an investor, I’ve learned to filter the things he says and does through a net that drops out impacts to core business. I’ll admit it is sometimes difficult. But so far when I do this, what I see is a company that is growing dramatically, by constantly innovating and adapting to near-term, medium-term, and long-term constraints, as it maniacally focuses on achieving its objectives. They are not for faint of heart. I periodically check in with people whose financial knowledge and wisdom I respect just to make sure I’ve not got rose colored glasses on. And I read an investors’ forum daily. Staying the course.’

Of course the investors’ forum I referred to is TMC/this thread.

Hopefully one day in the not too distant future she will be wistful that she didn’t buy-in when she had the chance..