Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently watched tesla economist video and thought if Tesla had the lower pricing for the new countries, they would in effect lock in some of recession orders (by providing lower pricing). Then raise it in few weeks/months for those countries. Also thought that it would be upsetting after waiting all these years. Tesla can be ordered but at such a high premium, if they started with the hiked price.
There are also local subsidies to consider - for instance here In New Zealand where the Y launched last week, it probably is unlikely to see the model Y SR ever going over $80k (NZD) including sales tax, where it would lose the $8,625k subsidy. (Current price including delivery fee is $78,243 for SR Y in white, so not much room for increases).

Current price without sales tax but including delviery fee is $68,039 NZD, which if converted to USD at current 0.63c rate = $42,863 US dollars. Pretty good deal actually all things considered. (The model 3 SR is jsut slightly less goes for $42,151 USD including delviery fee.)

Really makes it seems like except the name change from Beta to Wide Release, FSD is in fact in wide release now.
I still have not got it. Admit a little annoyed. Paid for it on three different Teslas since 2018. Have an X and Cyber on order with FSD included.

I have subsidized enough! Give me my FSD!

Do you really want to second guess Elon? He knows more than 99.9% of the people on this board about BTC. My personal opinion is that BTC is the perfect use case for underutilized corporate cash.
There is not much to “know“ about bitcoin / crypto.

It is actually at its core a very simple yes/no decision: Does any cryptocurrency (which is unbacked by real world assets OR a government) have any legitimate validity at all as a future currency?

That is the essential core question. All other talk about the underlying technology etc is meaningless.

My personal answer to that question is: no.

If a persons answer is yes to that question, then they have the much harder job of both needing to convince others of the reasoning why, and also need to establish which of the tens of thousands of crypto currencies are the “legitimate“ one(s) - or if they are still yet to be created.

Really makes it seems like except the name change from Beta to Wide Release, FSD is in fact in wide release now.

For what it's worth, Autopilot is still considered a beta product. Tesla still needs to integrate the Autopilot and FSD stacks into one before they move on to considering anything wide release. That said, we're getting closer at what seems to be a hastening pace; bullish. :)

For what it's worth, Autopilot is still considered a beta product. Tesla still needs to integrate the Autopilot and FSD stacks into one before they move on to considering anything wide release. That said, we're getting closer at what seems to be a hastening pace; bullish. :)
My comment is more in relation to revenue recognition.

Your comment about Autopilot still technically considered a beta product gives more weight to the fact that Tesla is pushing out FSD beta out to all FSD buyers in order to do revenue recognition. Autopilot might still be technically considered beta, but Tesla has been fully recognizing that revenue at this point.

I still have not got it. Admit a little annoyed. Paid for it on three different Teslas since 2018. Have an X and Cyber on order with FSD included.

I have subsidized enough! Give me my FSD!
We took delivery of our 2022 Model X Plaid on March 28 2022. We have had 7 software updates. The last update on June 6 was FSD, version 2022.12.3.20; just after we got back from a 3 week road trip. Will take some time to get used to it. Mostly the problem is me gaining trust. Now when I show off the Tesla, I get to demo FSD in addition to the fast acceleration. Lots of fun.

For those of you males who manage to spare enough time away from TMC to have and take care of kids, Happy Father’s Day.

Happy Father’s Day to all fathers here. The gift I offer you all is a possible bottom in that crazy market.

Attachments

• 214BEF93-C974-4462-8103-BB7FDBE3BCFD.png
    214BEF93-C974-4462-8103-BB7FDBE3BCFD.png
    289.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 0829D3D9-97B4-4ABD-9C9D-BFEA013DD1B4.png
    0829D3D9-97B4-4ABD-9C9D-BFEA013DD1B4.png
    267.6 KB · Views: 80
My comment is more in relation to revenue recognition.

Your comment about Autopilot still technically considered a beta product gives more weight to the fact that Tesla is pushing out FSD beta out to all FSD buyers in order to do revenue recognition. Autopilot might still be technically considered beta, but Tesla has been fully recognizing that revenue at this point.
They aren't goining to recognize revenue until there are no requirements to get it other than region and purchasing it. And no threat of taking it away. They are still in limited early release... And are taking it away from some people.

Last edited:
Don't typically look at Reddit for Tesla, but came across this and comments are overwhelmingly negative towards Elon.
Really annoying that the mainstream media FUD is having such an impact on Elon's reputation. Seems like the general EV FUD (spontaneous combustions etc!) is losing effectiveness and therefore they are directing it directly at Elon.
Then right on cue I see this steaming pile of excrement:
Not really sure what the answer is, feels like it is endless - guess oil/legacy needs to completely capitulate and accept defeat.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win”

Hopefully we swiftly move on from the fight to the win!

Don't typically look at Reddit for Tesla, but came across this and comments are overwhelmingly negative towards Elon.
Really annoying that the mainstream media FUD is having such an impact on Elon's reputation. Seems like the general EV FUD (spontaneous combustions etc!) is losing effectiveness and therefore they are directing it directly at Elon.
Not really sure what the answer is, feels like it is endless - guess oil/legacy needs to completely capitulate and accept defeat.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win”

It all seems worrisome until you realize most Twitter and Reddit users still live in their parents’ basement.

Won't they all be surprised when come 2024 Tesla has indeed NOT lost it's EV production crown to VW. Nothing but nonsense in those articles, emotions and personal feelings seem to be clouding their objectiveness. Or maybe all the FUD is simply clickbait for the sheep, not sure which is the case.

I dunno, but I’m a believer in not feeding trolls, for what that’s worth, (I’m not saying you are!).

It all seems worrisome until you realize most Twitter and Reddit users still live in their parents’ basement.
Yes, but they are mostly bots. After you work in AI for awhile and read a bunch of what AI writes, you get a really good feel for it and lemme tell you...most of that sugar is AI.

I'll read about 10 to 20 and ALL the comments feel "bot-ish". For those that don't know, the cost for someone to train/buy a model and then inference seed threads with 'their sentiment' is nearing a penny per thousand when you buy cloud time on AWS Inferentia or Google TPUs

It's basically this thread and the investors forum in general that is basically "bot-free", everything else is infested to the gills. Based on your social platform of choice, you are most likely consuming upwards of 80% sentiment driving bot content.

Elon recently Tweeted that he is aiming for 30% gross margins and a 10% overall margin in Supercharger operations.
One variable is the utilisation of the Supercharger stall, say it makes $0.20 per kWh.
How many kWh per day on average?
If it was averaging 200 kWh, then it makes on average $40 per year $14,600 assuming the stall has a 10 year operating life, that should more than recoup the capital cost of the charger.
For busy holiday seasons the challenge is peak capacity, but for most of the year utilisation might be the challenge in some locations.

For Supercharger V3, batteries are included, and a 20 year, operating life for the batteries and stalls is much better than 10,

For the Semi, Solar LCOE is in the $35-$50 range, low enough to suggest charging at $0.07 kWh ($70 MWh) is at least break even.
LCOE includes seasonal variation, in some US / Canadian locations the average monthly solar production in the worst month in winter might only be 5-10% of the best month in summer. This varies with latitude.

For Megacharging with solar there are 2 options:-
  1. Contract it - probably at best around $70 MWh.
  2. Build it - possibly around $50 MWh - but significant capital is required and they need to sell the excess at least 9 months of the year.
In the early days of Megacharging the challenge will be low utilisation and significant capital costs due to the need for several MWh of battery storage.
Contract it, rather than build it, makes more sense, but break-even seems hard to achieve.

If I was doing "build it", some Supercharger stalls in the same location is worth considering., Megacharging might be $0.07, Supercharging at this site $0.25, Supercharging elsewhere $0.45 I would offer Supercharging at a discounted rate to drive customers to this site, especially during busy holiday driving seasons. The higher margin on Supercharging helps while Megacharging ramps up.

The caveat here is I have no idea what they are actually planning, these are just some of the variables I think need to be juggled,.

Skipped a few pages to catch up. Not sure this has been posted.

Possible. Not probable. Probability <=2.0%?

They have been making these "competition is coming" predictions since 2014. It's 2022 and all we see are legacy auto having less net income than a few years back and GM's stock dropping to IPO prices..lol.

But hey, the market has voted that Tesla would win or else they wouldn't award the company a marketcap more than all of the others combined. So you need contrarian commentaries or else no one will read the articles.

r/technology has been extremely negative towards anything Elon / Tesla for a while now. Seems everyone migrated from r/realtesla to r/technology when he publicly announced his interest in twitter, or his political views. Definitely wasn't always like this.

Yep. What like 500kWh for $180K or so...
Not sure if that's sarcastic but have you looked at the prices of diesel class A units? You can get a really nice heavy 5th wheel for a real good price comparatively and spend the balance on the Tesla Semi and be way ahead. I feel like it's a decent stepping stone to electric RV's at the moment for those that want it at least.

Reactions: Gigapress
r/technology has been extremely negative towards anything Elon / Tesla for a while now. Seems everyone migrated from r/realtesla to r/technology when he publicly announced his interest in twitter, or his political views. Definitely wasn't always like this.
R/worldnews hate Elon, R/selfdrivingcars hate Tesla, and R/electriccars hate Tesla.

Besides R/Elonmusk, R/spaceX, R/teslamotors, and R/teslainvestorclub, the rest of reddit can't stand Elon/Tesla.