Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t control the macros. If the macros pop up 5% then that changes things for obvious reasons. I have zero clue how anyone is happy about TSLA vastly underperforming it’s beta today after an entire quarter of wall st bashing the hell out of Tesla’s image

But even with the Nasdaq up 4%, not even remotely difficult for MM’s to keep the stock in check. In fact, I’ll say TSLA still closes at 805 for the week even with the macros rallying. MM’s can cap TSLA on a day where the Nasdaq is up 4%? They can easily walk it down from 822 to 805 over the next two days
Can anybody really control the macros? Just seems you can't be happy with anything except a 10% day where the market isn't doing anything. Today is a ~1.5x beta... that really isn't bad at all especially after the beta of the last week and two months.

How am I just as grumpy now as I was when markets opened this morning?

…………the fact that Tesla is easily being capped to underperform by quite a bit at this point. Should be up 7.5%……doesnt look like it can even hold a 6% gain

Consider me, not impressed 😕
Huh. So you’re saying ‘stock prices climb a wall of grumpy’?

I could’ve sworn the saying was different somehow. 🤷‍♂️

😅

Probably the most important thing Powell said was that they are watching the economy and they are willing to adjust course if the data shows issues. If we get bad GDP data or significantly more weakening between now and Sept... we're likely to see the rate increases slow or stop and QT adjustments. That'll soften some of the narrative that the Fed is 100% dead set on inflation and economy be damned.

C235D8F86C1188812315760664576_35abe167bb9.1.5.9941596976519546077.mp4.jpg

Can anybody really control the macros? Just seems you can't be happy with anything except a 10% day where the market isn't doing anything. Today is a ~1.5x beta... that really isn't bad at all especially after the beta of the last week and two months.
I expect TSLA to trade at it's beta and/or outperform it's beta everyday.......since the company outperforms expectations for earnings quarter after quarter after quarter.

Sorry but I don't get complacent with watching obvious shenanigans from Wall St. As someone pointed out earlier, TSLA is lower than it was a year and a half ago. 7% lower. Some people will look at other stocks and say "But look at how well it's doing compared to those!"

Well guess what......those companies didn't post 600% net income growth YoY all throughout 2021 and then post 600-700% net income growth for 2022 so far. So no, I'm not going to be happy with the fact that Tesla has held up better than crap companies with no earnings and sky high PE's or no earnings at all that have fallen 70-80%.

Wall St, through their arrogance and stupidity, got TSLA wrong. And guess what.......it didn't matter. They simply pull the same shenanigans time and time again and were all to have plenty of opportunities to buy in at the same price as a year and a half ago.

Well, now we know why. Most analysts and big buyers live in big cities.

crazy dumb.

cognitive decline may be exponential

I expect TSLA to trade at it's beta and/or outperform it's beta everyday.......since the company outperforms expectations for earnings quarter after quarter after quarter.

Sorry but I don't get complacent with watching obvious shenanigans from Wall St. As someone pointed out earlier, TSLA is lower than it was a year and a half ago. 7% lower. Some people will look at other stocks and say "But look at how well it's doing compared to those!"

Well guess what......those companies didn't post 600% net income growth YoY all throughout 2021 and then post 600-700% net income growth for 2022 so far. So no, I'm not going to be happy with the fact that Tesla has held up better than crap companies with no earnings and sky high PE's or no earnings at all that have fallen 70-80%.

Wall St, through their arrogance and stupidity, got TSLA wrong. And guess what.......it didn't matter. They simply pull the same shenanigans time and time again and were all to have plenty of opportunities to buy in at the same price as a year and a half ago.
The market conditions today vs 18 months ago are just so incredibly different. The risk appetite is monumentally lower. If you can't acknowledge that, you'll be very disappointed in everything but the top 10% of bull markets. 18 months ago there was a ton appetite for anything that had growth runway... today profits and cashflow (esp) are king (which is why Tesla has been outperforming of late). We literally have trillions of dollars that have been taken out of the markets and sitting on the sidelines waiting for the smoke to clear. When that starts coming back in, you'll see the appetite for risk grow (I think we are seeing signs of it happening).

When Elon isn't shooting Tesla in the foot with stock sales, Tesla is being appreciated by the market and vastly outperforming the market. Even with those times though, Tesla still remains one of the best returning stocks because of the financial performance.

But also here's the thing.... Wall Street will almost always win. When they lose, they get bailed out. It is a rigged game and will remain a rigged game. You're spinning your tires being mad at it instead of understanding and taking advantage of it. It's like being mad at Alabama football for being good instead of betting with them.

The market conditions today vs 18 months ago are just so incredibly different. The risk appetite is monumentally lower. If you can't acknowledge that, you'll be very disappointed in everything but the top 10% of bull markets. 18 months ago there was a ton appetite for anything that had growth runway... today profits and cashflow (esp) are king (which is why Tesla has been outperforming of late). We literally have trillions of dollars that have been taken out of the markets and sitting on the sidelines waiting for the smoke to clear. When that starts coming back in, you'll see the appetite for risk grow (I think we are seeing signs of it happening).

When Elon isn't shooting Tesla in the foot with stock sales, Tesla is being appreciated by the market and vastly outperforming the market. Even with those times though, Tesla still remains one of the best returning stocks because of the financial performance.

But also here's the thing.... Wall Street will almost always win. When they lose, they get bailed out. It is a rigged game and will remain a rigged game. You're spinning your tires being mad at it instead of understanding and taking advantage of it. It's like being mad at Alabama football for being good instead of betting with them.
Sums it up for dumb dumbs like me. Post of merit nomination

The pack can be removed, but individual cells can't be removed without causing damage. And even if you could you couldn't find a cell that would match close enough to the rest of the cells in terms of capacity, internal resistance, etc. for the repair to last long term.
Informative. Two more questions.

How often does this happen.

Is there an avenue for 3rd party repairs after the warranty is out or will it always be an expensive battery replacement?

Is there an avenue for 3rd party repairs after the warranty is out or will it always be an expensive battery replacement?
For old 2012-early 2016 Model S packs it is happening more often now. For newer packs it doesn't seem to be as bad.

And no, the only repair options are for the electronics/contactors inside the pack. Nothing can be done at the cell/module level. There are two third party shops that say they can "snip bad cells" or replace modules, but that doesn't last long before the pack fails again. There are two reputable third party shops that say the only way to repair a car with a bad cell is to replace the entire pack. (Which they can normally do cheaper than Tesla, though Tesla offers a better warranty than these shops.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Drax7 and hiroshiy
Informative. Two more questions.

old style packs could be sold for storage use. They have modules and if only one cell is bad you can reuse all the other modules but that one for stationary storage.

Selling your old pack that way can offset the cost of a new pack if you are getting a newer used pack.

If you are buying a new pack form Tesla they take the old pack as part of the price for the new one (they don't tell people what the value of the old pack is, they just say Old pack + X$ in fine print and say X$ in the big print).