Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Likely related to a pricing adjustment comiing after the "Inflation Reduction Act" tax credits.. The Gov't won't decide / announce which vehicles are eligible until Dec 2022. Tesla needs to have that information before they can set retail prices for their cars in 2023.

Luckily, Tesla has more than enough of a backorder logjam to work through til then.
Surprised they stopped selling the long range in North America. Something is up.

Maybe bring back the mid-range Model 3 from 2018 and drop the price to $52-53K so people can still order paint and/or wheels stay under $55K.

With all the improvements they have made, heat pump, etc it might be close to a 280-300 mile car.

Avoids the pit falls of just trying to drop the price on the current long range to under $55K.

Last edited:
This story below has nothing to do with Tesla and is about real estate, yet they stick Elon's name in there for clicks. He must be like the most famous non-celeb out there. It's insanity, he hasn't owned those homes in years, doesn't even live in CA anymore, so far removed... yet.

It’s Business Insider, what do you expect?

As some of you may know, distribution of goods into Europe is a big thing in The Netherlands.
Some 10 years ago I was busy with the project management of the development of a huge multi-modal distribution location.
While at it, I learned from distribution companies that the location they choose can depend on a few cts/km in transport.
Now, the semi doesn't differ from diesel trucks in cts/km, but in tens of cts/km.
This goes to show what an absolute game-changer the Tesla semi will be.
Transport companies will want to have their hands on them yesterday, because of the enormous competitive edge it will give them.

But if that's not enough: the fact that the first semi deliveries recently have been announced for 2022, with the cybertruck in 2023, can mean only one thing in my opinion.
Tesla has tackled the 4680 ramp-up problems in such a way, that Tesla has enough confidence to foresee the near future 4680 production now.
We have a very, very exciting year ahead of us.

Oops, I did this wrong. Force is proportional to speed squared. Power (kilowatts) is proportional to speed cubed.

This means the % change in range is actually 1 - (old speed/new speed)^2 and the % change in energy consumption is (new speed/old speed)^2.

This means in my first post I was majorly understating how much Tesla has understated the Semi's cost advantage.

General formula:
Wind drag power / propulsion efficiency / speed = stored energy used / mile
range = stored energy total / (stored energy/mile)

range = stored energy tot / (wind/efficiency/speed)
range = stored energy tot * efficiency * speed / wind

r2/r1 = (stored energy2 * efficiency2 * speed2 / wind2) / (stored energy1 * efficiency1 * speed1 / wind1)
Stored energy and propulsion efficiency are constant
r2/r1 = (stored energy2 * efficiency2 * speed2 / wind2) / (stored energy1 * efficiency1 * speed1 / wind1)
r2/r1 = speed2/speed1 * wind1/wind2

w2/w1 = (speed2/speed1)^3

r2/r1 = speed2/speed1 * (speed1/speed2)^3
r2/r1 = (speed1/speed2)^2

Define x = energy/mile

x = Wind drag power / propulsion efficiency / speed
x2/x1 = (Wind2 / efficiency2 / speed2) / (Wind1 / efficiency1 / speed 1)
Propulsion efficiency is constant
x2/x1 = (Wind2 / efficiency2 / speed2) / (Wind1 / efficiency1 / speed 1)
x2/x1 = (wind2/wind1) * (speed1/speed2)

w2/w1 = (speed2/speed1)^3

x2/x1 = (speed2/speed1)^3 * (speed1/speed2)
x2/x1 = (Speed2 / Speed 1)^2
I think you might be neglecting to account for the difference in transmission gearing in an ICE vs Electric.

Reactions: hacer
So, for all these calls and puts and such forth which I know nothing about (straight up shares for me, thank you very much), are the payouts based on the 4pm close (>900) or the after hours close (surely to be <900) of today? Just curious.
normal trading hours is when the options market closes, however, the underlying shares continue to be traded.

• Helpful
Reactions: Skryll
Tesla has tackled the 4680 ramp-up problems in such a way, that Tesla has enough confidence to foresee the near future 4680 production now.
We have a very, very exciting year ahead of us.
(Nice post BTW, just a question/ niggle)

Are we even sure the Semi is using the 4680 cells? I'd assumed they would, but recently there has been speculation here that they might use 2170s for the initial run. Seems like there is a surplus of 2170 cells right now.

Either way it suggests they have a enough cells to launch a new battery hungry product. If they are 4680 that is super-bullish. If it's just a surplus of 2170s and they are still struggling with 4680 production, less so, but still decent news.

(Nice post BTW, just a question/ niggle)

Are we even sure the Semi is using the 4680 cells? I'd assumed they would, but recently there has been speculation here that they might use 2170s for the initial run. Seems like there is a surplus of 2170 cells right now.

Either way it suggests they have a enough cells to launch a new battery hungry product. If they are 4680 that is super-bullish. If it's just a surplus of 2170s and they are still struggling with 4680 production, less so, but still decent news.
I imagine Elon wants to scale up Semi accordingly and don't want 4680s to be any kind of bottle neck. If so then both Texas Ys and Semi lines will be choked which is a huge drag on margins.

Reactions: FlamingPIG and Ogre
IMG_20220812_232117.jpg

Media bias in full display today. Articles about Anne Heche's car crash into a house, that resulted in a fire and her being burned alive, don't mention the brand. The crash damage doesn't even look that bad. I was trying to figure out what she was driving, but so far haven't found any mention of it. If she had been in a Tesla, every headline would have been: "Anne burned alive in her Tesla EV!!!"

Media bias in full display today. Articles about Anne Heche's car crash into a house, that resulted in a fire and her being burned alive, don't mention the brand. The crash damage doesn't even look that bad. I was trying to figure out what she was driving, but so far haven't found any mention of it. If she had been in a Tesla, every headline would have been: "Anne burned alive in her Tesla EV!!!"
It was a Mini and it was mentioned in a lot of the coverage, including the video of her speeding just before the crash.

Nobody knows for sure, but I am putting my money on a ramp up of Tesla's 4680 in the not so far future.
Because Tesla now not only announces the semi for 2022, but also the cybertruck for 2023.
Future will tell.

It was a Mini and it was mentioned in a lot of the coverage, including the video of her speeding just before the crash.
Was there 4 paragraphs about the dangers of driving vehicles loaded with dangerous flammable liquids? That’s usually what they do with vehicle accidents right, talk in length about how the vehicle they were driving is particularly dangerous due to its power sources volatility.