Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't see this here...does anyone else think this response has poor optics?

Nice cherry picking! Curious if you read the actual tweet thread, or 'collected' this knowledge via some 3rd party? Here's the context:

To be clear, I have been watching James Lock's Youtube videos since he used to post on his roadtrips w. his Model S 100DL to Yellowknife, NWT in Northern Canada. James moved to California, and became an early participant in Tesla's FSD Beta program.

Now if you've watched any of James' library of Beta test videos, he posts 1 video taken on each of 2 test loops near his home in Santa Clara. This forms a valuable resource because he has documented how FSD Beta software has evolved over the course of the test program (many thanks, and all due credit to James!).

What James does do, however, is repeatedly and continuously report the SAME issue. I've watched him drive pass the Speed Limit sign on Plum Canyon Rd just outside his neighborhood which has NOT been recognized for almost a year now. And James reports it repeatedly, even though the behaviour hasn't changed. Missed/late lane changes and other issues that are consistent ARE known to the Beta team. It's just impatience.

Elon's point is simple: Tesla is running this early release Beta version v10.69 to identify any NEW issues. There is little point in continuing to point out KNOWN issues, as this is not the finished product. Indeed, what James would seemingly have the Tesla Autopilot team do is work on HIS list of priorities (ie: multiple lane changes in short order after a complex mult-lane left turn). 'So DON'T work on Chuck's problem; work on MY problems.' Yeah... :p

Do you understand now why Elon reacted to James' tweet as an Engineering Manager, and not like some PR poofdah? Do you think James' original tweet was appropriate, or even helpful? Will his issues still exist in 10.69.1 or 10.69.2 versions? Yes, most likely. But that's the time to advance the conversation on what to fix next, not while trying to improve and/or create a new suite of features targeting better performance in a different scenario (ie: Chuck's complex left turn).

Cheers to the FSD Beta team! ;)

Last edited:
Sadly, some other sources are saying this isn't true and that Berlin's current run rate is still 1300/week.

Man what a disappointment this factory continues to be. At this point, it's practically assured Austin will leapfrog them in production by Q4, if not this quarter. By far the biggest blunder by since the Model 3 launch. Yes, even bigger blunder than the S/X refresh.

Yes Giga Berlin had to happen eventually, but just think of what Tesla's global production rate would be if they had done a second China factory.....or even started construction on Austin first instead of Berlin. 🥴
*sigh*

A second China factory before Berlin would have added risk, or have you forgotten that Shanghai was shutdown for a large chunk of Q2!? And now we’ve been dealing with power restrictions because of a drought there.

It’s both fortunate and unfortunate that the Berlin factory is run predominantly by Germans. Don’t make me spell it out for you.

It’s time you started taking some happy pills. You’ve let the negativity go over the top now and it’s affecting your ability to think clearly.

1300/wk, 1800/wk none of it matters. It’ll work out just fine. Trust me.

Nice cherry picking! Curious if you read the actual tweet thread, or 'collected' this knowledge via some 3rd party? Here's the context:

To be clear, I have been watching James Lock's Youtube videos since he used to post on his roadtrips w. his Model S 100DL to Yellowknife, NWT in Northern Canada. James moved to California, and became an early participant in Tesla's FSD Beta program.

Now if you've watched any of James' library of Beta test videos, he posts 1 video taken oon each of 2 test loops near his home in Santa Clara. This is forms a valuable resource because he has documented how the FSD software has evolved over the course of the Beta test program (many thanks, and all credit to James!).

What James does do, however, is always, repeatedly, and continuously report the SAME issue. I've watched him pass the Speed Limit sign on Plum Canyon Rd just outside his neighborhood NOT get recognized for nearly a year now. And James reports it nearly ever single time, lol. As do the missed/late lane changes. And other stuff that is consistent.

Elon's point is simple: We are running this earrly release Beta version (10.69) to identify any NEW problems. There is little point in continuing to point out KNOWN issues, as this is not the finished product. Indeed, what James would have the Tesla Autopilot team do is work on HIS list of priorities (ie: multiple lane changes in short order after a complex mult-lane left turn). 'So DON'T work on Chuck's problem; work on MY problems.'

Do you understand now why Elon reacted to James' tweet as an Engineering Manager, and not like some PR poofdah? Do you think James' original tweet was appropriate, or even helpful? Will those issues still exist in 10.69.1 or 10.69.2 versions? Yes, most likely. But that's the time to advance the conversation on what's next to fix, not while trying to improve and/or create a new suite of features targeting better performance in a different scenario (ie: Chuck's complex left turn).

Thank you!!! He really hasn't contributed anything imo. He points out obvious issues constantly, like signaling for the merge after that right turn on test loop.

I do appreciate his videos.

Thank you!!! He really hasn't contributed anything imo. He points out obvious issues constantly, like signaling for the merge after that right turn on test loop.

I do appreciate his videos.

Yeah, I even left out some context in my original tweet. Now edited my #360,742 to include the OP's original stand-alone tweet, which was Elon's reply to James Lock.

As long as we all do this in good faith, it'll be fine. We need to focus on the end goal, which is the dramatic decrease in traffic accidents, injuries and deaths which can be achieved via Tesla FSD. Delay is unconscionable, that's why Dan O'Dowd is so misguided.

Cheers to the Longs!

Lending out some eyewear -

View attachment 845033

Ah yeah, shouldn't that cap be more like this: :p

abf5fcfd473ebcfab3d7d81bed10205f.jpg

Cheers!

Yes the conclusion was a joke. The simplest and most empirically supported explanation is that the stock market crashed, and so as expected from beta = 2, TSLA crashed twice as hard, and then better-than-expected execution and numbers from Tesla this year caused TSLA to recover more than the NASDAQ has recovered.

That being said, while the evidence clearly shows that TSLA's short-term movement is dominated by the movement of the overall stock market, it's still true that Elon's antics might be a significant factor. TSLA has moderately outperformed the NASDAQ Composite this year and has outperformed expectations even more when the beta of 2 is taken into account. Would TSLA have outperformed even more in the last 12 months if Elon hadn't tried to buy Twitter, sold a bunch of stock, gotten into political fights, etc? On the other hand, maybe his involvement in these things was a net positive for TSLA due to simply attracting more attention.

However, the timing of the biggest drops in TSLA's price have coincided almost exactly with the broader market collapse days and not so much with major dates in the stock selling and Twitter acquisition saga. Also, TSLA trading activity is now tightly coupled to mutual funds that track or are benchmarked to the major indices (S&P, NASDAQ, Russell) which means that if there's net buying or selling of the indices, there will be net buying or selling of TSLA. Tesla also is the market's emblem of risk appetite, so it probably reflects, to some degree, how much growth risk and investing aggressiveness the market is in the mood for at any given time.
@Gigapress
You need OHLCV TSLA data to 2010 (fairly clean)

Attachments

• Tesla daily close vol open hi low.zip
    195.7 KB · Views: 47
I’m almost happy that there has been no big bounce purely due to a split. Bummed for my account balance for sure, but since I am in the camp that “splits are meaningless to fundamentals“ it is somewhat good that some sense has returned.

Price increases around splits I think are predominantly correlation rather than causation.

Companies that do splits are generally in long term share price uptrends anyway due to good company performance, hence their share price is likely to continue going up regardless of a split.

What’s more, the last time tesla split it was in a VIOLENT 2020 UPTREND for both its own share price, and that of a broader swathe of high growth tech names (which ended up peaking in early 2021)

Cam Tierney of Worm Capital provided a twitter thread highlighting technical details of Tesla innovations presented in 4 Tesla sessions by Ashok and other Tesla's Dojo team members at the CVPR'22 WAD.

Conclusion:
Each of these highlights are bleeding edge approaches to AI software and training. Tesla continues to demonstrate an ability to move quickly in response to new information – a key advantage in the fast-evolving realm of AI.

Last edited:
Wow, that is a super interesting read. All of those naysayers were 100% wrong while Farzy was in reality even a bit conservative!!! So many people were reasoning by analogy, easy but incorrect way to do analysis.

Really makes you wonder about how the NEXT 10 years of Tesla will go. 🤔
If one were to reason by analogy, conquests rather than companies might better comparisons to consider in this case.

In doing so, related, accurate, and useful tidbits surface such as “In war, truth is the first victim" (variously attributed including Aeschylus).

Reactions: Mengy

Now if you've watched any of James' library of Beta test videos, he posts 1 video taken on each of 2 test loops near his home in Santa Clara. This forms a valuable resource because he has documented how FSD Beta software has evolved over the course of the test program (many thanks, and all due credit to James!).

What James does do, however, is repeatedly and continuously report the SAME issue. I've watched him drive pass the Speed Limit sign on Plum Canyon Rd just outside his neighborhood which has NOT been recognized for almost a year now. And James reports it repeatedly, even though the behaviour hasn't changed. Missed/late lane changes and other issues that are consistent ARE known to the Beta team. It's just impatience.

Elon's point is simple: Tesla is running this early release Beta version v10.69 to identify any NEW issues. There is little point in continuing to point out KNOWN issues, as this is not the finished product. Indeed, what James would seemingly have the Tesla Autopilot team do is work on HIS list of priorities (ie: multiple lane changes in short order after a complex mult-lane left turn). 'So DON'T work on Chuck's problem; work on MY problems.' Yeah... :p

Do you understand now why Elon reacted to James' tweet as an Engineering Manager, and not like some PR poofdah? Do you think James' original tweet was appropriate, or even helpful? Will his issues still exist in 10.69.1 or 10.69.2 versions? Yes, most likely. But that's the time to advance the conversation on what to fix next, not while trying to improve and/or create a new suite of features targeting better performance in a different scenario (ie: Chuck's complex left turn).

This is why I have blocked most of the “Tesla Community” on Twitter. They tend to be eternal whiners poking at Elon for their favorite feature, sycophants who are desperately fishing for a “like” from Elon, or narcissists who post glamour shots of themselves in their Teslas.

Noting here a story from Reuters (behind paywall at Schwab) on how the Tesla split
interacts with potential Dow inclusion. One analyst bemoaned that Tesla's (current)
volatility is just too much for the index.

Excerpt from another:

"At current prices, the Elon Musk-led company would be the fourth largest weight in the price-weighted Dow if it were to be included, right behind Home Depot, Goldman Sachs and UnitedHealth. I can't imagine that the committee would rush to make a company that sports such an extremely high valuation by any conventional metric a flagship in a highly selective, arbitrary index," said Interactive Brokers' Chief Strategist Steve Sosnick."

They go on to posit that AMZN and GOOGL, also with recent stock splits, might make better candidates
for DJIA, before more verbiage:

"Criteria for inclusion into the 30-member Dow Jones Industrial Average is not very explicit.
The stock selection does not follow "quantitative rules" but the company typically has "excellent reputation, demonstrates sustained growth and is of interest to a large number of investors".

My own opinion is that Tesla is quite "industrial" and would be a great candidate
after bond-rating agency boosts.

Last edited:
To clarify, I'm saying that Elon's antics might be significant in the sense that it has some nonzero influence but I don't have good data on hand to test it.

The coefficient of determination (R^2) for the NASDAQ vs TSLA is about 80% depending on what time period I look at. That means most of the TSLA variation over the short term is caused by, or at least correlated with, the NASDAQ's movement. It also means that 100-80% = 20% of the variation remains unexplained by the model. The macro market is the overwhelmingly dominant factor, having 80/20 = 4x more influence than all other factors combined and more like 6x more influence when we look at only Q2 when the Twitter stuff all started.

That ~20% unexplained variation is either totally random or other factors are at play, one of which might be Elon's public behavior and stock sales. Other strong candidates include Tesla's actual quarterly reports and guidance, the new factories finally starting production, Tesla's avalanche of demand and subsequent price raises, and the US EV tax credit being refreshed. Also, as @StarFoxisDown! has pointed out, the Shanghai COVID shutdowns may have provided Wall St manipulators the opportunity to keep Tesla's impending explosion of profits from affecting the stock much this summer, but that dam will break soon enough.

Edit: I should also point out that for the simple model using only the NASDAQ index to predict TSLA, the prediction error is primarily coming from it underestimating how high TSLA has gotten this summer despite the NASDAQ being way down from earlier this year.
The problem I have with such opinions and analyses of Elon’s "antics" is that they do not factor in the value his public communications and presence create through lead generation, brand awareness, orders, and so on and so forth.

Yes, yes, there are some who are put off by some things he says and carp here about them seemingly endlessly (not saying you @Gigapress).

I usually just scroll by these, er, discussions, but I thought I’d point out—since you have offered something new that actually contributes to the discussion—that they do have a probably net-net positive and material effect (in my estimation) on the performance of the company. This of course translates into increases in the stock price at some point.

Some might point out that “Oh, we’re only talking short term." Which I would say is a specious argument, especially for anyone who considers themselves an investor in the company rather than a speculator, day trader, or other hanger on.

This is why I have blocked most of the “Tesla Community” on Twitter. They tend to be eternal whiners poking at Elon for their favorite feature, sycophants who are desperately fishing for a “like” from Elon, or narcissists who post glamour shots of themselves in their Teslas.

Lol, in the Roman Legions, they were called 'Camp followers'.

800px-Camp_follower_G-W_2016_jeh.jpg

The more things change, the more they stay the same... :p

Cheers!