Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think it’ll integrate much with Tesla. If it was to integrate with anything Starlink is the most likely IMHO.
See post #372900. It's not to be 'integrated' exactly, but 'interconnected' absolutely. Remember, everyone, this is not really just about Twitter. It's about achieving Elon's 1999 vision, finally!

Seems that a few people didn’t get the joke. His tweet said, “Elon entering Twitter HQ. Let that sink in”. So it’s a meta pun joke thing. He is literally and visually letting the sink in. Nothing to do with a kitchen sink, or some sort of sinking joke, no, he is saying it is time to let it sink in that Elon is now CEO of Twitter.
I agree. “Let that sink in” has been an internet meme for awhile. Nothing to do with kitchen sink firings or X.com references.

META culpa: now -$30 overnight and SP below a Century (alternate up-tick rule triggered)

META.2022-10-27.08-07.Lo.png

TSLA and NVDA are the only two Top-10 Tech Majors with their heads above water in this pre-Market. Lotta jockeys changing horses today, I think.

Cheers to the Longs!

Elon has mentioned Weibo IIRC, but I think Alipay is a closer analogy for short-term intentions. Elon's financial services intentions have not changed in concept since 2010, although both technology and regulations have changed.

We've often discussed these plans here, including the Tesla and SpaceX (e.g Starlink) implications. He repeatedly refers to X.com intentions, thwarted when Thiel sold him out when he was on holidays. The video of Elon's aspirations is within the post fo his McLaren delivery I posted here a few days ago.

Within 12-18 months Tesla will certainly benefit from the payment innovations. Think deposits, loan/lease payments, merchandise and, don't forget, subscriptions and Superchargers.

The Chinese analogues in Weibo and AliPay were described succinctly back in 2014:

I don't know when the Tesla announcements will be made; my speculation is that once the regulatory, processing and systems issues have been sorted there will be announcements.
In the meantime until the bots issue has been squashed and Twitter rejuvenation has been well undertaken these things will not happen.

Personally I've been waiting for this since 1999. Oddly nobody has really done this in the US, even though much of it has been done elsewhere. Almost all of us are underestimating the potential.

Just one example: Nubank (look it up) was founded in 2013 with a narrowed vision drawn from the same idea. From nothing it has become the most valuable bank in South America.
There are several examples around the world.

Elon was in 1999 the only one who actually had the grasp of the totality. This Twitter deal is only to facilitate the future, while providing notoriety for a massive amount of political machinations that have only peripheral consequences for the vision. That in no way ignores how consequential all those machinations can become.

We are living in interesting times.

This is what so many of the nay-sayers find uncomfortable to grasp. There is no way to look at anything Elon does from a simple perspective and those who fail to grasp the big picture struggle endlessly over understanding how it might be beneficial in a grand way.

Of course, this is what makes Elon,... well, Elon, isn't it? If everyone were able to think a little bigger, apply first principles, and herd multiple companies toward achieving a common goal for improving humanity we wouldn't be talking about it. Mostly because, if everyone could envision such outcomes it would have already happened without a person like Elon doing it.

I understand how limiting one's perspective can lead to making statements that, over time, are repeatedly proven wrong ("he wants to get out of the deal," "buying Twitter is a mistake," and so on...). It would be great to see more posts from folks with a perspective like @unk45 who bring balance to weigh against such simple arguments, and against FUD in general.

Thanks!

Last edited:
This is what so many of the nay-sayers find uncomfortable to grasp. There is no way to look at anything Elon does from a simple perspective and those who fail to grasp the big picture struggle endlessly over understanding how it might be beneficial in a grand way.

Of course, this is what makes Elon,... well, Elon, isn't it? If everyone were able to think a little bigger, apply first principles, and herd multiple companies toward achieving a common goal for improving humanity we wouldn't be talking about it. Mostly because, if everyone could envision such outcomes it would have already happened without a person like Elon doing it.

I understand how limiting one's perspective can lead to making statements that, over time, are repeatedly proven wrong ("he wants to get out of the deal," "buying Twitter is a mistake," and so on...). It would be great to see more posts from folks with a perspective like @unk45 who bring balance to weigh against such simple arguments, and against FUD in general.

Thanks!
por qué no los dos ;)

He wanted to get out of the deal(else why the drama), but he also has capability/vision to take Twitter user base/app and make it into a GigaApp ... (tweets, messaging, real news, payment system, entertainment etc etc...). cheers!!

Buy Square/Block(34B market cap), make Jack CEO and make it a GigaApp ;)

por qué no los dos ;)

He wanted to get out of the deal(else why the drama), but he also has capability/vision to take Twitter user base/app and make it into a GigaApp ... (tweets, real news, payment system, entertainment etc etc...). cheers!!

Buy Square/Block(34B market cap), make Jack CEO and make it a GigaApp ;)

The drama that ensued always seemed to me to be a legal mechanism that was purposefully exercised in an attempt to reduce the price (at best) and to bring wide attention to the problems with Twitter (accomplished) rather than it ever being a sincere effort to get out of the deal.

This "drama" was in my opinion purposeful, planned, and executed to perfection. Now Twitter users are informed about what his plans for the company are and most may be retained as users (excluding bots and black hats) because of this campaign.

Likewise, those using Twitter to nefarious ends have taken a shot across the bow, warning them their time has come to find another sandbox to influence public opinion from.

The drama that ensued always seemed to me to be a legal mechanism that was purposefully exercised in an attempt to reduce the price (at best) and to bring wide attention to the problems with Twitter (accomplished) rather than it ever being a sincere effort to get out of the deal.

This "drama" was in my opinion purposeful, planned, and executed to perfection. Now Twitter users are informed about what his plans for the company are and most may be retained as users (excluding bots and black hats) because of this campaign.

Likewise, those using Twitter to nefarious ends have taken a shot across the bow, warning them their time has come to find another sandbox to influence public opinion from.
The drama ensued because he did not do his homework, prior to making the offer. All people make mistakes, human trait.
So the drama was to get out of the deal which was to pay 54$.

Time will be the judge on whether this is going to be a success. With Elon at the helm, I think it will. Next week I will open a twitter account.
cheers!!

++ disagrees are OK, your opinion is as good/better than mine ...
logical thinking ... did all homework(and due diligence) and still paid $54 or did not do all required due diligence for a take over ... quandary here ... ;)

Last edited:
The way I explain Gary to folks that aren't Gary, is that engineers think differently from financial folks.

It is a fundamentally different way to approach problem solving.

Engineers know they can solve the problem in a more efficient/functional way with given constraints and financial folks want a pretty graph they can talk to. Gary just doesn't 'get' Elon due to Elon being an engineer through and through.

There are 2 types of Finance people:
1. The ones that talk
2. The ones that do

Wall Street types talk and rarely have any experience doing.

The drama ensued because he did not do his homework, prior to making the offer. All people make mistakes, human trait.
So the drama was to get out of the deal which was to pay 54$.

Time will be the judge on whether this is going to be a success. With Elon at the helm, I think it will. Next week I will open a twitter account.
cheers!!
It is difficult for me to imagine Elon making that offer without having done his homework. Just doesn't jive with what we know about his business acumen to date. Sure, he makes mistakes, but his intention from the get-go was to acquire Twitter as a means of jump-starting the idea for X.com that had been gestating for many, many years.

I do agree that time will tell and offer that his track record speaks for itself.

I am not sure where all the excitement about a new online payment system comes from. Elon’s perspective may be too US centric. Europe has been using chip based debit cards for decades now. And smartphone based QR-code payments are pretty widespread. You can pay online with a one-time direct debit too. Or you can approve a recurring direct debit. Tesla already supports such SEPA direct debit in Europe.
With the plethora of digital payment systems available in Europe, I have yet to see someone Apple Pay for the first time. It is simply not needed in Europe. And certainly not if the business model requires royalties or commissions on every payment. China doesn’t need a new payment system either. So consider me skeptical about the possibility of success for a twitter payment system.

Jesus - one of NBC Today lead stories is criminal probe of Tesla. 5 minutes of bashing based on Reuters with nothing to add.
It was a good thing Elon grabbed the sink when he did yesterday, because MM’s were throwing everything else they had at TSLA to hold the price down the last half hour, even with the help of deceptive TSLA FUD spreading. It felt a little bit like trading into TSLA’s first split to me……a lot was happening that we couldn’t see. And as this morning’s pre market started to run away from them I am not surprised to see this mentioned about NBC drawing a 15 yard penalty for piling on. Feels like MM’s thought there were more shares to cover with and more time to cover all their efforts to lower the share price of TSLA prior to any TWTR deal…………..and then a video of Elon at Twitter with a sink appear. Looks like MM’s are the ones ‘sink’ing this morning. Makes me wonder if Elon was also sending a message to Wall Street to let that sink in - that things were wrapped up without all the extra shares they were counting on. And now we are off to the races with some wild trading once again. It’s nice to see the MM’s as confused as the rest of us regarding how Elon might have played his hand.