Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today was a great day on the markets. A lot of green and a lot of red, both during regular trading hours and after hours, of the mega caps and not so mega caps that I am tracking (for reference to my TSLA). The winners are now being separated from the losers. I expect there to be much more divergence between the two groups. In a Bull market 9 out of every 10 participants increase their wealth. In a Bear market only 1 out of every 9 participants increase their wealth. Picking the winners will become critical. Good money will flow from the masses of overpriced companies into a select few highly profitable companies. It is like panning for gold, the nuggets stay on top of the screening and all the sludge falls through with a good shake up. Still a lot of sludge to fall from the trillions of $s of Covid emergency relief funds. The nuggets will become obvious with their healthy financials and remain on top. This wealth transfer is just beginning. Transfer from oil & gas to green renewable energy and their products is so obvious, so simple and will be the biggest transfer of wealth in our lifetime. Glad to be apart of it. Thanks Tesla.

Def a demand problem...

1666835034877.png

Huge sell block initiated right when that came out.

Gee.....I wonder if hedge fund knew that news was about to come out :rolleyes:
And...
According to the LA Times (no friend to Tesla) in this article, "The Justice Department’s criminal investigation remains ongoing and may not lead to charges being brought. It began last year, according to the person."

So, 15 minutes before market close where Elon's purchase of Twitter is to be confirmed in after-hours details, Reuters launches a damning headline for a stalled investigation that began last year, and a hedge fund simultaneously sells a huge block of TSLA shares. What an odd coincidence. Truly odd. /s

Our Explorer is 0% from Ford Credit...

Last Tacoma was made in NUMMI on March 26th 2010. Last car at NUMMI was a red Corolla built on April 1, 2010. Tesla bought it a few months later sans most equipment.
The Last Toyota Tacoma Leaves NUMMI
GM, Toyota Joint Venture NUMMI Built Its Last Car

Tesla bought the plant for $42 million. Otherwise known as 420 hundred grands...

That's great, but 30+% margin from those divisions means that they are making some serious coin on a lot of people.

Sounds like my neighbors friends. They went to his house to get something and could not get in because they both forgot the 4 digit garage code and both of their phones died on the way over. They rang my bell asking if they could charge at my house while they wait for their friends return. I told them no problem, I opened my garage door, threw out an extension cord and closed the garage door. I think they expected TV and snacks, no kidding.

I worked at a Dot bomb and have plenty experience with the entitled and "I must have a tent in my office" crowd although it was tamer then. I had to loan by CEO boss money to pay rent because he blew it all on strip clubs and raves. I have also fully educated my Google neighbor that taking out the trash is not a big accomplishment worthy of a gold star. Never knew I would be such a good parent without having any kids.

My Niece and Nephew are in their 20's and raised by an Eastern Euro mom, they have none of these attributes and they are hard workers and quite successful even after being raised in LA beach towns full of spoiled kids.

My neighbor now owns shares of Tesla and no longer "hates" Elon. I deserve a gold star and boba tea as good surrogate parent and financial advisor.
Voted Moderator's Choice: Most Entertaining

I mentioned before that I have to sell stock for some big purchase items (furniture and paying for our luxury anniversary cruise in February).

We are really looking forward - especially the cruise. It is very nice that we can do these things from the huge profit we gained over the years. This being said: it is so incredibly hard to part from the stock that has been so good to us! We got plenty left but still, it is almost like I am emotionally attached to them! I have sold other stock before, but this one feels so different!

Our Explorer is 0% from Ford Credit...
There are many ways to skin a cat just like there many ways to rake Ford Credit buyers over the coals.

0% interest sounds good unless the interest in already included in the MSRP. And, of course, any reduction in interest rate is simply a reduction in MSRP. Because there is always a cost of borrowing.

I hope Tesla never plays the 0% interest game (at a time when interest rates are above 0%). This is nothing more than an attempt to get people to go into debt under the false premise that it's not costing them anything. Someone has to pay for that loan and that "someone" is the borrower.

Those GM Financing and Ford Credit numbers are eye-watering. They must really rake their buyers over the coals on finance rates.
When a lease is returned and they are able to sell the car for more than what’s on the books, it’s a windfall. The last 18 months has been raining money on companies with lots of outstanding leases on the books. As used car prices come down, the money will slow down. If they drop enough, then the reverse happens and their lucky fortunes reverse. Higher interest rates and declinging demand for ICE vehicles may well turn into double trouble.

I think what his hoping for is a response which will almost certainly result in a pop of the stock. Whether that movement stays or not during live trading hours, anyone's guess.

I know you can read between the lines and think well his out of time to sell, but an actual response from him would move the stock a lot further than reading between the lines.

Reactions: SmokyPeat
I think what his hoping for is a response which will almost certainly result in a pop of the stock. Whether that movement stays or not during live trading hours, anyone's guess.

I know you can read between the lines and think well his out of time to sell, but an actual response from him would move the stock a lot further than reading between the lines.
Yeah, if Elon tweeted that he's done selling, I'm pretty sure we'd see an end of October rally like we had last year. Now, if he wants to buy back some shares...., it might suit him to hold off on any announcement for a bit.

Slightly off topic, other than the overhang lifting- but funny nonetheless:
Also quite the interesting tidbit from Karen about the media ignoring the Wright brothers first flights. My father grew up in Dayton OH, and his father worked at Wright Patterson AFB. I was raised on stories of the Wright brothers bicycle shop and their early experiments in aeronautics, yet somehow this information had eluded me. Fascinating.
On topic regarding China (love that video and the original video is golden), has it been discussed here that Xi’s new #2 and head of the economy, Li Qiang, and Tesla are very well acquainted? As Shanghai party chief, would he have been the one that Tesla negotiated with for GF Shanghai? Certainly, he attended the groundbreaking, Model 3 delivery event, etc.

Not sure that Tesla won’t be swept up in larger issues, but it may not be safe to assume that Tesla will pause its expansion of GF Shanghai.

Gary’s credibility has been circling the drain for a while.
The way I explain Gary to folks that aren't Gary, is that engineers think differently from financial folks.

It is a fundamentally different way to approach problem solving.

Engineers know they can solve the problem in a more efficient/functional way with given constraints and financial folks want a pretty graph they can talk to. Gary just doesn't 'get' Elon due to Elon being an engineer through and through.