Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The market isn’t afraid of anything. That’s an *excuse* it uses to increase money making churn. The market CREATES the fear. The market also CREATES the uncertainty. The market CREATES the doubt.

Stop falling for the game and repeating the market’s narratives. Be Lucy, not Charlie.
Better yet- be Snoopy! ;)

I'm going to re-emphasize what I said 1-2 weeks ago:

The Fed is not going to turn dovish until they see unemployment numbers turn ugly. Right now, employment is still strong overall (but some sectors are slowing).

75bs today, and probably a still hawkish wording in their release statement and press conference.

Don't expect a sustained rally (maybe a day or two bump b/c of "clarify" with the rate being locked in), sadly.

Mostly correct, particularly with technology companies. This is why patent trolls are so bad for the industry. They have an arsenal of patents often bought from some now defunct company, but have no actual products they need to protect.

But the particular examples I gave are in fact patented, protected things and the sort of thing these companies feel are worth protecting. Ford's weird tailgate step is in fact patented and GM had to come up with their own slightly different weird tailgate step to combat it. Ford also has patents for the frunk on their F-150 as well. Musk describes this as landmines to prevent people from following and he's 100% correct.

As I said above, none of this really protects them and giving Tesla access to their tailgate step or their keypad entry system won't harm their underlying business. But you'd never convince Ford's C-Suite that it's worth trading access for those to get the Tesla charger.

Tesla would never require Ford to give up their tailgate patents in order to adopt the Tesla charging standard so that's a false dichotomy.

Karpathy also told us the reason this management style is not prevalent. Essentially he said you need a very smart person with a big hammer who is willing to make decisions.

What Karpathy means is you need a genius level engineer in power. This is pretty much unheard of previously. It is nearly impossible for engineers to rise up to the C suite in normally managed companies. A smart engineer isn't going to wade through 3 or more layers of middle management positions which lack decision making power and don't do any engineering. Karpathy even left Tesla largely because he got tired of being a manager.

So it's nearly impossible to find a new "Musk style" executive in an existing company... likely difficult even in Tesla.

🙋‍♂️ Folks I am available to take over as CEO of Tesla.

Engineer

Alpha enough

Neurodivergent

Willing to post memes all day.

Basically you won't notice a difference from the current CEO.

Well, because as soon as (many) people buy a single share, they suddenly think they have a right to be judge, jury and executioner without actually having lifted a finger to do the hard work that was involved in bringing the company into a profitable existence and the SP to rise and reward them. Basically, people are ungrateful, walking cesspools of destruction and I’d rather they sell, move along, and go pick on a worthier (needs the criticism) cause. This man and company is not it.
Yes, the opinions of those who hold a single share, or even none, are worthless! Cause if you own a bunch you probably did back breaking duty to lift the company, not just profit off a few clicks of your keyboard, and their opinionis are much more valuable. /s = sarcasm

One could argue those believers in the cause should sell their tsla and buy a tesla, which would be way more beneficial to the cause, and show gratefulness. I distinctly remember some members here talking about their ICE vehicles as little as a year ago. Yet we are all individuals, with our own thoughts and bias, and whatever. and deserve to be respected as such.

Reactions: tslagreen and JRP3
Meh, I'd caution against cheering cherry-picked data like that. Not that I think Zach's really trying to mislead anyone--and certainly Model Y is on its way there--but this is likely based on registration data or something similar. And obviously such numbers are backloaded at the end of a quarter and just a result of logistics.

Best selling car in a given quarter though? Now we're talking.
I have tried to find definitive data on this. I would gladly brag to some friends about Model Y's sales. I have said repeatedly to said friends (to their possible annoyance) that in 2024, the Model Y will be the best selling car of any type worldwide. They roll their eyes at me and change the subject.
Sounds like it may well happen in 2023 at this rate. But all I can find are articles saying it was the best selling car in Europe in September, which is great, but I want third party evidence of global dominance.
Speaking of which, I finally figured out how to communicate the ubiquity of the Supercharger network to folks who are curious enough to hop in the Model Y for a look. I leave my (slow but sufficient) in-car browser on the supercharge.info map. Eyes open wide and they get it immediately...people truly have no idea how extensive the existing network already is. If they are still paying attention, time to tell them "but you don't ever need to see that again, because the car just knows it and directs you there when needed."
Sorry (not sorry) to interrupt the b***ching about the data or the bird or whatever supporting or not supporting the momentary stock price.
Glad to hear about the Seattle meeting though. Very heartening and keep up those good vibes. Tesla fundamentals are still GREAT and new reasons to go electric seem to pop up almost every day.

Attachments

• supercharge_info.png
    supercharge_info.png
    333.6 KB · Views: 62
Tesla would never require Ford to give up their tailgate patents in order to adopt the Tesla charging standard so that's a false dichotomy.
I don’t think Tesla’s “open source” patent deal is selective.

Tesla agrees to let people use their patents provided the other party doesn’t sue them for patent infringement. That’s the deal. Whether Tesla wants access to Ford’s patent or not is irrelevant. If Ford were to use Tesla’s charging tech, they would lose the ability to enforce their patents against Tesla.

It doesn’t matter how much Tesla values Ford’s patents, what matters is how valuable Ford management thinks their patent portfolio is as a competitive tool.

So is acronym bloat in the 2020's.
When I worked in the Hanford Nuclear Reservation back in the 90's there was a 4 page document listing all the TLA's (3 letter acronyms) used there and I fear it's probably 10 pages now and probably converted to an app as well ;-)

Therefore, I wish this issue would stop garnering so much unwarranted attention to make room for information and discussion that's actually useful.

Thanks for compiling all the data (especially re-doing your work after people complained you cherry-picked the method to make your case). But something tells me people just want someone to blame or something to complain about. So, if it's not this, it will be a tweet he made, his political leanings or some other perceived slight. As if any of that matters to the exceptional job he's doing for us (and by "us" I mean all of humanity).

We don't complain when TMC members sell, in fact we often encourage it (particularly for the serial complainers). Because we know it doesn't have any significant effect on the value of our shares. But when the man whose hard work made the shares valuable in the first place wants to sell, the complainers come out whining like a fleet of 747's, all taking off at the same time. It's incomprehensible, and it makes me wonder why they can't see how ridiculous it makes them look. There is no rational reason why Elon shouldn't be able to extract value from his shares, in exactly the same manner all of us have available to us.