Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this sub misses how absolutely hated Elon and tesla are by large chunks of people.

Rightly or not its a substantial thing

I like your bubble. Is it cozy in there?

1667420945712.jpeg

What I am seeing today in some disbelief is this administration’s own Fed Chair giving all his support to mobilizing a Red Wave of voters that care more about their jobs and savings than they care about pronouns while the Dems are at the other end of the hall throwing everything they can think of to stop it. Literally their own appointee is sinking all of their midterm hopes with every sentence he mutters. Thus I am interested in TMC’s opinions whether today’s Fed move has a deeper implication that justifies the old saying that Wall Street is happiest when there is no overwhelming majority control of DC so they can make money while we are all seeing gridlock and a justification for no ability to change?
I would prefer not to venture into a political conversation, especially as election day approaches. But it should be noted that Republican Jerome Powell was first nominated to be the Federal Reserve chaiman by President Trump. President Biden later renominated him. The Senate had to confirm him both times.

Once Fed officials are appointed, they are considered to be independent of both the administration and Congress. So in answer to your question about political gridlock, I do not see that as relevant to what the FOMC and its chairman had to say today.

Collectively the FOMC put into writing a slightly more dovish stance than previously held. Then with spoken words the Fed chairman tried to somewhat walk that back by emphasizing the need to keep fighting inflation. I see that as the type of Fedspeak known as "Moral Suasion", aka Jawboning, which Fed officials see as part of their mandate. Their ideal would be to cool expectations of inflation, which if not cooled could exacerbate inflation. I see that as the Fed chairman's intention during his news conference.

In reality, I suspect that internally the Fed chairman’s outlook is not so hawkish. I would not be surprised if the FOMC's interest rate targets start to slow and reverse sooner than the Fed chairman’s words may have suggested. In any event, the market took his spoken words as negatives.
Powell's job, as he sees it, is to talk down the markets at all costs and to thereby perhaps spare the masses a rate hike or two that might be additionally needed otherwise.

Prepare for a steady stream of Fed Board members to to be talking down the markets over the next few weeks. The only cure will be hard numbers in the form of soft CPI and labor readings.

Fed talking about the labor market too strong but I don’t see anyone talk about the fact that Baby boom generation bigger than following generations and Covid caused a lot of Boomers to retire all at once. Also a lot of inflation due to Chinese lockdowns and Russian war leading to oil & gas prices being bid up. Only tool fed has is to raise rates and kill the economy. Tesla increasing automation and bots may help with labor shortage at some point.

Fed talking about the labor market too strong but I don’t see anyone talk about the fact that Baby boom generation bigger than following generations and Covid caused a lot of Boomers to retire all at once. Also a lot of inflation due to Chinese lockdowns and Russian war leading to oil & gas prices being bid up. Only tool fed has is to raise rates and kill the economy. Tesla increasing automation and bots may help with labor shortage at some point.
+ recent immigration policy changes that are assisting to keep the labor market too tight. By increasing lower wage labor availability you help to put a damper on service sector inflation which has been problematic. Surprising to me this does not get discussed more.

Until the bots arrive we still need more people to work lower wage jobs.