Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other day we saw news that forest clearing has begun at gigaberlin for expansion.

Question: can anyone shed light on what the expansion is? Is it for support buildings for the existing model y factory & cell factory, or is this for an entire new vehicle assembly building?

Nobody knows. They have not said yet what its for. Could be the model 3, could be the robotaxi. Could be something else.

The other day we saw news that forest clearing has begun at gigaberlin for expansion.

Question: can anyone shed light on what the expansion is? Is it for support buildings for the existing model y factory & cell factory, or is this for an entire new vehicle assembly building?

Tesla previously said it plans to expand the Giga Berlin factory by about 100 hectares to add a freight yard to bolster the site's rail links, warehouse to stockpile parts, a train station, training center, and a kindergarten.

Could still be plans for a new vehicle.

Before FOMC raise today, the forecast was 50/50 for 0.50 vs 0.75 on Dec 14th.

Now...

Screenshot 2022-11-02 8.15.10 PM.png

Motley Fool (aptly named) just posted that the main reason for the big fall today is investor fear that Tesla Shanghai will soon be affected by a COVID shutdown. Here's part of their message:

So what?
That is likely because of another resurgence of COVID-19 cases and restrictions in China. Tesla generates approximately one-fourth of its sales from its China plant. So when news surfaced that Chinese electric vehicle maker Nio has temporarily suspended operations at two of its plants due to local virus-related restrictions, some investors are betting it will also impact Tesla.

Now what?
Today, Reuters reported that Nio has halted its production due to efforts to stem the virus' spread. The company confirmed that deliveries and production have both been affected. Nio's facilities are in Hefei, approximately 300 miles from Shanghai. But production at Tesla's Shanghai plant was already interrupted earlier this year from COVID-19 lockdowns in China. And Tesla's suppliers could also be impacted by lockdowns.

Of course the investors forget that Giga Shanghai can operate as it's own little closed city. The concerning part to me though is the potential impact to suppliers. While this is troubling I trust they're taking the steps to eliminate any interruptions in production and deliveries...

I recall the initial plans once fully complete were for 4 buildings of similar size to the current main vehicle assembly building (with ~500k capacity each). Would be understandable if those plans changed to course, especially with the comments on the last warnings call about the next generation vehicle platform achieving twice the capacity with the same factory footprint.

With time of groundbreaking to volume production being ~2 years, would ideally need any new factory to be starting now for 2025 production.

Meet Kevin makes a good point here. Jpowell is purposely tanking the market as its part of the inflation fighting strategy. The minute he heard from the reporter that markets were green, Powell became relentless and just caused the the s&p to have a straight line down.

I made a post about this on reddit. I believe this is true. Which is why he'll never hint at pivoting. Not until he does it. He needs to look relentless in his mission to reduce inflation. He needs to kill sentiment because as we should know, sentiment is important. If he is able to that then part of the job is done for him.

If the market and consumers believe he is softening and spending does not slow down, he will have no choice but to Paul Volcker and raise rates as the only way to stop inflation. He would prefer not to do this. While I put 90% of the blame on the fed. The other 10% I do put on the consumer. No ones really slowing down their spending, which is messing up the reports.

Meet Kevin makes a good point here. Jpowell is purposely tanking the market as its part of the inflation fighting strategy. The minute he heard from the reporter that markets were green, Powell became relentless and just caused the the s&p to have a straight line down.

Yeap remember that. It's kind of hilarious in a way, the man is literally manipulating markets on the fly and there's nothing we can do. JPow doesn't work for us! It's a succinct time for some Blooming truth.

Interesting infographics for Apple, Tesla from…

Please comment / notice Cost of Revenue and

View attachment 870417

View attachment 870418
Maybe obvious to others, but I am dumbfounded that Apple makes almost half the revenue selling only iPads that Tesla does selling all 4 models of their cars!🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: carterm2

IMHO, most logical move would be for Tesla Berlin to produce the next Model 3 version, call it M3g (Model 3 Gruneheide) - it would have the same basic elements of the Model 3 but would be the new version with Gigacastings from the Model Y, and new skin/ assembly. Slightly reduced size to accommodate European roads. Possibly with 4680's structural battery packs too if 4680's are ramping better than expected.

Once it is operational, with all the kinks resolved, GigaTexas would start the new Model 3a (Model 3 Austin) with standard US size. That would free Fremont for a revamp, maybe a new Model S also with GigaCastings and improved 2170's (the 4680's are not as efficient at heat dissipation/ large power surges)

BREAKING - BREAKING - BREAKING - BREAKING

Today seen in Bali - first example of a Tesla working at a significantly higher voltage.
Results of this Tesla are really shocking.
Battery type still a secret, most likely Chinese, we will have to wait for a reveal by Munro.
Apparently wrapped versions available straight from the factory.
Have no doubts my fellow investors, Tesla is still no. 1, it clearly says so!

2BA8A45E-ED81-4AB2-A73B-CEA8A45ADFE5_1_102_o.jpeg

Last edited:
What I am seeing today in some disbelief is this administration’s own Fed Chair giving all his support to mobilizing a Red Wave of voters that care more about their jobs and savings than they care about pronouns while the Dems are at the other end of the hall throwing everything they can think of to stop it. Literally their own appointee is sinking all of their midterm hopes with every sentence he mutters. Thus I am interested in TMC’s opinions whether today’s Fed move has a deeper implication that justifies the old saying that Wall Street is happiest when there is no overwhelming majority control of DC so they can make money while we are all seeing gridlock and a justification for no ability to change?
Seems to me that the FED is doing everything to destroy the labour market, while the administration is harping-on about full-employment, seems quite a disconnect - although to be fair, the FED should not, in theory, be influenced by politicians...

That being said, if the previous president was still here, we would not be following this same path, I'm pretty sure of that. Which also makes me wonder, if the GOP win big in the mid-terms, will it cause a change in market sentiment, any thoughts on that?

Right now no, for 2030? And wanting 1/4 of the whole car maket? who knows.

He's busy trying to piss off as many people as possible.

oh my mistake I forgot only positive news/views in here is allowed.
Disagree with this - once upon a time, the far-right nutters were attacking Elon for being a tree-hugger, now the loony-left are attacking him for being a billionaire and daring to allow people to say things they don't agree with

The vast majority of folks are not extreme in their politics and couldn't care less, or like myself, are entertained

IMHO, most logical move would be for Tesla Berlin to produce the next Model 3 version, call it M3g (Model 3 Gruneheide) - it would have the same basic elements of the Model 3 but would be the new version with Gigacastings from the Model Y, and new skin/ assembly. Slightly reduced size to accommodate European roads. Possibly with 4680's structural battery packs too if 4680's are ramping better than expected.

Once it is operational, with all the kinks resolved, GigaTexas would start the new Model 3a (Model 3 Austin) with standard US size. That would free Fremont for a revamp, maybe a new Model S also with GigaCastings and improved 2170's (the 4680's are not as efficient at heat dissipation/ large power surges)
No, Europe doesn't want another sedan, Europe likes hatch-backs, we need a mini-Y

We’ve had historically low interest rates for more than a decade, but this period of historically high inflation only started in the last year or so. Now we’re on the tail end (hopefully) of a world-wide pandemic where governments responded by printing massive amounts of money to stimulate the economy and avoid a recession, but now we’re raising rates to bring down inflation even if it causes a recession. What? I’m so confused. I find it much easier and more enjoyable to focus on SpaceX’s and Tesla’s execution and watch in amazement at what they accomplish. These are exciting times!