Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would a sudden surge in demand for goods as the Chinese economy switches back into high gear be good for inflation? Theoretically a few months down the road things might be better because they would be exporting at full speed again, but as they switch back on their appetite for gas and raw materials will rocket which typically causes prices for those thing to go up.
Because of its tightly managed economy, inflation rarely exceeds 2% in China. This indicates to me that the domestic demand for goods and services doesn't exceed supply by very much. Will that change now? Also, if China begins exporting large quantities of goods wouldn't that drive prices down worldwide?

Anyone care to explain all this to me, as I am confused as to how China "opening up" will increase inflation in the US

Because of its tightly managed economy, inflation rarely exceeds 2% in China. This indicates to me that the domestic demand for goods and services doesn't exceed supply by very much. Will that change now? Also, if China begins exporting large quantities of goods wouldn't that drive prices down worldwide?

Anyone care to explain all this to me, as I am confused as to how China "opening up" will increase inflation in the US
Gas prices in China are currently as inflated in China as they are everywhere else. If the demand for gas goes up without the supply increasing the price goes up.

Energy underpins inflation for most things. Gas prices up go up, so do feed prices, so do food prices.

Chinas is not nearly as tightly controlled of an economy as you are suggesting.

Correct. Up until AI day, no bot had ever walked via AI NN. BD (owned by Hyundai) does it via direct heuristic coding, and I'm sure a few other tricks, but they've recently started hiring AI folks...in August!

Let me see... if I was a young engineer specializing in AI, where would I want to work?

It would have to be BD/Hyundai, since Tesla doesn't have any women in their recruiting video!

/s... really/s...

Last edited:
Wow. Just wow.

This confirms how much understanding 99.99% of people have. Wow.

That's normal though. People also think that Bezos also "goes to space" so SpaceX has done nothing better.
Same with FSD. Friend says “Wow, I didn’t know we were so far along… everyone else is gonna have this soon.” :oops:

Even cars without FSD can be used to collect edge case data so I don't think the decision to do wide release would be driven by the need for more data.

The "march of nines" simply refers to the perfecting FSD so it only screws up once in a great while. And, yes, that is generally thought of as solving edge cases. My concern is that these edge cases are so varied that the current system doesn't have the resources to accommodate them all. Because there are a lot of them. If I'm right, and I hope I'm not, FSD (with current hardware and techniques) will continue to improve towards a plateau that is just below what is necessary for it to reliably drive without supervision.

Previously I thought as long as the system was statistically safer than the average human driver, say twice as safe, then it would be criminal to not approve and implement it. But I hadn't really considered there was a third option, allowing it be used only with human supervision (as is currently the case for those with FSD). If FSD alone is twice as safe as a human driver alone, then FSD with human oversight might be 3X-4X safer than a human alone (and 1.5X-2X safer than FSD alone). That is a powerful incentive to not approve it for fully autonomous operation (because we now have an even safer option). I had failed to consider this conundrum previously.

To explain this more fully, I've long held that FSD will still have accidents, but they will be fewer, and on-point here, they will be different types of accidents than humans have (most of the time). That is to say, FSD will prevent most accidents human have because those accidents are concentrated around not paying attention at key moments. But FSD will fail in odd situations, maybe due to a "glitch" in the system (for lack of a better word) that will cause an accident in a situation that would be unlikely with a human. Thus, human oversight can make the system safer yet. And I think auto accidents are common enough and the results of accidents are serious enough, that it makes sense to keep the system as safe as possible before the requirement of human oversight is lifted. In other words, I don't think the requirement of human oversight can be lifted until human oversight cannot prevent a significant number of accidents from happening. This is a big change compared to how I previously viewed the ethics involved. Which was, as long as it was definitely safer than a human alone, it would be criminal to not approve it.

Tesla's own FSD system with human oversight is competing directly for safety with Tesla's FSD system without human oversight. And I think that might explain why Tesla raised the price of FSD so high before it has that high of a value. This positions FSD as something that will not be used by a large percent of automobiles unless it can be used fully autonomously which bolsters the argument of approving it sooner with no human oversight because it's safer than the current status of mostly 100% human only drivers.

On the other hand, if unsupervised FSD can be 10X as safe as a human driver alone, then these arguments largely dissolve (because the accident rate becomes so low that it's no longer logical to require supervision.).

The significance of this conundrum is lessened if the "march of nines" happens quickly via exponential improvements in FSD, and this significance increases if improvements flatten out. However, my impression is that experts in the field like Musk and Karpathy have always expected improvements to flatten as the system approaches autonomy, hence the "march of nines". Regardless of how it plays out, it's exciting to watch, and I do not lack lottery tickets in case things happen sooner than I expect!
OT, I’m in 100% agreement that some FSD accidents will be unique and seemingly avoidable.
However, “Human oversight… safer.” But not when humans interfere poorly and cause an accident. We could be very close to that point where the data may suggest that no controls are safest.

Last edited:
... my impression is that experts in the field like Musk and Karpathy have always expected improvements to flatten as the system approaches autonomy, hence the "march of nines".

I don't think so. @Discoducky explained that Tesla is using neural nets in layers that feed into each other (like the human brain does). When Tesla adds (if they haven't already) a neural net that designs/optimizes the layers, FSD will reach the "singularity" point where the intelligent machine starts designing itself, and the nines will come faster, not slower.

Also, Dojo is not fully operational yet, and version 4 of the in-car supercomputer is reportedly coming soon. These new hardwares will accelerate progress in the software.

Finally, My NOT A CONTRIBUTION for Q4

Penny Picker In Da Hous ;) IMG_0992.jpeg

Loved it. Yoke felt so normal. Now need to get some miles so I can request some FSD Beta cred ;)

+1 yr free premium connectivity, so definitely TSLA gonna have another revenue stream via internet. Also, need to look at Tesla Insurance ..

Last edited:
For those that want to determine the appeal of the Semi in Europe, this YouTube movie discusses why US and EU trucks are so different.

Perhaps Tesla will make a version specifically for Europe too.
Very informative video, thanks for posting it! Some of those livable cabs were stunning! Kinda looks like Tesla designed the Semi with both markets in mind. I can't wait to see more Tesla and aftermarket innovations for the Semi.

The future's so bright, I'm glad I have a sugarful of shades!

IIRC, we saw women from Optimus team present at AI day #2? Statistically, for every 7 men you should see 1 woman. I agree that having zero in their recruiting videos might give the wrong impression and is potentially a missed opportunity to appeal to about 15% of the potential workforce. Hopefully the top talent in the field, regardless of gender, is attracted to Tesla because of the appeal of the mission...
First, your math is wrong. That should be six men to one woman. But it's also irrelevant. Those numbers are for "engineers", while the real pool of talent for Tesla is, I would guess, the top 10% of hardcore engineers. And that gets reduced too because it's really only those engineers who are willing to work arbitrary hours.

And, of course, for that team it's mostly mechanical engineers, and there might be a different demographic.

Anyway, I'm disappointed to see no women there.

First, your math is wrong. That should be six men to one woman. But it's also irrelevant. Those numbers are for "engineers", while the real pool of talent for Tesla is, I would guess, the top 10% of hardcore engineers. And that gets reduced too because it's really only those engineers who are willing to work arbitrary hours.

And, of course, for that team it's mostly mechanical engineers, and there might be a different demographic.

Anyway, I'm disappointed to see no women there.
TLDR,
Need more femcels

This is a serious question. If anyone has any tips on how to get their spouse or significant other to stop hating on Elon and Tesla please share. When we first got married I owned a Red 911. My wife called it a p**is car. (Think a phallic shape) She hated it so I sold it.
I figured she would be on board with an EV because she cares about the environment. However, the day I brought it home she wouldn't even look at it more than once. She has been in it twice now to drive her to get a recall fixed on her minivan and once when she and her friend had a few too many and they needed a ride home. This is 2 rides in 14 months. My best guess is any friends or family that come over want to see it, go for a ride, and then ask me a million questions about it within earshot of her. She doesn't like the attention it brings. They all, including her best friend love it. Is there anything I can do to change this Tesla and Elon hating around? I guarantee if I sold it today she would start being nicer again. Btw, I am not selling it or my TSLA stock no matter what.
Serious reply:

Perhaps you misinterpreted the “p*nis car” comment about your 911. Nice, expensive cars are regarded by a fairly large portion of people as chick magnets, and it seems like an established fact that plenty of people (presumably including plenty of women) like going for rides with you in your car.

That to me I am guessing is the reason she doesn’t like your car. I would suggest stop taking women for rides in your car. maybe tell your wife to take them.

other potential issue: Is this solely your car? In that you don’t let your wife drive it? And she only gets to drive her crappy minivan while you drive a $120k super car?

Last edited:
You realize P/E could stagnate in the 60’s and TSLA would still be back in the 300’s after Q4 earnings right? That’s what 450k deliveries in Q4 would do to earnings.

There should be a rule here that if you state you think P/E will stagnate or compress further, that you list A) what you think the P/E will go down to and B) the time frame for which you think the P/E will be compressed and C) how that would translate to share price when factoring in earnings over that timeframe.

Otherwise, it’s a post without merit and any practical information. There’s been plenty of post here that state they’re worried about further P/E compression or stagnation for the next couple of years…..which would translate to a TTM P/E in the teens.

And my response to that is a big old 🙄
The market is often irrational. No reason whatsoever why TSLA P/E can’t drop to 30x or below, even while maintaining high earnings growth. Markets deeply oversell equities often, especially in times of economic uncertainty, and especially for companies where there is a wide range of opinions on future growth rates.

Edit to add: Not a prediction (I’m loaded up with LEAPs hoping for the opposite in fact). Just pointing out the obvious fact that there are no fundamental laws for what stock price valuation multiples have to adhere to.

Last edited:
Making the safe assumption that Republicans wanted to remove the EV subsidies in the IRA do they have to get past a Biden veto? What is the overall durability of these provisions in a 1 or 2 chamber republican congress?

biggest threat would maybe be the impending debt ceiling negotiations, especially if republicans do end up taking at least one of the chambers, which seems likely.

democrats do have the option of passing a debt ceiling increase in the lame duck period though, which eliminates the near term risk one would think.

IIRC, we saw women from Optimus team present at AI day #2? Statistically, for every 7 men you should see 1 woman. I agree that having zero in their recruiting videos might give the wrong impression and is potentially a missed opportunity to appeal to about 15% of the potential workforce. Hopefully the top talent in the field, regardless of gender, is attracted to Tesla because of the appeal of the mission...
That’s not how an educated, confident woman thinks. As in, she doesn’t see a video like this and think, ‘ah, no women thus I must avoid that company’. Indeed, she doesn’t even notice it was all men in the video, she just thinks ‘I can do/want that job.’ A woman who does think like you suggest isn’t one you want on the team anyway. No matter how smart she is, she’s going to create problems within a male dominated team/environment.

The market is often irrational. No reason whatsoever why TSLA P/E can’t drop to 30x or below, even while maintaining high earnings growth. Markets deeply oversell equities often, especially in times of economic uncertainty, and especially for companies where there is a wide range of opinions on future growth rates.

🤯🔫

Why would you be surprised by a lack of women working at Tesla? Everyone knows that, according to a person familiar with the matter, Tesla is a highly sexist place to work. 😆
Tesla's 2021 Impact Report is very transparent about the quantitative measure of women and minorities in their workforce.
See the tables and commentary on pages 36, 37, and 38.

The p. 36 table gives raw percentage numbers by job category company-wide. The lowest percentages are for women in the job functions "laborers", "craft workers", and "technicians", but not necessarily software/hardware engineers.

P. 37 compares with other "tech companies" where female employment looks subpar by contrast, but the p. 38 chart compares
against other auto companies where the disparity is not bad.

Notwithstanding, Tesla acknowledges it could do better, via programs like:

"We are working to increase gender representation throughout the company by supporting women-focused organizations
and conferences like Society of Women Engineers, Latinas In Tech, TechUp For Women, Silicon Valley Forum, Women
Technology Festival, Women in Technology International and Women in Manufacturing."

Although some here comment about representation on the factory floor and others address only AI knowledge workers
in the Optimus group, it is clear that not only Mars needs women, but Tesla admits it in a pro-active way.

Probably just a coincidence, but China allowed the Pfizer/Biontech COVID vaccine for expats after lobbying last week: