Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL-DR; Probably better in the FSD thread, but hey, it is the weekend! It is happening faster than I think most realize, but I think you have a good grasp on the challenges at hand. And I realize Tesla has hit some local maxima in the past and had to re-architect, but this time, it seems apparent that their approach has no fundamental flaws and they've exposed nearly the entire process. And the more I typed below, the more questions might come up, so happy to respond if ping'd in the FSD thread...

To address your points:

I think a practical ramification would be that it demonstrates safety is higher with FSD being enabled and thus those with it are inherently safer on the road with it on vs off. And being able to recognize revenue as well.

The method of releasing beta first to a small subset of objectionably measured extraordinarily safe drivers I thought was brilliant. Demonstrate >10x safety statistically, then expand and repeat. At wide release, all the eyes of the world will be descending on the data, even more so than it is now. This is great and good as the data will demonstrate >10x safety. Possibly even much higher like >100x based on what I'm calculating.

For wide release, I would think that they would have objective and subjective key metrics by which they have determined would be a minimum level of practical usefulness and safety in order to release it wide. I'd imagine that one would be what percentage of miles driven is with FSD on vs off. I use it basically all the time, but until it gets smoother with near zero unnatural slowdowns, my wife won't use it. This is why I say that wide release is imminent as they are targeting and have largely solved these top objective and subjective issues with the current 10.69.3

With 10.69.2.4 there are still legitimate safety issues. I have two that are recurring on my normal routes (a UPL without a creep wall and several multi-lane roundabouts) but that is entirety of where it fails for critical safety.

Do they need to solve these prior to wide release? No, as FSD will still have "beta" in its name.
Does it need to demonstrate objective >10x safety? I think they are targeting this.
Do they need the majority of people to use for a majority of their miles? Totally, because that is the key to getting more useful data.
Do they have a way to consume the vast amounts of data that will be produced? That is what the 'human-out-of-the-loop-auto-labeller' and Dojo is for. Obviously, they can do that with their GPU clusters in the meantime, just in slower iterative steps.
Is it possible they could hit a "local max" (aka technological wall as you put it)? Sure, but that is highly unlikely at this point and it seems 10.69.3 is a test of that. This build seems like the first real step towards a wide release candidate. The items in the release notes suggest they are polishing out as much as they can to output a very stable release.

The other thing that I want to address for folks is this idea that the build is going to get exponentially better. For me, it has, however, this is most likely vastly different as a subjective discernment for everybody. Normal human opinion is great, and valued, as well as the objective measures. Objectively we can measure it simply as (FYI, these are my actual numbers):
1. What % of the time is AP used on highway? >90% (meets criteria for wide release)
2. What % of the time is FSD used for straight surface streets? >70% (needs to be >90%)
3. What are the top issues holding back the biggest gains for surface streets?
  • 40% of all interventions are due to unnecessary slowdowns
  • 30% are due to short duration lane change or missed turn due to wrong lane
  • 20% are due to the high jerk rate in steering wheel and throttle
  • 10% are due to construction/school zones and roundabouts
  • 10% other
Then you can more accurately guess: What *would* be the % used if the top three issues are addressed? >90% (thus meeting the criteria for wide release)

So, practically, you'd start looking at ways to address these and I think they have done that with this build.

Assuming they achieve wide release, then what is next? This is then the true march of 9's.

My worries are that when their current implementation of the lane connectivity graph is applied, that is it not able to achieve a 99.99999% success rate overtime (where overtime could be a year) and the neural planner on top of that is also not able to achieve a 99.99999% success rate. These stacked tolerances are key to fully human unsupervised driving. The reason I see it succeeding is that they are not only optimizing the NNs, but are adding new ones to essentially supervise other NNs. While this might be considered a 'crutch', this is a faster way to get to a full solution as one NN might be able to achieve some aspects of driving to an exceptional high degree, while others it might not be as good at. Now take that output and apply it as input to another NN that *CAN* achieve high levels of success. This is why they have a 3d occupancy NN and then it's output is an input to the occupancy flow NN and then outputting to an object detection NN which has outputs for vectors of those objects, which is then used for the neural planner and then for control. All of these have tolerances or limits on their accuracy, precision and recall. Stack them all together and it becomes much less. But if you can have a layer supervise another, correct those issues, before they are pushed to another (aka two layer model) then you start to reap benefits of one layer without consuming the entirety of its weaknesses.

And to close out, this is why I'm most convinced they have the right architecture which is the the lane connectivity graph. When this outputs *about* where the destination is located (which is beyond the current perspective of the real-time camera system), the neural planner can essentially *always* start you about in the right direction. This might sound simple and obvious, but to create this lane connectivity graph was seemingly profoundly difficult and complex. Have you noticed how on AI day they used satellite photos of intersections to demonstrate how they build the topology? Obviously, they can't use satellite images as they become stale immediately and thus could not be used. They must be harvesting data from the fleet they know has a certain age (freshness) and then building out their understanding of the intersection from those images (not necessarily NeRFs, but enough to build the topology), guiding the car with that learning and at some point this information goes stale and has to be refreshed via the same or similar process. It is this process which will enable the foundation of self driving, being able to graph the possible destination options and then predicting which one is best and being right 99.99999% of the time.
So will the next Gigafactory just be to house the server farm required for the march of the nines?

/s

The margins on gas are microscopic for end retailers and are often chewed up by bank fees.

Larger stores like QT or Buc-ee’s rely on volume somewhat but the c-store is still the big get.
Yep, that's how it's been for a long time and I'm pretty sure I addressed that in my post. If you know anyone in the gas station business, and they're willing to be candid with you, ask them. This is something you won't read about in many or possibly any news articles. Reality doesn't need to go through a media filter for it to be real.

Yep, that's how it's been for a long time and I'm pretty sure I addressed that in my post. If you know anyone in the gas station business, and they're willing to be candid with you, ask them. This is something you won't read about in many or possibly any news articles. Reality doesn't need to go through a media filter for it to be real.
I’ll look into it.

Reactions: Tommy O
Tesla can capture some of that 7500 dollar tax credit by stripping out AP as standard on the LR. People will have to upgrade to it after the fact and given that the price is much cheaper post tax credit, many will jump onboard for standard AP, EAP, or full blown FSD since it'll be wide release.

Not seeing how you're getting the math there to have them capture anything?

Basic AP was a 2-3k option during the really short time it even WAS an option.

If they captured -zero- of the credit they'd need to still cut the LR price down to $53,790 plus destination as noted earlier... from the ~58k it was before it was pulled from website.

So even if we could pretend basic AP could be removed and then anybody would pay $4210 for it-- that captures zero of the credit. It just gets Tesla the same net $ they got with the original 58k price.

Now I COULD see how they maybe do that plus go the SR route and put things like heated seats and such behind a paywall just to get down to the $53,790 plus destination.

In which case Tesla still doesn't capture any of the tax credit- but they do pull a massive demand lever because they'll have effectively trimmed almost $12,000 off the price of the vehicle.

Now, there's another problem here though.... the SR/RWD is 47k right now. And with Chinese LFPs can't get the $7500. Who is buying that at 47k when the LR AWD is now effectively $46,290?

Not seeing how you're getting the math there to have them capture anything?

Basic AP was a 2-3k option during the really short time it even WAS an option.

If they captured -zero- of the credit they'd need to still cut the LR price down to $53,790 plus destination as noted earlier... from the ~58k it was before it was pulled from website.

So even if we could pretend basic AP could be removed and then anybody would pay $4210 for it-- that captures zero of the credit. It just gets Tesla the same net $ they got with the original 58k price.

Now I COULD see how they maybe do that plus go the SR route and put things like heated seats and such behind a paywall just to get down to the $53,790 plus destination.

In which case Tesla still doesn't capture any of the tax credit- but they do pull a massive demand lever because they'll have effectively trimmed almost $12,000 off the price of the vehicle.

Now, there's another problem here though.... the SR/RWD is 47k right now. And with Chinese LFPs can't get the $7500. Who is buying that at 47k when the LR AWD is now effectively $46,290?
Bring back the LR RWD. 😁

Bring back the LR RWD. 😁

Sure... but priced where?

The SR is too high to leave room for Tesla to sell a 50-55k car that gets a $7500 tax credit that the SR does not unless they want to gut SR sales.

I'm sure the eventual plan is SRs with LFPs made domestically, but last I saw we were 3-4 years away from that factory being built and in production?

The Y is in a lot better shape here- with not just a much higher cap for tax credits, but the fact they don't sell an SR at all in the US.

Sure... but priced where?

The SR is too high to leave room for Tesla to sell a 50-55k car that gets a $7500 tax credit that the SR does not unless they want to gut SR sales.

I'm sure the eventual plan is SRs with LFPs made domestically, but last I saw we were 3-4 years away from that factory being built and in production?

The Y is in a lot better shape here- with not just a much higher cap for tax credits, but the fact they don't sell an SR at all in the US.
LR RWD is the new SR priced at 52999 with no AP, AWD priced at 54999 with no AP. SR LFP goes to Canada, while the other LFP batteries goes into megapacks.

Mentioning here the Elon/Twitter post I just penned. Because I believe it is *very* relevant to Tesla FSD, far more than people realize.

TL;DR: the algos Elon's team are putting in place at Twitter are setting up the same Neural Network algo technology that will be added to FSD. Currently FSD only depends on *vision*. The text algo addition will enable FSD to take into account textual news about local conditions. See the link for details if interested, and correct me if you think I'm wrong!

Even cars without FSD can be used to collect edge case data so I don't think the decision to do wide release would be driven by the need for more data.

Not yet! That is the whole purpose of "single stack": integrating the Tesla fleet for data colection purposes. I think basic autopilot will be transitioned to the "FSD Beta" stack very soon after the wide release of Beta.

So I think the wide release of Beta is in the critical path to "single stack". Then, every Tesla with FSD hdw will be collecting data to support the "March of 9's". That's already millions of cars on the road. I hope DOJO is ready... ;)

Cheers!

Today in the «competition is coming»: VW id.buzz.
I’ve long been a sucker for the old hippie vw buses, so since 2004 I’ve been anticipating the new bus. And this weekend I got the opportunity to take it for a test drive. I’ve been thinking it would be a great car for active families.
08DE603C-A2F4-4000-8AD6-3FAB3AB91616.png

Positives: It’s a fun ride! Snappy, surprisingly responsive, good view from driver seat, eye candy interior, and partly nice on the outside even though I really think the designers should have had the courage to keep more of the retro elements.

34076955-630A-46F5-991E-6DE7042BC4D5.jpg

Then, for the rest of it… the battery is 77 kwh and I had it using about 280 wh/km so we’re in the 320 km range. The infotainment system… well no surprises there… it’s unintuitive and horrible, imo.

Finally for the active families part… it’s surprisingly small inside compared to it’s big exterior. Pillars are like 20 cm/7 in wide (or more?) so walls take up lot of space. Maybe collision safety is very high?

EAFE683A-63F5-43D3-AB21-D6AD753DB647.png

There is no room under the back seats so there is no way to fit skis or bikes inside the trunk. You can have a roof rack, but then you might as well have another type of car.

I can fit a Model S in my garage, but this one, not. Too high. For me, the id.buzz won’t add any value compared to the Model Y I have reserved.

Still, I think VW will sell all of these that they make, to those who are loyal to VW and have anticipated the new bus, afaik the production volume for 2023 is 120k.

Next year, the slightly longer 6- and 7-seater will be open for order. Maybe my skis will fit in that one? 😅

Cheers to the longs!

Attachments

• 5F268488-7263-4A2B-A3A1-96DCB1D11250.jpg
    5F268488-7263-4A2B-A3A1-96DCB1D11250.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 93
The human knee has a screw home mecanism where the tibia goes in external rotation compared to the femoral condyles. The geometry of the tibial plateau makes it easier and effortless to stay standing with a locked knees in full extension.

When running you never go into full extension because you need your knee to using biarticular muscles like the hamstrings and the gastrocnemius to bounce and recoil 17% if the energy stored in the buarticular tendon collagen for more effective bouncing while running.

Optimus will never have a normal gait if they don’t force it to walk like a human being. If they use actuation motors in the joints there is no reason to reproduce a screw home mechanism as the motors just lock the joint in the desired position without having a muscle or tendon to fatigue to keep a joint in a desired position from a prolonged period of time.

This was also a publication I have made and presented on during my masters degree in training so I had to share that useless knowledge I have not used for over a decade.

Thank you for listening to me ;)
That was so damn cool! Thank you OrthoSurg.🙏

Some one should start a channel that summarizes the other channels;)
Let me go ahead and cook that right up for you:

James: Using photonic controller bias leads to projectile mass vector triangulation processing, which, if I had to explain it to my mom, would be like saying the butter is spread more thinly on the sandwich.
Dave: Interesting, what about PB&J?

Facebook PE is under 9. Did anyone predict that 3 years ago? Anything can happen as long as the fed is tightening.

Facebook has declining revenue and rapidly expanding costs.

If you take Facebook’s guidance for spending next year and they keep having declining or flat revenue they will *lose* money… that’s why the stock price is so low.

Pretty much all of the tech mega caps are post growth.

Facebook has declining revenue and rapidly expanding costs.

If you take Facebook’s guidance for spending next year and they keep having declining or flat revenue they will *lose* money… that’s why the stock price is so low.

Pretty much all of the tech mega caps are post growth.
META is a special case, as in ‘special need’. See, when Elon has an idea for a new venture, he builds a new company, pitches his idea and attracts new capital. Apparently Zuckerberg is too much of a pussy to do that so he bet his entire company and every existing shareholder’s money on metaverse. Had FB remained FB it would be worth as least twice what it is now. Sad.

LR RWD is the new SR priced at 52999 with no AP, AWD priced at 54999 with no AP.

So this (for AWD anyway) does not, as you previously suggested, let Tesla capture any of the $7500 rebate... since they're actually capturing 3k less per car in exchange for removing AP... so break even at best for Tesla- though certainly demand would spike. (and as noted your pricing is still too high because destination of $1200 per car is included in MSRP, so it'd have to be $53,800 for LR AWD and $51,800 for LR RWD if you want to keep the 2k gap between em.

For the RWD I'm unsure how many buyers you get for it saving only 2k over AWD... and you'd get 0 buyers for the SR if the LR RWD is now a ton cheaper after rebate....(though you seem to think you can solve that second bit by just not selling it anymore in the US, more on that below--- anyway that might at least be a capture of a little bit of the rebate on the LR RWD (depending on the actual cost-to-tesla difference between an SR and an LR RWD) but I remain dubious you sell a huge amount with that small a gap up to the AWD.

SR LFP goes to Canada, while the other LFP batteries goes into megapacks.

You think Canada alone has enough demand for RWD SR vehicles for that to make any sense? I'm not sure coldest part of NA, where there's snow a fair bit, with barely more than 1/10th the population of the US, is the ideal market for that car.... unless your thinking is they'll be fine selling far less SRs in general and just diverting everything else to megapacks.

Reactions: skybluecgreen