Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny you should ask...
The cultural shift over crying The cultural shift over crying
CA94E699-BF3B-4B4A-94E5-E0592DC7CDFF.gif

Overall, it seems to me that most of the guys who could make millions of EV's are not - not because they cannot, but because they are losing money on every one. Oversimplification (battery supplies, etc. being ignored here) but I think a somewhat compelling argument? Discussion welcome...
What's the difference between not being able to make millions of EV's and losing money on every one?

They are one and the same, because no car company can afford to make cars in high volume when everyone causes a substantial loss. Even Tesla was making cars in very low numbers when they were not at or very close to break-even.

Furthermore, if you ramp a car to high volume that there is not huge demand for simply because you think you might be close to breakeven, not only do you steal sales from your profitable vehicles, you run a high risk of having to heavily discount them to move them. The manufacture of cars is not like a spigot where you can just turn it off when demand is met, you have to plan on the volume you will make many months in advance.

That's just one more huge advantage Tesla has with their pricing power. If they ramp volumes too high for market conditions, they can discount them quite heavily and still remain quite profitable while selling every car they make. It really de-risks the business going forward to have such high margins.

Has anyone got any clue what is going on? We went from $300 to $200 in a matter of three months. Is it all because of Twitter? If so, are we going to $100 from here, as the whole Twitter saga is not over.

A couple of posts ago I mentioned that I had to sell because of some big item purchases I made. That was when stock was trading in the $250 range. I kept hanging on as to “how low can it go?”. I now have to sell some this week, some at the end of the month and the rest end of December. If it really goes much lower than I will have to cash out my whole portfolio?! How low will it go??

This is one big lesson learned. If you use stock to purchase something - even if you need to pay like nine months later - cash it right away and leave it on a savings account. I never expected this to happen…

I thought this open letter from Boomer Mama was worth sharing. I agree with the sentiment. Feels like nothing helps the SP right now; but I think investors would generally welcome a PR type department.

Edited for vulgar autocorrect spelling mistake.

Last edited:
Has anyone got any clue what is going on? We went from $300 to $200 in a matter of three months. Is it all because of Twitter? If so, are we going to $100 from here, as the whole Twitter saga is not over.

A couple of posts ago I mentioned that I had to sell because of some big item purchases I made. That was when stock was trading in the $250 range. I kept hanging on as to “how low can it go?”. I now have to sell some this week, some at the end of the month and the rest end of December. If it really goes much lower than I will have to cash out my whole portfolio?! How low will it go??

This is one big lesson learned. If you use stock to purchase something - even if you need to pay like nine months later - cash it right away and leave it on a savings account. I never expected this to happen…
Probably following beta as Tsla lost all its over performance and now we are sitting at performance

Tesla's beta to the qqq is about 1.5. QQQ is down 34.4% from peak, X 1.5= 51.6% and we are sitting at 51.6% down

Yes

Elon doesn't owe us anything. I complain some because I disagree with some of what he says but that doesn't mean I have any right to tell him how to spend his money or his time.

I care more about the mission than I do the stock price, and I'm NOT retired like many here. I would like to become wealthy from the stock, but greed should be kept in check. The mission is more important.