Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure why this latest downturn has me feeling so grumpy.
I have been invested in Tesla since 2017 and seen some ups and downs.

I know Tesla will be fine...but this one has me feeling.....

Because all the indices are deep green and bouncing back while we are in a free fall going to test $186.50 whatever happens in the world. This is the feeling you get when you are disconnected from reality. Schizophrenic stock behaviour.

If you are saying demand for EVs will grow faster than Tesla can increase production I agree.

I also agree that most carmakers will struggle to increase EV production at a rate that matches Tesla and all will struggle to match margins.

IMO this translates to competition in 2030-2035 rather than never having any competition.

But by 2035 the world is a different place, I expect FSD and Optimus to be working and for Tesla energy to be a much bigger business.
By 2028 there will be 20+ battery factories in the USA going that are the size of Reno. A couple will help feed Tesla. Most will feed competitors. I've lost count of all, was keeping track. There will be an explosion of capacity and competition and as Ford has shown Tesla is failing to meet demand and even the oldest OEM can exploit a gap in the market. My newly ordered Ford Lightning is just a simple work truck, all I wanted. Wish it had been a CT but could not wait 2 more years. It's actually a great design- easy to clean, roomy inside, space is fine. It's just not stainless steel. I wish it had a larger battery but that's about the only thing missing. Ok, take that back. Wish it had super charger network but I can even live without that.

Last edited:
How does taking Tesla engineers away from their important work and having review code at Twitter further the mission?

If Elon succeeds in transforming Twitter into what he envisions--an antidote to disinformation about Tesla and everything else--it will further the mission. It will be better than a Tesla PR department because it will be self-funding and more effective.

Edit: Brother @JRP3 laughed at me, so maybe "antidote" is too strong a word. Call it a counterforce. Approximately 450 million monthly active users seems like a good start to me.

Last edited:
Has anyone got any clue what is going on? We went from $300 to $200 in a matter of three months. Is it all because of Twitter? If so, are we going to $100 from here, as the whole Twitter saga is not over.

A couple of posts ago I mentioned that I had to sell because of some big item purchases I made. That was when stock was trading in the $250 range. I kept hanging on as to “how low can it go?”. I now have to sell some this week, some at the end of the month and the rest end of December. If it really goes much lower than I will have to cash out my whole portfolio?! How low will it go??

This is one big lesson learned. If you use stock to purchase something - even if you need to pay like nine months later - cash it right away and leave it on a savings account. I never expected this to happen…

I still have 30 years to work ahead of me so seeing my portfolio collapse is not stressful because am working like never and am growing my work generated revenues however I understand the pain people who have retired and are 100% invested in TSLA suffer. I have learned a valuable lesson to deleverage and cash out a significant portion of the money needed for retirement. I will tell my grand kids with a frail voice « remember the covid tech bubble kids, when it burst we went down 90% and it took 30 years to recover the price of the shares I bought at $1250 »
Then my grand kids will remember me I have Alzheimer’s and that it took 3 years for the SP to recover and stop complaining to get attention.

I have learned a valuable lesson to deleverage and cash out a significant portion of the money needed for retirement.

I can see this being what you are comfortable in doing. I disagree that is a good idea to cash out a significant portion when retired. Well unless you don’t plan on being retired that long. However, if you plan to be retired for over 10 years it would be way better be invested in good companies that are growing earnings over those years.

I still have 30 years to work ahead of me so seeing my portfolio collapse is not stressful because am working like never and am growing my work generated revenues however I understand the pain people who have retired and are 100% invested in TSLA suffer. I have learned a valuable lesson to deleverage and cash out a significant portion of the money needed for retirement. I will tell my grand kids with a frail voice « remember the covid tech bubble kids, when it burst we went down 90% and it took 30 years to recover the price of the shares I bought at $1250 »
Then my grand kids will remember me I have Alzheimer’s and that it took 3 years for the SP to recover and stop complaining to get attention.
30 years? I think even Gordon would call you too bearish there! 🤣

How does taking Tesla engineers away from their important work and having review code at Twitter further the mission?
I agree with this point. I don't think it's right, especially if they are on Tesla's payroll while working at Twitter.

But few complained about that happening between SpaceX and Tesla, which is the same thing. We just don't like the Twitter situation

I agree with this point. I don't think it's right, especially if they are on Tesla's payroll while working at Twitter.

But few complained about that happening between SpaceX and Tesla, which is the same thing. We just don't like the Twitter situation
Actually it's not since there is some engineering crossover between SpaceX and Tesla.

By 2028 there will be 20+ battery factories in the USA going that are the size of Reno. A couple will help feed Tesla. Most will feed competitors.
That's assuming that the US domestic production provisions in FIRA aren't gutted before then. Without those requirements, foreign companies will compete and slow down investment in domestic battery production.

Actually it's not since there is some engineering crossover between SpaceX and Tesla.
To be fair we wouldn't have known that at the time. Could have definitely looked one sided to either Tesla or SpaceX shareholders.

Now, what value can Twitter give back to Tesla? I'm struggling to think of much. Perhaps just getting the stupid bird back to a steady state condition is all we can ask for as investors.

To be fair we wouldn't have known that at the time. Could have definitely looked one sided to either Tesla or SpaceX shareholders.

Now, what value can Twitter give back to Tesla? I'm struggling to think of much. Perhaps just getting the stupid bird back to a steady state condition is all we can ask for as investors.
Guess what's going to be integrated into the holiday update this year...

The value of Elon getting twitter profitable and then use that money to buy Tsla stocks..lol.

But seriously, I think Elon can make twitter profitable in a very short period of time. Out of all the projects on his hand, this seems to be super easy as it's just software with a bloated staff.

Yes

Elon doesn't owe us anything.

I mean- he literally does

The CEO had a fiduciary duty owed to shareholders to act in their best interests.

You can certainly debate if what he's doing with twitter (or has done there in the past, or will do in the future) are in the best interests of Tesla shareholders or not-- but he owes that duty to the owners of Tesla nonetheless.

This is just getting [Insert your feelings in this box]

A rumor … published by the Verge? Might as well applying meaning to a random word generator.

Skimming that Verge article reminded me of reading the crap about Tesla circa 2013. None of that came true.

It is very easy to criticize how a company is run. Especially since Elons management style is chaotic to begin with. It’s a feature, not a bug.

That's assuming that the US domestic production provisions in FIRA aren't gutted before then. Without those requirements, foreign companies will compete and slow down investment in domestic battery production.

Those were all in progress before that bill. I used to keep a spreadsheet then lost interest due to a family tragedy. It was pretty amazing to see the amount of facility planning. That's just a fraction of whats going on in China and maybe even less than in Europe.

Take Ford, 2 years ago they had no EVs. This year they sell every one they can make, which is not many. By 2026 they have enough battery capacity coming on, or contracted, for 70% of the 2 million cars/trucks goal. That would mean that in only 6 years they will have made a huge shift in production. From nothing to 2 million a year.

Very promising, Tesla has truly changed the game and some OEMs will rise to the challenge while others won't but it is clear Tesla won't be alone just a few years ahead. By 2030 Ford could be mostly an EV company with some legacy & profitable medium duty truck products. Toyota could implode due to a lack of effort. Ford was busting ass 5 years ago to get to products this year.

I mean- he literally does

The CEO had a fiduciary duty owed to shareholders to act in their best interests.

You can certainly debate if what he's doing with twitter (or has done there in the past, or will do in the future) are in the best interests of Tesla shareholders or not-- but he owes that duty to the owners of Tesla nonetheless.
This x100.

A CEO of a public company indeed has a duty to shareholders to act in the best interests of the company.

Alienating large parts of your global addressable market Is not in keeping with that duty.