Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it is not going to happen on Wednesday, regardless.

And my prediction is that in the next two years it will not happen at all.

It is not a surprise that the Repubs are most certainly going to take the house. The action today is above all a trading event. We will see what kind of legs it has.
Switch up the manufacture requirements for car and battery and axe the added revenue collecting boots on the ground. 🤝

Without IRA Tesla is stalled, all others are screwed ;)

What happens to recent EV. battery factory announcements, price hikes etc ...
But I think IRA will be safe until next Pres election cycle ..after that coal might come into fashion once again :)
Manchin and the other coal people will hopefully realize that EVs have a much higher chance of being powered by coal than oil.

And that amid no significant Tesla news, with the market averages and legacy carmakers well up. Someone appears to have diverted the media's and public's attention to matters unrelated to Tesla, yet it's TSLA stock that's driven to a 17-month low. Tesla board members really need to stamp their feet down.

Waht should they do exactly?

Not impossible.

Once the new congress sits in January (assuming GOP win at least one house) means anything that Biden wants to pass for the next two years will require horse trading with republicans. Debt ceiling extensions, emergency funding for whatever (more weapons/support to Ukraine, disaster relief, etc).

There are likely things that will happen that require federal funding that make it worth giving up or reducing in size some of the IRA components.
GOP has already said they will hold economy hostage with budget and debt limit increases to get what they want. They have specifically targeted IRA, Social Security and Medicare for drastic changes.

Everyone that is anxiously awaiting some CPI data to help convince the Fed to slow rate hikes....My highly calibrated inflation-gut-o-meter is giving me readings indicating not to get your hopes up. IMO, Everything from grocery store items, to restaurant costs, to insurance, to everything I've touched lately continues to skyrocket without slowing. I fear this won't bode well for rates and the market. I sure hope a split congress after Tuesday helps somehow. Full disclosure - This post is about as supporting data-free and subjective as they come.

GOP has already said they will hold economy hostage with budget and debt limit increases to get what they want. They have specifically targeted IRA, Social Security and Medicare for drastic changes.
Some people said it was a big win but the IRA (like it’s counterpart across the pond) is a hot smelly turd and was clearly written in haste.

The fact that the messaging had to and continues to be changed on what it’s supposed to actually do should be proof enough and while there’s efforts underway to amend it, it really just needs to be scrapped and carefully rebuilt around a single issue (which should be EV adoption)

Keep a lid on his public comments (tweeting), especially about politics. They also should have encouraged him not to comment about the need to cut Twitter staff until after the election. That riled politicians including the president. I realize that is not a Tesla matter, but well paid Tesla board members serving shareholders should feel free to advise him on outside matters that may affect the willingness of people to own Tesla shares or cars.

Seemed pretty clear.

1667858560938.gif

Glad this'll be over by eod tomorrow...hopefully. Couple of interesting tidbits about the S&P 500:

Just to stop the damn commercials! I know my blood pressure will go back to normal on Wednesday... until I look at my portfolio that is...

Ok, show me something from party sources where they are targeting ss and Medicare.

”third rail”

after you cant find party sources, show me the other sources you think you got this from

I know I've gotten everything wrong so far, but when the election overhang clears this stock is gonna moon.

More seriously, it is crystal clear Republicans would chop the EV subsidy in a heartbeat so the mechanism is unclear but the intention isn't. Since most people are about as clueless as me about precisely the odds of this it doesn't surprise me the market would wring its hands a bit. The pingponging around of huge sums of money make planning more difficult. Personally, I'd rather we lived in a world where the subsidies were kept and cut in half but I guess that simultaneously makes me a climate denier and an elite virtue signaller.

Will exit polls tomorrow include 'Elon told me to' as an explanation for their vote?

If the GOP takes the house, it will only be by a small majority and honestly there's very little they can do in the two lame duck years because of Biden's veto power. I think they're going to be consumed by investigations into the FBI and trying to impeach Biden as those are things under their control. I must admit I was worried about it as well, especially the IRA, but the more I hear about actions they could take, the less concerned I am, at least in the short term. Any legislation to radically change the IRA or the Infrastructure act will be promptly vetoed and there's no way they'll get a 2/3's vote to override it.

After 2024, all bets are off however.