Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rather than deleting this post's useless drivel, I am overwriting this to alert all that it appears there are posters here who seem incapable of following Moderators' attempts to keep this thread a useful, productive, topical site, but time and again bring into here their own - and often in the most tiresome, childishly smarmy fashion, as this one's...'thoughts'(??) on Twitter, politics, mental capacity of other posters, and more. If it doesn't stop now, consider that by posting such you are putting a full-sized BAN ME sign atop your head.

Moderators will so oblige.

Last edited by a moderator:
My portfolio down -X over last 13 months
Sweet!
Let’s take it all the way to zero
Clearly, Tesla is going bankrupt
Shorts win
🏆
(If this is not the bottom or very close to bottom then I don’t know what is, from contrarian standpoint)
I’m taking snapshots of my portfolio so I can look back in 3 years and laugh at the sheer absurdity of this sell off

Huh... Type in a search "does the Model Y" and it fills in "qualify for a tax credit?" Yikes!

When I read the links, I'm still confused. I now realize some of the credit is up for debate and was pushed out to Mar '23 for a decision. Others links say Dec 31 is the deadline for some other part.

If I'm confused, in theory others are too. Is this affecting deliveries in Q4 US? Fact is, the closer the sale to Christmas, the harder the decision because is much easier to wait just a couple more weeks or days even.

I'm actually in that boat having received all the discount notices for Q4. Our MYP is now repaired (picking it up today). So I could trade in now or ? Something tells me now is the better deal tax-wise. Assuming FSD again, the vehicle is over $80K, so any tax relief at all?

Dissonance on The Hill me thinks, stems from the fact that it helps Tesla way more than GM. What's the scoop?
Based on a literal (programmer's) reading of the bill:

Income and MSRP requirements will kick in Jan 1 regardless.
Possible futures:
IRA EV mineral and component requirements kick in Jan 1
Temporary 7,500 credit until guidance is issued (with questionable transition period)

Given the guidance comes from the Secretary of Treasury who also oversees the IRS which is the controller of taxes, they are mostly in control, unless a legal challenge is raised.
The cleanest sequence of events is for Treasury to issue its preliminary guidance at the end of this year allowing the IRA to kick in. If they don't, which would be a violation of (3)(B), then the current kWh size based 7,500 credit would continue and not the mineral and component requirements, until such time as guidance is given.

Edit, consensus seems to be that this interpretation is wrong. I hope so.

I'm guessing most of today was due to the IRA delay. My reading is that Tesla won't be eligible for any credits until March, but those companies currently eligible will continue to be eligible regardless of their foreign made batteries. Those buyers will be subject to income and price limits though.

That's really bad news for Rivian and Lucid, bad for Tesla and GM, and good news for the rest.

That means some electric vehicles that are not expected to comply with the new standards will continue to be eligible for the credits until the proposed guidance issued. Other non-battery elements of the IRA will still take effect Jan. 1, including new income caps for eligible buyers and restrictions on vehicle pricing.

For a $3,750 critical minerals credit, the law states that 40% must be extracted or processed in the U.S. or in a country where the U.S. has a free-trade agreement, or from materials that were recycled in North America.

Credit for the other $3,750 requires that at least 50% of battery components were manufactured or assembled in North America. The percentage requirements for both rise annually to reduce reliance on foreign countries.

Last edited:
My portfolio down -X over last 13 months
Sweet!
Let’s take it all the way to zero
Clearly, Tesla is going bankrupt
Shorts win
🏆
(If this is not the bottom or very close to bottom then I don’t know what is, from contrarian standpoint)
I’m taking snapshots of my portfolio so I can look back in 3 years and laugh at the sheer absurdity of this sell off
Im with you on this. Luckily im about 8 years from retirement so $TSLA should be the most valuable company by the time im ready to call it quits. I want to say we've been through these downturns before and will come back even stronger but this is the most detached from reality i have ever seen the SP.

Another day....another 5% down, thank goodness for the TMC support group :)

I am just pissed that Chicken Little was right about the $140 PT.
Yeah but he will never be a billionaire because he’s too smart for his own good
Some of us on this forum will be , those who do not lose faith and hold this thing for another 10 to 20 years
Anywhere from 11 to 17 years for me
Zero guarantees of course

Last edited:
Without Elon's "help" we would't be here. Chicken was right, but it was luck from my point of view and not foreseeable.

I agree, CGS doesn't have a crystal ball. Still, he sure is smugly proclaiming his superiority and such on social media right now. He may have gotten incredibly lucky, but he still made some very profitable decisions and I simply held on throughout the downward spiral. He gambled and won.

I'm only mad because my couches are empty and I can't buy any more than I already have. Makes me frustrated. :confused:

Positive upcoming events reminder:
1) Mexico factory confirmation
2) P&D at record levels at year end
3) Cybertruck first production early next year
4) Ramp up of Semi production early next year
5) Earnings report and call in january.

Wildcards:
1) Announcement of a totally new model (maybe Mexico built van?)
2) FSD v11 release is better than anybody expected
3) Twitter CEO announced and return to focus on TSLA
4) Share buyback

I reckon we do get mexico factory announcement this week, a twitter CEO announced after Christmas, and a share buyback january. There might be a lull during Q1 with no big news until we start to see physical evidence of cybertrucks being produced in test runs?

Everyone is of course still ignoring Tesla Energy. That cannot go on for long. I'm guessing Q2 2023 earnings will be when people spot it?

I don't think just hitting record P&D levels will be viewed as positive. Tesla will need to meet / beat analyst delivery estimates for it to be a positive.

Without Elon's "help" we would't be here. Chicken was right, but it was luck from my point of view and not foreseeable.
Chick has the degrees and work experience AND put his money where his mouth is.... Just what the hell is this "luck" thing you talk of? Explain how he was lucky??? Just be damn happy he bought back in.
EDIT: And I don't think this Twitter excuse is the reason. I side with Chick. The Twitter is at most is noise. Peon taking billions out just made it easy on the bears.

Yes I am now $5m underwater

I am trying to work out what I am missing, and I cannot come up with a good answer. The only scenario really is if everyone thinks that there is no longer a growing market for Teslas, and there is really no good evidence for that.

At $133, we will have dropped two thirds, And $400bn market cap at roughly $20bn annualized profit for Q4 = P/E of 20. Which is unheard of for a company with no debt and growing even moderately, never mind at 50%+ each year.

I am at 81,000 shares. I am making a plan now to bring this up to 100,000 within the next month if the share price doesnt recover