Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like we are setting up for a historic buying opportunity. I am really tempted to cash out my slow growing IRAs despite the tax penalty, as a better long term play with more liquidity. These bears are a getting so fat and juicy on the fear in this market. Hunting them and eating them is going to be so tasty. Just have to figure how to find the bottom or near bottom.

Seems like we are setting up for a historic buying opportunity. I am really tempted to cash out my slow growing IRAs despite the tax penalty, as a better long term play with more liquidity. These bears are a getting so fat and juicy on the fear in this market. Hunting them and eating them is going to be so tasty. Just have to figure how to find the bottom or near bottom.
the-simpsons-emotional.gif

Let’s say 2023 forward EPS is actually a lot lower. Wouldn’t Elon be in deep shiznit for selling last week, since he has possession of MNPI? How could the market/Wall Street be THIS wrong? Is it possible that retail investors are overestimating forward P/E?

I understand how options/margin calls can cause a stock to tank, but this much without a bid? Not even a tiny bounce lol? Wtf I’ve been in this stock for 5 years and never seen something like this.

Let’s say 2023 forward EPS is actually a lot lower. Wouldn’t Elon be in deep shiznit for selling, since he has possession of MNPI? How could the market/Wall Street be THIS wrong? Is it possible that retail investors are overestimating forward P/E?

I understand how options/margin calls can cause a stock to tank, but this much without a bid? Not even a tiny bounce lol? Wtf I’ve been in this stock for 5 years and never seen something like this.
Elon again? Did Elon also sell out of the rest of the market???

i am pretty happy that TSLA is sliding down the slide as fast as it possibly can. i say, sell it all to oblivion and pat yourself on the back for getting out just in time off a sinking ship.
just don't regret it in 3 years when TSLA is trading 10X current stock price or some crazy high stock price
or in 20 years when some of those who stayed the course become inconceivably filthy rich.
it's the law of averages. only a small percentage will walk the walk when rubber meets the road.
i am cool as cucumber with not a care in the world
staying superlong Tesla, no matter what for several years to few decades

Let’s say 2023 forward EPS is actually a lot lower. Wouldn’t Elon be in deep shiznit for selling, since he has possession of MNPI? How could the market/Wall Street be THIS wrong? Is it possible that retail investors are overestimating forward P/E?

I agree and would like to think he wouldn't set himself up for that kind of scrutiny, but Elon has been a bit unpredictable lately - and it wouldn't be the first time he's flirted with breaking securities laws, IIRC. (I'm thinking of his original Twitter stake earlier this year.)

Oh man, I am so sorry to hear about your situation. I’m down a bunch too, but I’ve avoided margin so have only “LOST” a small percentage permanently due to some short term options bets.

Your story does make me wonder if some of this is self induced collectively. I’ve seen so so many posts talking about people pulling money out of the couch and people using margin. As the SP plummeted, I have to wonder if it set off a chain reaction of margin calls pulling the price down over and over again as people were forced to sell at a loss. Each time Tesla hit a lower price point, more margin calls came in and more shares had to be liquidated.

I’ve seen it here with a few posters. Tesla has millions of retail investors with billions invested.
Unfortunately if you aren’t permabull, you’re a fudster or care bear and get ridiculed. I’ve also got few bans for it.

Let’s say 2023 forward EPS is actually a lot lower. Wouldn’t Elon be in deep shiznit for selling last week, since he has possession of MNPI? How could the market/Wall Street be THIS wrong? Is it possible that retail investors are overestimating forward P/E?

It sort of is in his talk track for a while now.
To a superficial observer, like most of left crowd is, this would sound like a capricious billionaire. But he has a great point of reference to the input costs of his businesses, as well as the order book, which I suspect was, like everything else, was inflated with faux reservations, locking the price, and scalping (see Tesla for Sale thread). TSLA did put a stop to it when it ceased taking reservations for certain models.
Cars have thousands of parts and are commodity-heavy. He's been sounding the alarm, based on real-time input costs data, that it is deflationary, and that is a part of frustration with the CPI/PCE that Fed is looking at, it is not real-time enough.