Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still drive a Model 3 though. Because it looks cool and is efficient and the supercharger network. Doesn't mean I like the CEO! I'm looking at others now, the MG 4 looks awesome, is a hatchback, and £26k and has a similar 53kWh LFP pack, and an almost identical range! So I think the competition is catching up with Tesla - especially the Chinese who might be over-taking the European manufacturers!
The stuff Elon's said in the last 3-6 months is probably only making a small % of people change their mind. But in the UK there's been a 9 month wait for Tesla's - so a lot of in-built demand. The used price has been above the new price even. But now there's 100s of Tesla's coming to the end of their 3 year finance deals, normally a time when people change-up. There used to be 20ish Model 3's on the "used" page, now there's 100s. Deman is slowing I think, the used price has fallen £5000 in 3 months. I was seeing my SR+ Model 3 (that I paid £39100 for) going for £49,000 2nd hand with 10k miles. Now they're about £44k.
The MG4 is a nice runabout. We looked at one. Reports so far are it's real world range is nothing like what's quoted, so it'll get nowhere close to your Tesla.

It drives OK, but doesn't compare in any way to driving a Tesla, you'll notice a massive come down from a 3. It has a p**s poor infotainment interface as well and no over the air updates.

The MG4 is a nice runabout. We looked at one. Reports so far are it's real world range is nothing like what's quoted, so it'll get nowhere close to your Tesla.

It drives OK, but doesn't compare in any way to driving a Tesla, you'll notice a massive come down from a 3. It has a p**s poor infotainment interface as well and no over the air updates.

Seems like more of "the competition is coming". Like what we see on this side of the pond - there are ALWAYS compromises (poor range, worse charging network, infotainment/buttons from the 1990s, driving experience of an Edsel).

Dec 9, 2022:
Elon Musk on Twitter: "@p_ferragu When there are macroeconomic risks, it is generally wise to avoid using margin loans on any company, as stocks may move in ways that are decoupled from their long-term potential" / Twitter

Dec 13, 2022:
Elon Musk on Twitter: "@WholeMarsBlog Tesla will be great long-term, but doesn’t control macroeconomic tides" / Twitter

Dec 13, 2022:
Elon Musk on Twitter: "@WholeMarsBlog I will make sure Tesla shareholders benefit from Twitter long-term" / Twitter

Dec 16, 2022:
Elon Musk on Twitter: "@GerberKawasaki Tesla is executing better than ever! We don’t control the Federal Reserve. That is the real problem here." / Twitter

Dec 17, 2022:
Elon Musk on Twitter: "@BrianFeroldi @GerberKawasaki I literally just finished my meeting going over Giga Texas production progress" / Twitter

Dec 21, 2022:
Elon Musk on Twitter: "I will resign as CEO as soon as I find someone foolish enough to take the job! After that, I will just run the software & servers teams." / Twitter

Dec 21, 2022:
Elon Musk on Twitter: "@28delayslater Maybe so, in which case … buying opportunity! I keep saying that Fed rate is insane, because data I’m seeing says we’re already in deflation. If true, then real rate of return of T-bills is roughly that of S&P 500. Very smart investor I spoke to today said he’s shorting S&P…" / Twitter

Dec 25, 2022:
Elon Musk on Twitter: "Merry Christmas & Good Cheer to All! " / Twitter

Yup, sounds like a tone-deaf CEO to me. /s

Seriously, Elon has spoken about the reasons for the SP drop throughout the month of December. Just because people don't like his explanation doesn't mean he doesn't hear them, it means he thinks other issues are responsible. And he has given TSLA investors sound advice on how to thrive over the long-term:
  • Don't use margin, and
  • Think long-term.
Cheers to the Longs!
Actions are louder than words. The guy talks the talk but does not walk the walk. CEO singlehandedly broke TSLA stock support levels around $200 or so with his ill-timed panic stock sales. until then TSLA was outperforming nasdaq. this fellow in 2022 is the greatest gift short sellers have.
anyway, i am done with singing his virtues. i will make money in TSLA with or without him. makes zero difference. it's too late, damage is already done. with any luck big institutional holders will force this fellow to straighten up his act and start acting like a CEO instead of posting lewd, tasteless comments like a 5th grader on social media.
TSLA can only go up in 2023

PS: To add any value to above post, for what it's worth, this is a possible scenario:
TSLA beats and delivers and stock shoots up next month, stays pretty volatile but overall makes up all lost ground and even exceeds $414 by 2024, throughout with great volatility. then sometime in 2024 or 2025 (my guess earlier than most expect, CEO panic sells in an abrupt manner billions of dollars worth of TSLA and again brings stock down 50%). Perfect! great for traders, not so great for those who were dreaming of retirement on basis of TSLA. hey, i was not one of them. i will never retire on basis of any stock because any stock can drop 50 to 90% within a few months to a year. that is basic Investing 101. if you don't know that then you have wasted your time in world of stock investing (generic "you")

Last edited:
I would like to ask that certain people please stop posting the same idea over and over that EM be either removed as CEO.....or that he has caused great harm to Tesla the company.

First IMHO you are wrong....but more importantly most of you have posted your opinion many, many times.
As has everyone who supports him without question. Will you make the same request of them?

Opinion amongst my friends in the UK is that Elon has gone off the deep end / is f*ing stupid! Many like me weren't impressed that he went after that British caver in Thailand 3 years ago! That was one of the first signs for me he was a bit unhinged. Paying a private dick $30k to shadow the guy and find out if he was a nonce! That received a lot of bad press in the UK! Even the Daily Fail in the UK doesn't think he's wonderful anymore - and that rag hate electric cars anyway! Most in Europe are democratic leaning, aren't overly religious and are 99% anti-gun. So Elon courting the Republicans doesn't look good in Europe! They see the Dems as for environmental controls - and if they have bought a Tesla a lot will have bought for clean air / environmental reasons. People who have money to buy a Tesla are often making a conscious decision for the less polluting vehicle. Remember the Green party is in power in Germany (all be-it part of a coalition).
Here are some of their choices:
MG: support the Chinese regime
VW: support the dieselgate cheaters
GM: support the company that sued every major American state to increase pollution.
Tesla: The CEO insulted a cave diver. Goodness gracious. Definitely can’t support THAT company.

I'm not a tesla investor, but wonder, is there anyone still hodling tsla? The way I see it, one can easily double the money (or number of stocks) by selling now and getting back in at 50% and the way the overall markets are going, it seems likely.
1. Sell low.
2. ???
3. profit.

If I understand you correctly.