Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(And if Tesla think I'm wrong, and wish the market to understand that, then Tesla should publish regular, reliable facts about both their own business and the global market; and answer properly posed questions from knowledgeable people.)

Elon has already casually told you that you are wrong a few times, if you would listen. If you want more than that, he is more likely to show you that you are wrong than he is to explain in detail how you are wrong. Doing is more important to Elon than telling people they are wrong and explaining why they are wrong.

Last edited:
Hyundai...expecting 10% growth in 2023

"Hyundai plans to expand market share and operate profitability oriented businesses by flexibly responding to market changes, accelerating its transition to electrification, responding to global environmental regulations, and optimizing production, logistics and sales by region," the company said in a statement."

from

"Hyundai, Kia expect vehicle sales to jump 10% in 2023"

Hyndai Statement link

"Hyundai Motor Reports 2022 Global Sales and 2023 Goals"

"For December 2022, Hyundai’s monthly global sales totaled 347,340 units, including 276,953 for overseas markets and 70,387 for the Korean market.

Hyundai was also able to accelerate its transition to electrification last year, thanks to the strong sales of IONIQ 5 and the successful launch of IONIQ 6. The IONIQ 5 and IONIQ 6 together recorded over 100,000 units of global sales in 2022. "
I keep saying there's no way to reach the 2035 ICE ban w/o Tesla. And yet the narrative exists for Tesla demand problems!

So sad to see one of the ones i used to respect turn GLJ on us:

1672779368733.png

We always want him to have vision, because not many non-founder CEOs do. But we also want him to have perspective, which many non-founder CEOs do, and its dreadfully dull but placates the people who manipulate the market.

So we want BOTH...

...because almost no one has that. And if you think you're going to be worth more than AAPL + SAR combined, you need both. I don't have both, but I don't claim to be able to lead a company to > $4T valuation. So pull on the big boy pants and step up as the generational visionary and a solid economist we know you are (please).
That's the job of the BoD IMO. Elon is a visionary guy and a loose canon, it's these a attributes, along with his other qualities, that made Tesla and Space-X into the industry-leading behemoths that they are

For me the BoD should be setting the tone for investor relations and the communication to the markets - let's be clear, this is the only issue I see, Tesla as a company are bossing it - yes, they didn't hit 50% yoy, but is that Tesla's fault or the incompetence of management for not guiding correctly when they had the opportunity to do so at end of Q2?

Well how do you think Tesla are going to achieve a 50% cost reduction for Gen3?
Build line segments that don't have humans in them. Once the last human is gone, you increase the clock frequency of that line. The limiting factor suddenly changes from the max speed of human eye-hand coordination to motor power limit vs inertia and aerodynamic resistance of moving parts. Just think of the maximum difference between these two line speeds and your mind will be blown.

Already at 2x speed, CAPEX per car is down 50% for that line segment.

For a smaller car with a structural battery pack they need smaller front and rear castings.

If they also cast the sides, those are larger castings, but now it is essentially a matter of joining 4 parts, then attaching the battery pack.
Big question in my mind is whether the passenger cage can/ should be made of aluminum.

This is amateur theory crafting here.

Aluminum is brittle and shatters rather than bends. This seems like it would compromise passenger safety. I think even Tesla wants to use high strength steel in these locations which likely means some stamping. Looking at the prototype Cybertruck, everything other than the passenger cage is cast aluminum, but the passenger cage is HSS. I think this is deliberate due to the properties of the metals.

When stressed steel bends, but retains some strength.

So I don’t see a 4 piece car unless those pieces are folded like origami. I could be wrong here, it’s going to be interesting to find out!

• Informative
Reactions: petit_bateau

View attachment 891947
Haha, Elon said "we need to unwind the wave to smooth out deliveries and will save on cost....this also means more cars in transit". Bulls all cheer "about time!".

Tesla unwinds the wave by like 10% with cars in transit now reaching 4.4% from 2% of production
Bulls "OH MY GOD NO DEMAND WHAT HAPPENED?!@"

Big question in my mind is whether the passenger cage can/ should be made of aluminum.

This is amateur theory crafting here.

Aluminum is brittle and shatters rather than bends. This seems like it would compromise passenger safety. I think even Tesla wants to use high strength steel in these locations which likely means some stamping. Looking at the prototype Cybertruck, everything other than the passenger cage is cast aluminum, but the passenger cage is HSS. I think this is deliberate due to the properties of the metals.

When stressed steel bends, but retains some strength.

So I don’t see a 4 piece car unless those pieces are folded like origami. I could be wrong here, it’s going to be interesting to find out!

They already have the front/rear castings which absorb impacts during crashes.

Side on impacts are a different challenge.

But they did propose casting the entire car.

Steel could still be added where necessary.

The important thing is that they can do Gen3 for 50% of the Gen2 cost.

View attachment 891947
He's loosing it. I have a hard time taking him seriously - and also in the future, even if he should turn bullish again. His turn-around is simply too weird. Seems he has to justify his decision to all of the world. If I was him I would hide... or at least not be so vocal of his sudden change of mind...

View attachment 891947

He must be wishing he came to this conclusion before dad lost 10M ;)
(+best wishes, he seemed like a decent guy ...)

2 things to manage for long duration in markets - greed, expertise.
So
#1.Don't be greedy
#2 Don't think of your self as an expert, don't be 100% sure ...

Last edited:
That's hopeful, but I have a feeling the IRA details were purposeful to exclude the MY5, not a mistake so no "corrections" coming.

Maybe they knew how much taxpayer money they'd need to put out if the MY5 qualified, so they bent the rules on purpose to exclude it? Maybe it's retribution towards Tesla for Elon speaking out against the Democrats? Maybe the purpose of the IRA is not to promote EV's but rather to boost legacy auto with taxpayer money without directly bailing them out in plain sight?

Whatever the case, the IRA seems to have been meticulously crafted to exclude America's best selling EV, and that simply can't be by accident.

The Congressional Budget Office estimated that through September 30, 2023 (end of the government's FY2023), EV credits for new vehicles would amount to only $85M. So at the full $7,500 credit, that would only be ~11,333 vehicles (see table below and/or page 12 of this document).

Just the Model Y sells for than 50,000 units per quarter in the U.S., so they were definitely not counting on it qualifying for a credit or were incompetent in coming up the estimates if there was any possibility it would.

Even as it is, I think the 7-seater Model Y could sell more than 11,333 units through September 30th, 2023 so there could be additional restrictions foreseen in the guidance that will be published in March regarding materials that would ensure Tesla does not get the full $7,500 credit for the rest of this year. In the end, I think this provision in the IRA, if unchanged, will end up costing a lot more than the $7.5B estimate over 9 years (~1M vehicles at full credit / ~2M at half credit).

1672779624367.png

Would not read too much into this, but the 14 Model 3's in inventory the US 13 are Rear Wheel Drive. 1 Performance.

In Canada 54 Performance Model 3's.

So in North America there is not one LR Model 3 in inventory.

Website says available in 2023. So you cannot order one nor is there any inventory.

Not going to speculate but seems odd.

Aluminum is brittle and shatters rather than bends.
Nope, there are many blends of alu. Alu is superior to steel for its weight savings and it can match steel in strength as well. Again many blends and compositions and as we witness with Tesla they will formulate their own blends to achieve X structural demands, crumple characteristics that it requires. With weight being the biggest issue with batteries alu makes the obvious low cost choice. And on the point of formulating their own blends, Tesla taps SpaceX's bleeding edge expertise on Material Science when needed.

Btw, the old alu is brittle and shatter or snap is probably a vestige of the old Cannondales and Kleins from the 80's with their then limited understanding of alu, fat tube frames of that era.

Last edited:
He's loosing it. I have a hard time taking him seriously - and also in the future, even if he should turn bullish again. His turn-around is simply too weird. Seems he has to justify his decision to all of the world. If I was him I would hide... or at least not be so vocal of his sudden change of mind...
Granted the part I will give him a pass is that he got scared due to what Musk said on Space. Many people value Tesla using forward PE and points to the high net margins the company prints, and forward earnings to justify current multiples. Musk kind of threw cold water of that style of valuation after he said if the recession gets bad, Tesla will maximize revenue growth over profits as it's better to scale car deliveries due to FSD. This line I believe got many bulls and institutional investors to capitulate. So word of warning. Even if Q4 earnings are solid, I fully expect Musk to repeat this or even emphasize this again on the call because that's just his style...he is one of Tslaq's best FUD spreader..lol.

As for me, I was not a huge fan of Musk saying this BECAUSE he is hinting at future price cuts which could keep buyers at bay, which can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.