Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When an EV/Tesla Youtuber is randomly upstaged by Warwick Davis - Wikipedia eating a sarnie!

Warwick's Tesla Model 3 is unmodified apart from pedal extensions (as per video).

Also Renault/VW joint projects abandoned.
UK used EV sales increase 70% at 21 minutes - this is probably the most important aspect.
etc

1717181948676.png

Last edited:
Not a fan of the squircle at all, but the steering was really cool in my limited drive.

I prefer the Yoke...maybe Squircle over the new MS/X wheel, but I don't particularly like that wheel design.

Yoke+SBW would be the best of both worlds.
squircle is not really the main point... it is the steering itself .. but squircle is very comfortable.. the tightness of SBW makes the giant steering wheels of the past completely unnecessary... yoke should be an option i suppose ... but the top part is nice for resting arms on long drives

Last edited:
Went to check out the BYD showroom that opened in my city today, and since I had time, played with the software a lot. Goddamn BYD, why so much effort in making the customer mad? So many menus, nothing is clear to where that setting you want is

The worse is the navigation, no charging planner whatsoever and no SoC on arrival prediction still. You can input a route and click a button to show chargers on route, but the software doesn't know about a lot of existing chargers the ones that it does, are suggested in a brain dead way

Example, was testing both on the Seal and the Dolphin Mini (Seagull), the navigation is completely agnostic to what car it is routing, on both cars by clicking on chargers on route, the only two chargers it shows are less than 100 km away, when both vehicles can do 500 and 250 km respectively and were nearly fully charged

On top of that, the Seal took a solid 20 seconds to even open the map

The rest of the cars is fine and nice even, specially the Seal were even the sound system is acceptable, the battery size and charging times are good to not make road tripping a pain, but the software overall hurts them a lot

I will still consider a Dolphin Mini for the future, because it's only option at the price

Last time I checked them out was before spending a month with a Model 3, so the gap is even bigger now

Went to check out the BYD showroom that opened in my city today, and since I had time, played with the software a lot. Goddamn BYD, why so much effort in making the customer mad? So many menus, nothing is clear to where that setting you want is

The worse is the navigation, no charging planner whatsoever and no SoC on arrival prediction still. You can input a route and click a button to show chargers on route, but the software doesn't know about a lot of existing chargers the ones that it does, are suggested in a brain dead way

Example, was testing both on the Seal and the Dolphin Mini (Seagull), the navigation is completely agnostic to what car it is routing, on both cars by clicking on chargers on route, the only two chargers it shows are less than 100 km away, when both vehicles can do 500 and 250 km respectively and were nearly fully charged

The rest of the cars is fine and nice even, specially the Seal were even the sound system is acceptable, the battery size and charging times are good to not make road tripping a pain, but the software overall hurts them a lot

I will still consider a Dolphin Mini for the future, because it's only option at the price

Last time I checked them out was before spending a month with a Model 3, so the gap is even bigger now
If BYD was top notch, they would be opening showrooms in US and not Brazil ;)
(before the recently announced tariffs that is). cheers!!

the competition is coming 🤣🤣🤣... not

Last edited:
If BYD was top notch, they would be opening showrooms in US and not Brazil ;)
(before the recently announced tariffs that is). cheers!!

Perfectly put. Don't get me wrong, it's a good car, been seeing them pop up more and more, the Dolphin Mini barely launched and there is a lot in my neighborhood. But for most you can't have car that is only good in tow or not a major headache to go far

I'm considering for the future because it's small, not much more expensive than cheapest new ICE you can buy today and most important, seems possible to fit a bike on it

the competition is coming 🤣🤣🤣

If Tesla makes something similar, but just running Tesla OS on it and for a similar price, it will sell a lot, even here

Perfectly put. Don't get me wrong, it's a good car, been seeing them pop up more and more, the Dolphin Mini barely launched and there is a lot in my neighborhood. But for most you can't have car that is only good in tow or not a major headache to go far

I'm considering for the future because it's small, not much more expensive than cheapest new ICE you can buy today and most important, seems possible to fit a bike on it

If Tesla makes something similar, but just running Tesla OS on it and for a similar price, it will sell a lot, even here
the SW wins the day it can modified to be used on any form factor ... i am actually annoyed driving my new CT w/o FSD ... it feels unsafe

Just curious, how much are these in Brazil vs. a MY or M3? I think these Dolphin Mini's are only like $10k USD (if converted from Yuan?) vs. $35k/$45k for M3/MY in China?

the competition is coming 🤣🤣🤣

So many different BYD models, probably a legacy computer setup with modules everywhere & inability to do Over The Air updates. And @GhostSkater has described the User Interface, especially charging/navigation.

And BYD are touted as Tesla's main EV competition. Which is arguably correct.

Prices in UK not that great. Same tax rates as Model 3 (Shanghai-made). Image is prices sorted by cheapest to most expensive (BYD/Tesla only).

3 Dolphin variants with 45 - 60 kWh. The small-shape, bigger battery Dolphin 60kWh being around £9-10000 cheaper than Model 3 RWD/LFP. BYD Atto 3 is only £2800 cheaper than Model 3. I suspect a few equipment upgrades would be needed for many people, putting BYD price higher.

Please note the efficiency figures. Best BYD of the four cheapest is 281 Watt hours per mile. Model 3 is 221 Wh/mile.

Source: EV database - BYD & Tesla cheapest first

Edit: For completeness, base Model Y in UK is £44,990 and is next in order. Added as an extra image as otherwise adverts take up screen. BYD Seal AWD & Model 3 AWD almost same price, Tesla only £1300 more and probably better specified.

1717186690466.png

1717187703441.png

Last edited:

"Polestar tells PCMag it won't happen until later this year. "The timeline has been adjusted to later this summer, but we don’t have further details to share at this time," a Polestar rep says."

the SW wins the day it can modified to be used on any form factor ... i am actually annoyed driving my new CT w/o FSD ... it feels unsafe

Yeah, I didn't even get into that, Model 3 saved me so many times from stupid stuff due to being on vacation and looking everywhere paying less attention on the road than I should
Just curious, how much are these in Brazil vs. a MY or M3? I think these Dolphin Mini's are only like $10k USD (if converted from Yuan?) vs. $35k/$45k for M3/MY in China?

Sure, the Dolphin Mini is R$116k ($22k), the cheapest new ICE you can get is a Fiat Mobi at R$73k ($14k), there is a few other at close price point but all similar

The Seal is R$297k ($56k), cheapest new Model 3 I can find is R$459k ($87K), with a used 2019 with 8k miles for R$300k ($57k)

For a while we had no taxes on EV imports, but now it's back and currently at 18%, and will reach 35% in 2026, way to incentivize the industry, when adoption barely began cranak the taxes again

These price make me mad/sad, because the dream of having a Tesla here is quite far away. @unk45 can probably say with more certain since I couldn't find details, but there is some free trade agreement between Brazil and México, so we might get whatever Tesla makes there with no taxes, and $25k here would be pretty competitive and a hit

Please note the efficiency figures. Best BYD of the four cheapest is 281 Watt hours per mile. Model 3 is 221 Wh/mile.

This is a even bigger deal here with for now with the not so great charging infrastructure, for my usual family visiting trip, 627 km (390 mi) one way on ABRP

Model 3 RWD - one stop - 17mins charging - 129 Wh/km (206 Wh/mi)

Model 3 LR - one stop - 7 min charging - 137 Wh/km (219 Wh/mi)

BYD Dolphin Mini 39 kWh - two stops - 1h17mins - 136 Wh/km (217 Wh/mi)

BYD Seal RWD LR - one stop - 22 min charging - 175 Wh/km!!!! (280 Wh/mi!!!!)

GWM ORA SR - three stops - 1h27min charging - 180 Wh/km!!!! (288 Wh/mi!!!)

While the Dolphin Mini seems to be close to the Model 3, it's tiny, and how the ORA gets so bad efficiency is beyond me, it's also tiny, even less trunk space than the Dolphin Mini, this is why I say the Seal is the only compelling new EV you can get, but for the price a used Model 3 is way more of a deal

Predicting for the NGV, in a similar vehicle they might get down to sub 100 Wh/km (160 Wh/mi), with a 40 kWh pack that is close to 400 km of range, and it does a 10-80% in 25 min to 30 min, similar to current Tesla vehicles, and for around R$125k to R$150k, it will smoke the competition, sub 20 mins charging for my main usecase

I will even glue some sticker near BYD stores saying "Do you know you can spend less than a quarter of the time charging in a Tesla?"

light day OT... CT steer by wire probably being underestimated by most pundits

for those still waiting for CT you will be slowly blown away by steer by wire/4wheel steering ... it is fantastic i got in my model S last night after driving CT for 2 weeks ... Model S feels like a POS with giant sloppy steering wheel ... it is game over steer by wire with squircle is the way to go for all vehicles ... Tesla has moved the goal posts again

Had the pleasure of trying it out - "no driving the CT" but maxed out in each direction while parked. I do get it - would love for all Teslas adopt this!

And they probably will. Thinking Gen 3 and the next refresh of the S & X are good candidates.

After that a bunch of Chinese cars before any of the OEMs starts thinking about it.

Reactions: AZRI11
After looking at thousands of cars in Beijing, I have yet to see a single Model 3 refresh. I have seen 2 Xiao mi so far and many Model 3 refreshes in the states.

Yes I have seen many Teslas, including S and X. Just not the refresh 3. I wonder if those are just being shipped overseas as priority right now? So far I have seen an equal number of 3s and Ys. So the 3 is popular enough.

Good to know that Walmart and Costco have also received Tesla Semis. Tesla has mentioned previously that they're shipping between Fremont and Giga Nevada, and now we have video evidence, I guess. I highly value Tesla electrify the shipping industry - we need safer transport that's also cleaner, and it's starting to happen in my lifetime...

I think it should be perceived that way given Elon told us Tesla will never settle an unjust case.

I find it funny that people otherwise don't believe a word Elon says hold on to this tweet religiously, way to be consistent guys...

For starters, he said "my commitment", not Tesla's commitment. And he's also allowed to change his mind, in fact he does this all the time, you can call it a "pivot" in startup jargon.