Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ditto. Plus, it's a safety numbers game that will dictate the value of each HW version to eternity. Safety data on these systems will clarify fair market value accordingly. The cheaper rides will get you there, but might stop for a bit along the way, or a bit slower and might not avoid a crazy car out there. So riskier, but still way safer than a human. Upgrade if you really need it like a road warrior.

(Edit: Actually, they must make HW3 work FSD. They need the data right? It was why our Model 3 was upgraded for free, so why would that reason change. Must be because HW3 is sufficient in the near future, else the mission changed.)
HW3 already has the data. The camera feedback button has been deactivated, the revenue is recognized, that iteration is all but done and the only remaining item is merging highway functionality into the stack. Last year Tesla laid off about 200 people who were working on the labelling and such in their San Mateo office and people speculated that maybe it meant FSD is "done" -- it is, just maybe not in the way people expected.

This is exactly the process Tesla described to the California DMV in leaked emails/letters way back when. A final release will remain Level 2, and then further iterative processes will begin with the goal of advancing to higher levels of autonomy.

HW4 is a new iteration and will require new data with the assumed additional camera feeds being fused in along with whatever else is added. Elon is already talking about HW5, and we know a Robotaxi-specific platform is under development. We truly have no idea what a generalized, real robotaxi even looks like.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but this has been perpetually around the corner for over seven years now and it remains right around the corner.

Here I lie, waiting to pounce...

Shame on you for even saying it. :) The X is an amazing machine, and I hope it lives forever. It's also quite distinct from the Cybertruck in target demo and capability.

It would be great if Tesla instead worked to raise capacity of S/X, bring the megacasting process over, and get the S/X to a more reasonable price point. I can't tell you how many X would sell if the lineup was Y starting at ~$50k and X starting at $70k/$75k, but it's... large.
This is what I have been hoping for. If the 6 seater X (or a newly designed similar size vehicle) ever dropped below $80k (eligible for $7,500 rebate) I would jump all over it. There is a huge market for a family vehicle this size but the price would need to come way down. Not sure what the current margins are on the X but I believe they were selling them below $80k at one point and I assume they still had a healthy profit built in. 🤷‍♂️

This is what I have been hoping for. If the 6 seater X (or a newly designed similar size vehicle) ever dropped below $80k (eligible for $7,500 rebate) I would jump all over it. There is a huge market for a family vehicle this size but the price would need to come way down. Not sure what the current margins are on the X but I believe they were selling them below $80k at one point and I assume they still had a healthy profit built in. 🤷‍♂️
As a Tesla investor I completely disagree with this. As an excited early adopter I would love this.

Keep the margins super high and keep the X in rarified air. It costs Tesla way more to build an X than a Y, win with volume on Y and an elite product with the X.

You also have to consider, almost anyone buying an $80k car is ineligible for the $7,500 rebate because of income limits so it does Tesla no good to peg the X pricing to the tax credit.

A $72.5K model X after tax credit, as a consumer, I'm all in and would buy that for sure!

I wonder if Tesla would do better with the S and X if they moved the price up, but also went more full-on luxury, with nicer interior materials and a bit more fancy gadgets. Really create a separation from the 3 and Y.
Moving the price up shrinks the addressable market.

Makes it more difficult to keep those assembly lines busy which is sort of counter to the mission.

Pure speculation. I don't believe many would see $15K worth of value in what you speculate Tesla's plan is.
Informed and pessimistic speculation sure, I've been following this stuff very closely for a long time

But I think people mostly just need to read between the lines, this has been masterfully marketed. The FSD that most people bought has never been tied to SAE levels, ownership of the DDT, or anything that actually makes robotaxis possible. People were sold a Level 2 ADAS that would exceed human safety levels, and then a different perception was sold mostly through Elon's twitter account and that's where I think Tesla's butt has been covered.

I don't follow these prices very closely - posting in case it's useful to someone.

Edit: I've been looking for Tesla daily/Tesla Podcast / Rob Maurer graph of prices over time, but can't find it. Anyone have a link to latest or another similar graph/table?

Edit2: Might only be 288 for sale (tweet isn't clear) and price differential increased due to changes in comparison model, not that 4680 price has decreased according to
"Pricing has been $50,990 since the price drops last month though."

Woah. Huge batch of Model Y 4680 just hit Tesla inventory. Priced brand new at $50,990 or $43,490 after the credit. Now $4,000 cheaper than 2170 Y. Previously, only $1,000 cheaper. 4680 Y ramping?

Last edited:
Nice.

Redwood has received conditional commitment for a $2 billion loan from the DOE's Loan Program Office. Redwood will draw upon this milestone-based financing in tranches that support our phased construction and allows us to unlock funding as we accelerate the construction and expansion of our first battery materials campus.​

I don't follow these prices very closely - posting in case it's useful to someone. Edit: I've been looking for Tesla daily/Tesla Podcast / Rob Maurer graph of prices over time, but can't find it. Anyone have a link to latest or another similar graph/table?

Not sure if it's the specific one you're looking for but I use this

• Helpful
Reactions: UkNorthampton
I don't follow these prices very closely - posting in case it's useful to someone. Edit: I've been looking for Tesla daily/Tesla Podcast / Rob Maurer graph of prices over time, but can't find it. Anyone have a link to latest or another similar graph/table?

@Ogre called this pricing scheme out just before the Model Y 2170 price hike. Previously the tiny price difference didn’t make sense. Now the price difference is starting to positively impact sales of the Model Y 4680.

Still don’t know the purpose of the Model Y 4680 amidst Tesla’s alleged plan to use these new battery packs for the Cybertruck.

I'm surprised that the MM haven't gotten this stock closer to $200 today to make tomorrow's work more manageable (I know, I know, there's still over an hour left in today's game). Sure hope the volume remains high and their shenanigans fail this week!
Has been a lot of volume on p200 today, I suspect tomorrow we might find c200 somewhat neutralised

Another nasty macro day not helping much