Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1676496867319.png

Source: https://home.treasury.gov/policy-is...al-institutions-and-fiscal-service/debt-limit

cumulative-co-emissions.png

Source: Visualizing Changes in COâ‚‚ Emissions Since 1900

q0fBeIkxWLIE8fBWxhoQrcpBGdek1lasvh1SAGzVjMM.PNG

Source: Here's how CO2 emissions have changed since 1900

🤔 q - if the cost of energy goes down with clean energy products/services, then will every person's/business' profit margins on products/services (thus, investments too) go up? Would that lead, applying occam's razor, to more taxes to reduce down the debt significantly?

Dig deeper. That level scales up as you add dependents, very quickly as well.

The interesting bit is the overlap between qualifying with LOW enough income for the full CA one -and- having HIGH enough income to have $7500 in income tax liability for the full fed one.

For a single person the window is tiny.... $54,000 minimum income, $54,360 max income.

With a spouse (or 1 kid and no spouse) the window a a bit larger but still tight... minimum income $69,500- max income $73,240.

Once you add a third person things get much easier- minimum income remains at $69,500 (since filing jointly is as high as you can go on the 1040 tax tables) to have $7500 in liability, but the CA max income jumps to over 92k, and then 111k with 4 people, and another roughly 18.8k per person from there.

🤔 q - if the cost of energy goes down with clean energy products/services, then will every person's/business' profit margins on products/services (thus, investments too) go up? Would that lead, applying occam's razor, to more taxes to reduce down the debt significantly?
Fun thought experiments, especially since we're living it in real time. So margins would increase but so might healthcare costs (for the business). A tax on EV charging is what I'd expect, hopefully to pay for more solar and save the grid! It's gonna be our fault we wrecked the grid trying to push too hard... and right when Hoover Dam stops. Catch 22.

Consider how the "cost" of pretty much everything is mostly based upon the price of energy needed to create, transport, display, etc. any product or service. This idea you have can be extrapolated out to reveal the potential of a society with significantly reduced dependence upon taxes, and possibly, even upon money.

Basic needs might be easily provided for all without it being a burden upon anyone. How would that change the paradigm?

Perhaps Gene Roddenberry was onto something?

Fun thought experiments, especially since we're living it in real time. So margins would increase but so might healthcare costs (for the business). A tax on EV charging is what I'd expect, hopefully to pay for more solar and save the grid! It's gonna be our fault we wrecked the grid trying to push too hard... and right when Hoover Dam stops. Catch 22.

I think this is the driving factor behind Elon's mission to accelerate the transition to renewable energy. The quicker we build it up, the sooner many of these problems go the way of the Dodo.

Hertz ended 2022 with about 50k Telsas in their 428.7k fleet, and fell short of the 100k Teslas by 2022 goal they headlined in Oct 2021. So by saying 25% of their fleet will be EVs by EOY 2024, it seems they are simply reiterating 100k Teslas, but 2 years late.
Hertz has also announced their intention to buy 65,000 Geely/Volvo EVs and 175,000 GM EVs by 2025. Volvos, I can see. GM, I think not. In any case, it looks like a layup for 25% EVs of some kind by the end of next year.

Consider how the "cost" of pretty much everything is mostly based upon the price of energy needed to create, transport, display, etc. any product or service. This idea you have can be extrapolated out to reveal the potential of a society with significantly reduced dependence upon taxes, and possibly, even upon money.

Basic needs might be easily provided for all without it being a burden upon anyone. How would that change the paradigm?

Perhaps Gene Roddenberry was onto something?

Actually, I'm still trying to prepare for understanding how the energy transition and potential macro black swans might change the investment landscape from an outsider's perspective! Yes, its super out there and macro, but I'm trying to comprehend this transition before/while it actually happens.

Hertz has also announced their intention to buy 65,000 Geely/Volvo EVs and 175,000 GM EVs by 2025. Volvos, I can see. GM, I think not. In any case, it looks like a layup for 25% EVs of some kind by the end of next year.
The commitment to buy GM EVs is something that looks good in press, but won't actually cost them anything, because GM won't have 175k EVs to sell them by then. ;)

Don't forget that some states, like Oregon, require at least one 350kW stall at each NEVI site. But I guess you could install a third-party charger for that in addition to the Superchargers, but that would probably significantly complicate the power sharing implementation.

This and general power sharing requirements will be handled by V4 Superchargers pretty handily. Let's hope we hear more about them in March and they start actually deploying them soon.

Reactions: samn
Yeah, always amusing to watching the entitled sheep go after . . . basically anyone. Toxic group that's NEVER happy with any decision.
Internet trolls: Musk wasting money sending up useless rockets
Same trolls: we should nationalize starlink because it's too important for one person to control

You really can't beat them

I don't have the energy right now to try to calculate out if a Megapack could support a single high volume site during a high-volume event. (Holiday/Conference/meteor shower weekend, etc.)
Sometimes if the high volume event was known about in advance, and there was sufficient space, some additional Megapacks / chargers on trailers could be plugged in.

It may be harder to achieve the peak kW required at a site via a gird connection, often that peak kW is for a short duration, if it is, Megapacks are one option.