Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before I "retired" on the gains in my TSLA, I made audio for videogames, from Commodore 64 through to XBOX360 I worked on a driving game in the 90's and it was a struggle to make the engine sounds loop and change pitch correctly. Audio designers have since iterated and polished that small corner of the biz into an art. I never thought an actual car would have the same sort of software running in it. So from my unique standpoint, that is very cool. At the same time, it is also incredibly dumb.
So we have been coming down to Key West for winters last couple years and yes it is a paradise, but will be even more so with continued electrification. The most annoying thing down here is combustion engine noise. I take a walk each morning with my dogs to get a coffee. Workers are out every morning near Duval (main drag), which every night has lots of activity that can result in a good deal of mess. So lots and lots of people with landscape blowers, diesel trucks picking up garbage, semi's delivering goods. The big trucks idling, the garbage trucks engines running, the landscape blowers running. They all create a ton of noise pretty early in the day when taking a walk. Actually this year some of the landscape workers are using electric blowers and they are so much quieter. Cant wait for more and electricifications of the big trucks to happen. Will truly be paradise.

Before I "retired" on the gains in my TSLA, I made audio for videogames, from Commodore 64 through to XBOX360 I worked on a driving game in the 90's and it was a struggle to make the engine sounds loop and change pitch correctly. Audio designers have since iterated and polished that small corner of the biz into an art. I never thought an actual car would have the same sort of software running in it. So from my unique standpoint, that is very cool. At the same time, it is also incredibly dumb.

Agreed, but it also leaves me wondering exactly who they believe their target market is?

Spending money to develop the "Sound of ICE" when the world is rapidly transitioning to EV's propensity to run silently is going to appeal to exactly what share of EV buyers?

They are already way behind in the game and this screams (literally) what they think of their customers' wants and desires. No, let's not worry about making it work, or developing the technology in order to be competitive with batteries or software.

No, instead, we'll put our limited engineering budget toward "fooling" our ICE customers into thinking their EV still needs to fill up with gas, because, you can hear the engine, right?

This sounds more like something Mel Brooks or Monty Python would do as a comedy skit.

Whats going on for lucid near -10% after close
They had a gross loss of ~$185k per vehicle delivered in 22Q4? And they are only planning to run their factory at about one-third capacity in 2023, so that isn't likely to improve much. Only about a year of cash on hand, even after the last large capital raise.

But this all belongs over here: All discussion of Lucid Motors

so what would be a hypothetical example of someone who will likely make some money from TSLA but not enough to create lasting wealth:
person who thinks doubling or tripling one's capital within a short period of time is enough to sell TSLA
another investor who will likely create an enormous fortune would be someone who is not happy with 5X or 10X or 40x or even 100X but is shooting for 300 to 500X or even higher over several decades
conservatively, if TSLA were
Stock going up after hours any news ?
going up because of Nvidia

Investor Day is in Texas, but Tesla seems to be setting up for something at the Palo Alto campus. Twitter user 'Prasun' whose bio is 'Staff Manufacturing Engineer @ Tesla Vehicle Manufacturing' responds with a smiley face..

Edit: This wasn't the site of the Elon/Newsom press conference, it's something else.

Last edited:
So we have been coming down to Key West for winters last couple years and yes it is a paradise, but will be even more so with continued electrification. The most annoying thing down here is combustion engine noise. I take a walk each morning with my dogs to get a coffee. Workers are out every morning near Duval (main drag), which every night has lots of activity that can result in a good deal of mess. So lots and lots of people with landscape blowers, diesel trucks picking up garbage, semi's delivering goods. The big trucks idling, the garbage trucks engines running, the landscape blowers running. They all create a ton of noise pretty early in the day when taking a walk. Actually this year some of the landscape workers are using electric blowers and they are so much quieter. Cant wait for more and electricifications of the big trucks to happen. Will truly be paradise.
OT-I don't know how to private message ,I want to talk to you about KW can u contact me

I liked the conversation between Elon and Governor Newsom, even though they left out what they disagree about, what was said seemed honest to me and I think its good they talked after all that Elon has said on twitter.

I don't want to start a political conversation, but this week really demonstrated that Tesla is too critical to the transition to sustainable energy for politicians to simply stop working with Elon over political differences.

From the Biden Whitehouse announcement of collaboration over Supercharging and directly thanking Elon, to today's joint press conference with Newsom.

It really shows that Tesla and Elon are irreplaceable.

Although this doesn't help *today* Enphase is one of the companies working on a biphase ev charger. This would allow folks with V2H EV's to use their EV as battery backup. So MUCH larger battery capacity at basically zero cost, rather than spending more than a solar system on low battery capacity.

One would probably be better off buying an old Nissan Leaf as a backup battery rather than $40,000 of power walls.

This is what I'm looking for - but I'm building my Net Zero house right now, so I guess I'll have to wait...

Does anyone have advice about what to "rough in" so that when this kind of tech releases, I can add it to my system? I'm not keen on spending so much on battery backup when I'll have 2 EV's that have a tonne of capacity just sitting in my garage during potential blackouts, and my grid in the area is generally stable (maybe a couple of outages per year during big storms).

Investor Day is in Texas, but Tesla seems to be setting up for something at the Palo Alto campus. Twitter user 'Prasun' whose bio is 'Staff Manufacturing Engineer @ Tesla Vehicle Manufacturing' responds with a smiley face..

Edit: This wasn't the site of the Elon/Newsom press conference, it's something else.
The guy who posted recent crap-quality Cybertruck videos we've been seeing have been from California as well. He was working on the lighting crew.

This is what I'm looking for - but I'm building my Net Zero house right now, so I guess I'll have to wait...

Does anyone have advice about what to "rough in" so that when this kind of tech releases, I can add it to my system? I'm not keen on spending so much on battery backup when I'll have 2 EV's that have a tonne of capacity just sitting in my garage during potential blackouts, and my grid in the area is generally stable (maybe a couple of outages per year during big storms).
The big problem is safety for the repair crews. Powerwalls and generators have systems that automatically shut off power going to the grid when there is a power outage. Vehicle to house does not. Of course, you can shut the main panel breaker off manually but that requires the human to remember to do that.

This joint announcement with California governor Newsom and Elon didn't have much direct information filling the ~10 min they were on stage talking, but it was clear signaling that Newsom and Musk are still on good terms, or at least they both want to project that image in public.

The governor was speaking very positively of Tesla and Elon, holding the company's leadership up as a monumental example of California's success in fostering manufacturing, innovation and EV technology. Gavin Newsom is also probably the most well-known and influential state governor in the Democratic Party nationwide, so this is pretty significant in my opinion. Elon and Tesla are being praised instead of shunned and ignored, with Newsom saying stuff like "It's a point of pride--always has been for me--that Tesla is a California company. It started here first." and bringing up that he's known Elon for two decades and was one of the first Roadster customers in the early years.

Note that Newsom's most well-known and influential Republican counterpart is governor Greg Abbott of Texas, who has also recently had similar kind words for Tesla and Elon, except more oriented towards hyping up Texas of course. For example:

In the last three years there has been an apparently rocky relationship between government in CA and Tesla, and this is a positive sign in my opinion. Tesla does not always have political leaders on stage with Elon at reveal events, like the Cyber Rodeo for example.

When Tesla relocated the global headquarters to Austin, Elon insisted that Tesla would still continue to expand and hire in CA. Today we got more concrete information on what some of that expansion will look like, so it's not just empty promises. I think this event today should help assuage concerns that Elon has managed to alienate Tesla and the D Party politicians and that this would materially harm the business in terms of governmental resistance. Based on the actions of both Abbott and Newsom it would appear that both sides are being played well enough. By the way, 21% of the US population lives in either CA or TX, so these two governors are politically representing more than 1 out of 5 Americans.

This announcement also indicates that Tesla will not be reliant on recruiting top AI and software talent to leave Silicon Valley for Austin, which there has been some concern about. Tesla is developing teams in Palo Alto and Austin.

Last edited: