Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you know this? I was unable to find clear confirmation in the Cox article or in searching for vAuto for the raw data Cox had referenced...
Cox is an auto dealer servicing business. For that matter Automotive News is primarily oriented to dealers since they are the largest group of subscribers. Both provide dealer inventory data, although Automotive News maintains more widely available data on dealer and consumer incentives, vAuto is Cox Automotive's dealer software arm. Oddly they rarely describe their actual sources, so ambiguity reigns.

The best way to reconcile those with Tesla is to take manufacturer days on hand, generally somewhere between 20 and 30 days, and add that to dealer days on hand typically targeted at roughly 60 days for floor planning financing. For importers, roughly 45 days has been an historical target.

To compare with Tesla one would add 30 days mfr to dealer 60 days to arrive at a typical 90 days to compare with the Tesla 20-25 days.

These numbers reflect reality that is not often disclosed in totality because manufacturers, importers/distributors and dealers are three distinct legal entities, although the importer/distributor ones exist in some but not all cases.

So, to actually calculate typical numbers one adds Manufacturer inventory days on hand (in quarterly reports, sometimes in footnotes) to dealers days on hand ( available easily for public dealer groups. The importer/fistrutor dats is rarely available publicly. Luckily for Tesla a single number it it!

In years past I have been always surprised about the lack of transparency for this data. The only consistent recourse in the US has been Automotive News in recent years, but the Cox people have been presenting the data in a more easily consumed format. It always has surprised me how poor the OEM data actually has been, and how often it has been misleading.

How good it would be were all the OEMs to report data so comprehensively and legibly as does Tesla. Tesla makes data public that some do not even have internally. J

Just remember that nearly all OEMs are more like assemblers and wholesalers than like integrated manufacturers. At least the sales data tends to be accurate.

Maybe it’s just a technicality, but if GM was confident the trucks were “done” they’d be in customer driveways.
I have to believe there are very few (relativity) people who would buy that thing.

It looks like a man with a ...ahem...size problem is the target demographic.

It takes a ton of the "unobtainium" batteries....which they don't have.

One has to wonder if GM is serious about this whole "lectric" thing.

Goldman Sacks fined $3M for 'mistakenly' marking short trades as long over a period of 3 years, avoiding circuit breaker/ alternate uptick rule...

This is the part of the report that made me laugh: (it took FINRA 5 years to issue the fine)

Goldman Sachs Fined $3M By Finra For Mismarked Sales | fa-mag.com (Apr 04, 2023)

"The errors occurred between October 2015 and April 2018, and were discovered during a Finra examination that included how Goldman Sachs executed large “parent orders” and their associated “child orders,” according to Finra."​

@InvestorTurf on Twitter: 4hrs ago

"We have been analyzing the stock market and have come up with a list of stocks that we believe are among the most manipulated in the history of the stock market. The stock market is rigged by a combination of stock exchanges, big Wall Street banks, hedge funds, and market makers.​
"It's no surprise that one of the stocks we mentioned, Citadel Securities, a market maker and also a hedge fund, is being accused, along with Virtu Americas LLC (including Knight Securities), of manipulating the stock of Northwest Biotherapeutics. It's worth noting that Citadel Securities has already been fined numerous times for market manipulation."​
Fs5ABRbWAAEnuin

Last edited:
It takes a ton of the "unobtainium" batteries....which they don't have.

Nope. Guess higher: :p

1.5 US tons

"Not only does the top-line Hummer EV Edition 1 tip the scales at 9,063 pounds, but a document filed with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency this week reveals that the 212.7kWh battery (usable capacity) accounts for nearly a third of that weight. At 2,923 pounds, it weighs as much as a standard Mazda3 sedan."​

This is why I think Tesla is going to Just-in-time pricing too. Once they get the delivery chain figured out, I think they will start updating prices more frequently, maybe twice a month, then weekly, then it will start changing daily.
Change the prices too frequently that can cause some customers to delay ordering especially, when most price changes are reductions.

The ideal model is change prices when it is necessary... If orders are too slow, drop the prices to a level where new orders start to flow. If the backlog becomes too large, increase prices to slow the order rate.

I still think the majority of factory production is allocated to customer orders, not build for inventory.

And additional option is offer the car in new markets, that results in some overheads, but it may be better than price reductions.

Ideally Tesla wants cost reductions to run ahead of price reductions to increase margins and increase head room for the next round of price cuts., Alternatively if costs are rising Tesla needs to increase prices and a delay gains nothing, so in increase prices more frequently.

So logically I expect occasional significant price reductions, and more frequent smaller price increases. That combination should trigger new orders and dissuade customers from cancelling. The best time for price reductions is early in the quarter, or better still late in the (previous) quarter, the best time for increases is anytime.

This is the part of the report that made me laugh: (it took FINRA 5 years to issue the fine)

Goldman Sachs Fined $3M By Finra For Mismarked Sales | fa-mag.com (Apr 04, 2023)

"The errors occurred between October 2015 and April 2018, and were discovered during a Finra examination that included how Goldman Sachs executed large “parent orders” and their associated “child orders,” according to Finra."​
That sounds a lot like a software bug.

South Australia’s last coal-fired power plant had closed, leaving the province of 1.8 million heavily reliant on wind farms and power imports from a neighboring region. When an unprecedented blackout caused much of the country to question the state’s dependence on clean power, Tesla boasted — on Twitter, of course — that it had a solution: It could build the world’s biggest battery, and fast.

“@Elonmusk, how serious are you about this,” replied Australian software billionaire and climate activist Mike Cannon-Brookes. “Can you guarantee 100MW in 100 days?”

Musk responded: “Tesla will get the system installed and working 100 days from contract signature or it is free. That serious enough for you?”

To the astonishment of many, (INSERT TSLAQ & MSM),Tesla succeeded, and today, almost seven years later, that battery and more like it have become central to a shockingly rapid energy transition.

Put me in the "Not astonished club".

Last edited:
Sorry if already posted, haven't seen yet.

I believe that the UK gets M3 & MY from China exclusively. Presumably because right-hand drive. Not sure where other European RHD markets get their cars.

UK - mixed results, still very popular cars, but not as high as previously Car Registrations

My guess would be lack of supply from China.

1680684198441.png

Lower than previous quarters:-

Fs7-hLaX0AAbDsP

Another interesting number from the Norwegian registration stats:

In March Tesla sold 7445 Model Y cars. 867 of those were the cheapest model. Or 11.6% of the Model Y's sold.

So it may look like many customers used the price cuts to get a car with better features.

34.1%

This is Tesla's share of the Norwegian car market (not only the EV market) so far this year. In 2022 Tesla had a market share of 12.2% so this is quite some growth! For March alone the market share is 46.4% so far.

Norwegian buyers are expected to buy 110.000 - 130.000 cars this year - according to the car news site BilNytt.

Source: Tesla med 46 % markedsandel - har allerede satt ny rekord i mars

Edit: Added the even more impressive March percentage.

interesting if true but looking into it, does not Turkey drive on the right hand side, so they will have LWD Model Y's?
Yes, Turkey has left-hand drive (steering wheel on left - LHD) / right hand traffic (RHT). So same as most of Europe (+ USA, China) - Berlin seems to be sticking to making only left hand drive (LHD/RHT) - whether Rear Wheel Drive (RWD), Long range or Performance. This is probably best for higher production through simplicity. It does mean that UK/Ireland deliveries might have different patterns - which may be a useful factor for those predicting deliveries.

"Today, four countries in Europe continue to use LHT; they are all island nations: the United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland (formerly part of the United Kingdom), Cyprus and Malta (both former British colonies)." - Left- and right-hand traffic - Wikipedia

NB. No mention of Malta/Cyprus here - so UK/Ireland only Find Us | Tesla (also Tesla Supercharger map confirms).

To my knowledge only China has (had) Long Wheel Base (LWB) Model 3s. Enough confusing acronyms for now.

300px-Countries_driving_on_the_left_or_right.svg.png

Last edited:
Sorry if already posted, haven't seen yet.

I believe that the UK gets M3 & MY from China exclusively. Presumably because right-hand drive. Not sure where other European RHD markets get their cars.

UK - mixed results, still very popular cars, but not as high as previously Car Registrations

My guess would be lack of supply from China.

View attachment 925180

Lower than previous quarters:-

Fs7-hLaX0AAbDsP
I copy/paste my Tweeted response (and you can add UK seasonality to this, which last year was neutralised by the order-backlog):

I just took a look at Tesla's UK inventory and 90% of it is ex-demo cars, appears to be very low stock on new vehicles to me

I suspect last January's numbers were a bit inflated as there was a long backlog, which Tesla decided to fulfil at that moment Remember that the UK cars come from GF3 in China, aside the production constrains, there's all the logistics to get them to UK

And UK requires production batching for the RHD, and bear in mind that other RHD territories have only recently started receiving cars and others are ramping-up, plus they're all close to China, so logistically easier to deliver

Nothing points to a demand issue at all

Numbers from all over Europe made me dream of stellar sales both in UK and Germany, but actual numbers did not live up the hype:
8703 for Germany and 10493 for UK in March.
This makes Germany Q123 still growing YoY (up 43.4%) but down 34.4% QoQ.
UK both down: -14.1% YoY and -40.4% QoQ.

I wonder if anyone has some color to add. I refuse to believe demand is decreased: my hope is that somehow Tesla has squeezed GigaBerlin production exporting all the sales out of Germany, and will address the internal market in the first two months of this quarter.

Numbers from all over Europe made me dream of stellar sales both in UK and Germany, but actual numbers did not live up the hype:

I wonder if anyone has some color to add. I refuse to believe demand is decreased: my hope is that somehow Tesla has squeezed GigaBerlin production exporting all the sales out of Germany, and will address the internal market in the first two months of this quarter.
Even that we have Easter Holidays and lot of people are already on vacation, you just pay for DIESEL 1.629 EURO / liter in my part of Germany.
Why worry about changing the drive type?

Germany cut EV subsidies in half from 2022 to 2023:

EV And Hybrid Sales Fall In Germany After Government Reduces Subsidies | Carscoops