Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reading the Treasury Dept proposed rules, I got the impression that:

1) $3750 credit comes from the battery "critical minerals," of which a percentage must be from US or "free trade countries" (50% for 2023). Those countries were listed, and included Japan which has a free trade agreement only for "battery minerals" with the US. The minerals must be either mined or processed in one of these countries.

2) $3750 credit comes from the value of "battery components" produced in North America (must be 50% for 2023). The only components that must meet this test are the cathode, anode, current collector foils, separator, and electrolyte. Cell cans or pouches, and all other battery pack components, do not need to meet this requirement.

GSP
Legislation:
QUALIFYING BATTERY COMPONENT.—
(A) IN GENERAL.—The term ‘qualifying battery component’ means any of the following:
(i) Electrode active materials.
(ii) Battery cells.
(iii) Battery modules.

The linked Treasury document, emphasis added:
Battery components would include, but not be limited to, a cathode electrode, anode electrode, solid metal electrode, separator, liquid electrolyte, solid state electrolyte, battery cell, and battery module.

But I haven't read the Treasury document in its entirety.

• Informative
Reactions: unk45 and JusRelax
IMG_0714.jpeg

Tesla Bus, Tesla Van incoming. . .

Legislation:
QUALIFYING BATTERY COMPONENT.—
(A) IN GENERAL.—The term ‘qualifying battery component’ means any of the following:
(i) Electrode active materials.
(ii) Battery cells.
(iii) Battery modules.

The linked Treasury document, emphasis added:
Battery components would include, but not be limited to, a cathode electrode, anode electrode, solid metal electrode, separator, liquid electrolyte, solid state electrolyte, battery cell, and battery module.

But I haven't read the Treasury document in its entirety.
Just above the section you quoted is:

The term “battery” would not include items such as thermal management systems or other parts of a battery cell or module that do not directly contribute to the electrochemical storage of energy within the battery, such as battery cell cases, cans, or pouches.

Also:

Battery components would include any piece of the assembled battery cell that contribute to electrochemical energy storage.

I interpret this to mean that anything that doesn't contribute directly to storing energy, including the cell cans and all parts of the battery besides the cells, are not part of the "battery" for the purpose of the battery components requirement. Modules would just be the jellyrolls and electrolyte for multiple cells.

GSP

Just above the section you quoted is:

The term “battery” would not include items such as thermal management systems or other parts of a battery cell or module that do not directly contribute to the electrochemical storage of energy within the battery, such as battery cell cases, cans, or pouches.

Also:

Battery components would include any piece of the assembled battery cell that contribute to electrochemical energy storage.

I interpret this to mean that anything that doesn't contribute directly to storing energy, including the cell cans and all parts of the battery besides the cells, are not part of the "battery" for the purpose of the battery components requirement. Modules would just be the jellyrolls and electrolyte for multiple cells.

GSP
Good point, this redefinition stuff is part of why I didn't make it through the whole document.
The Treasury doc doesn't appear to modify "battery module" though. If only cell pieces are valid, then "battery module" is meaningless.
Since the cell can is necessary for electrical function, it may be included.

Reactions: wipster
Ok... I'd love to know the final final on the Cybertruck too. But we ain't getting it until fairly close to deliveries. Ram to get people interested to fend off Cybertruck/ Silverado/ Lightning purchases. Tesla is past that point now. Likely at a launch party turning over the first few vehicles to employees (similar to Cyber Rodeo and Model X refresh launch).

Tesla is definitely not announcing pack sizes when they do unveil the Cybertruck either. They just don't tend to do that. Most likely it'll be announcing the first shipping configuration, and a rough timeline of when the rest of the configurations will ship. (and if any will be dropped)

Tesla doesn't need to build hype for Cybertruck. Nor do they need to build up their reservation list. There is no down-side to waiting. If anything the suspense drives the hype. So don't hold your breath.

PS: I think 500 mile Cybertruck will be more like 185 - 200 kWh. I definitely think we need a "Guess the specs" thread prior to launch night.

They are crash testing them now. That suggests design is finalized (unless they find something majorly wrong). If they actually plan on deliveries this summer they need to let buyers know what they will be paying soon.

If the CT has a 200 kWh battery then I'm not sure that's a success. The whole point of the design was to be efficient vs a legacy style truck.

MP3 - Approx 100kwh battery.

What’s more interesting to me is the planned Residential, Commercial heat pump / hvac products!! What is the potential value/revenue generated from these products!?!

Pardon, I had to add some white-space to read your very astute and well-reasoned comment. Thanks for that, and chin up! In spite of the day, over the long run we are winning. And this is a fight we must have, the dark forces must not prevail.

@joh01652 quoted below:
========

Yes, these sorts of articles make me chuckle, too, because it just goes to show who is really in charge, and it's not the voting public. The world we live in today is hilarious for so many reasons, like:
  1. Justice is a function of price—those who can afford to keep the best lawyers and accountants on retainer can freely game the law and distort the markets, elections, science, etc, while real moms and pops and kids commit suicide, go bankrupt, lose their jobs, their homes, wear silly masks, take experimental injections, all while watching their savings, pensions, kids’ college funds, etc, evaporate before their very eyes.
  2. Organized financial crime is rewarded, while virtue, honesty, meritocracy, hard work and thrift gets its throat crushed, making a complete mockery of our political system, justice system, regulatory agencies, indeed the entire notion of rule of law. “Rules for thee, but not for me, the public be damned!” says Global Capital.
  3. Shareholder democracy (as well as political democracy) is a total sham when the global financial apparatus can just fail-to-deliver shares in one long never-ending-game of musical chairs or “mistakenly” mark trades to make insane amounts of money in seconds; in other words, they can do whatever they damn well please. Which segues into…
  4. Picking winners and losers in a rigged global marketplace: you’ve got to love how unelected, unaccountable Central Banksters/Transnational Financiers can manipulate credit and monetary policy that selects certain investments and investors over others; a game of picking winners and losers that Wall Street happily takes part in. The Fed gets to play both arsonist and firefighter in this game, while Wall Street leverages whatever monetary morphine the Fed throws its way to create a meritless, artificial economy. Covid, Ukraine and the “banking crisis” are just the latest episodes of jamming the democratic process while Transnational Finance forces economic transformation without representation; Central Banksters are empowered to do what elected officials cannot without facing the wrath of the voters. What a hoot, indeed, my stomach is aching I'm laughing so hard.
  5. Corporate mainstream media. We all have to congratulate the multibillion dollar, multinational corporate mainstream media for their stellar work in mass mind control—a system of deception and deceit owned and operated by serial liars and con men whose wealthy handlers won’t allow real crimes to come to surface, like naked short selling, censorship of dissent, regulatory capture, bribing politicians and other unelected public servants/scientists. No, mainstream media teaches us to fear really really scary things, like EVs, Elon Musk, our neighbors, virus spreaders, science deniers, working class people, basically people who don’t fall in line with the official narratives spoon fed to them from CNBC, BBC, NPR, New York Times, etc.
I could go on and on, but this might be too much laughter for one morning, so I’ll stop.

#MONEYISNTEVERYTHINGITSTHEONLYTHING!

======

MODS, is there a way we can put @joh01652 thoughts into the "Posts of Merit" thread? Thanks, sorry to cause extra work.

Cheers to the Longs!
Thanks, Lodger, although I don’t think my post was that profound. I have to admit, though, it does read better after you organized it.

I do, however, take issue with your “dark forces” comment. There are no “dark forces,” it’s just men making money, lusting after power, being greedy and envious and prideful. Nobody here is any different, we just can’t exercise the kind of power our rulers do; if we could we would, most of us anyway. I would, that’s for sure. To call conflicts-of-interest and financially-incentivized behavior “dark forces” gives the illusion the problem is intangible and insoluble. It isn’t. There are no ghosts lurking in the shadows, no maleficent goblins, just greedy, poor, opportunistic trailer-trash kids, like me, trying to survive and who want to be stinkin’ rich RIGHT NOW. And then, for those really ambitious individuals, like Elon, after a certain amount of wealth is built one can use their imagination to shape the future as they want it to be shaped.

As investors we don’t need a moral compass, or to follow the science (because science is also a function of money), we just need to FOLLOW THE MONEY, the money that flows into our financial institutions, the judicial system, scientific bureaucracies, the culture industry, academia, medical centers, government and pay-to-play corporate media. This is the only game that matters (if you want to win in the stock market anyway). We still live in the jungle, and the rules of the jungle still apply, kill or be killed, predator vs prey, a world where you are either eating or being eaten. That’s all. Those who are responsible for their own businesses and have to deal with customers, local/state/federal regulations and politicians, taxation, etc, know this in their marrow. In our own ways, we are all fighting our own little personal mob wars, life is tough for all of us, even for those at the top. No dark forces needed. Just humans fighting other humans and trying to get all we can before we die. Not really that complicated.

"Show me the incentive, and I'll show you the outcome." --Charles Munger