Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thought of AJ's notes moving the SP makes me a little ill.
As may be, but it’s the first public assessment of IRA benefits on the automakers I’ve seen, other than what we’ve seen here on TMC for many months. But even then, the note provides a lot of new analysis on the impact on Ford and GM. If this doesn’t impact the stock price, nothing will!

Good to see progress in some early mover nation states. I don’t see the great nation of California on that chart 🤣

It’s stupid expensive for gas here…but $.48/kw?! Hard to believe that we can’t do better. I have free charging on my car; but I’ve talked a lot of people into EV’s around here. Sometimes I feel like the savings from fuel will not be a worthwhile trade off for some 🤷‍♂️

—Edit to add and answer a member question about home rates.

Our home rates are $.32 off peak and $.39 peak. My solar production sells to PGE at $.11.

It’s an absolute nightmare for PGE solar/ev customers here. Luckily I built a large and magnificent solar system; so annually I still only pay $500 for electricity. But the fact that I pay anything is truly absurd. Until I get batteries. They’re inbound. And they’re not tesla. That’s another story. China batteries are so cheap; for the diy guy tesla home batteries are a bit out of touch on pricing.
EV2-A on PG&E for us on NEM2 is a moving target. Back in 2019:

Total Energy Rates
PEAK Summer $0.46883 Winter $0.34172
OFF-PEAK $0.15633 winter $0.15633
PART-PEAK 0.35834 winter $0.32503

then they changed it and per https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV2 (Sch).pdf it now is

$0.25 off peak

Peak summer 0.57098 winter $0.44387

Mid peak summer 0.46049 winter $0.42717
Off peak summer 0.25847 winter $0.25847

Off peak is midnight to 3pm, part peak is 3-4pm, peak 4-9, part peak 9-midnight

So my home batteries charge from solar until 3pm and after that I am battery consumption only until midnight.

I didn't think that you could legally disconnect from the grid in California.

But maybe something has changed since 2016.

Yes, in the past 1 year there have been some legal challenges and people testing this, and it has been allowed. But until the past year, you are correct.

In my case, I would need 2 more powerwalls, and a backup power source (mixed fuel generator) to get through those weeks in the winter when we have a string of days with minimal sun. But, there is a supercharger 3 miles from the house, so in a pinch I would not need enough power to charge the cars, just the house.

EV2-A on PG&E for us on NEM2 is a moving target. Back in 2019:

Total Energy Rates
PEAK Summer $0.46883 Winter $0.34172
OFF-PEAK $0.15633 winter $0.15633
PART-PEAK 0.35834 winter $0.32503

then they changed it and per https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV2 (Sch).pdf it now is

$0.25 off peak

Peak summer 0.57098 winter $0.44387

Mid peak summer 0.46049 winter $0.42717
Off peak summer 0.25847 winter $0.25847

Off peak is midnight to 3pm, part peak is 3-4pm, peak 4-9, part peak 9-midnight

So my home batteries charge from solar until 3pm and after that I am battery consumption only until midnight.

There are not many things I am tankful for about living in NJ, but energy prices are one of them. No peak pricing and comparatively very cheap (currently .094781)

Totally unrelated, just got an email from Tesla Solar that they now have 15yr financing terms available. Should help lower the monthly cost that might have been a barrier for some.

1683727704457.png

Not much overhere I’m afraid. The ‘new normal’ is around €0.40/kWh.

Gas price is around €1.80/litre.

Big plus is that home solar is quite common here, among home owners were at more than 30% and we still have full net metering.

So solar plus EV is basically a no brainer.
Don’t know about other countries, but Belgium and The Netherlands now have dynamic tariff price plans. With all the solar and wind energy in those countries, there are plenty of times in the week where charging your car is significantly cheaper than the regular price. So you can basically charge cheaply from the electricity the neighbours are generating with their solar panels. Even though the weather is cloudy today, and we’re still only beginning of may, although it’s a weekday, 1PM-5PM is now the cheapest time of day to charge your car in Belgium and The Netherlands if you have a dynamic tariff. This will only become cheaper in the future. But not many people know this.

This guy never learns his lesson:

$137 mil judgement - slashed to $15 mil. Wasn't good enough for him, so he went back to court to go after Tesla for more, jury awarded him $3.2 mil. And the rumor on that judgement is that there was additional evidence that Tesla uncovered that would have likely essentially brought the judgement down to ZERO, but they were not allowed to introduce that evidence late in the trial. At a re-trial, that evidence would be fair game.

His lawyers must be foaming at the mouth, they are the only ones making out here.
I was just reading about that. I’m honestly to the point now that I don’t believe him and there’s more to the story.

I think there was back and forth ‘jawing’ between him and other employees of other ethnicities; at first ‘playful’ and meant in good humor that subsequently escalated. I think he’s as much to blame as others.

I’ve always felt something was up when even as he was supposedly suffering from harassment, he was encouraging a family member to work there. That made no sense to do if it was just that awful to work there via a third party contractor. Yeah, remember he was never a Tesla employee. He was contracted as an elevator operator via a third party.

First he turns down 15 million that means he’d never have to work again and be subjected to workplace harassment, allow him to move anywhere, travel, start a non-profit to support others suffering from racially motivated attacks or work on bringing racial awareness to the world, or, or, or. Instead, he turns it down!? And now a third lawsuit!?

Yeah, he deserves nothing.

Last edited:
Don’t know about other countries, but Belgium and The Netherlands now have dynamic tariff price plans. With all the solar and wind energy in those countries, there are plenty of times in the week where charging your car is significantly cheaper than the regular price. So you can basically charge cheaply from the electricity the neighbours are generating with their solar panels. Even though the weather is cloudy today, and we’re still only beginning of may, although it’s a weekday, 1PM-5PM is now the cheapest time of day to charge your car in Belgium and The Netherlands if you have a dynamic tariff. This will only become cheaper in the future. But not many people know this.

Only problem is that when prices go negative and you have solar you basically have to disconnect to avoid paying for dumping your kWh into the grid 😅

Just a guess, but maybe it was because "no" was the response, when asked if those colors were coming to the US? 🤷‍♂️
I mean, it was pretty clear and has always been pretty clear you can have any color for your Tesla as long as its black.

Additionally, CyberTruck - no paint.

But hey, maybe Tesla does a complete 180 with the next generation of cars coming out of Mexico and the cars will come in a traditional bright, eye catching, Hispanic color palette. That’ll be special.

Only problem is that when prices go negative and you have solar you basically have to disconnect to avoid paying for dumping your kWh into the grid 😅
I’m not sure it is possible in Belgium to have negative injection tariffs, even with a dynamic tariff. It’s certainly a good idea to add a battery if you have solar panels and a dynamic tariff.

A few weeks ago we had negative electricity rates (including taxes) for a few hours in the middle of the day. There was a lot of sun and wind. That meant that if you charged your car during those hours you were being paid! I know of someone with the dynamic tariff who turned on every electric appliance in their house to make a few bucks. I don't expect such abuse to become the new normal, but with smart planning driving an EV can become very cheap.

I heard from a low level Tesla employee just the other day that those colors (Midnight Cherry and QuickSilver) were coming to the US, but I dont put much weight in that actually being true.
It was my understanding that the paint shops for Berlin and Austin are different in such a way that the Berlin color process cannot be run on Austin's equipment.

I was just reading about that. I’m honestly to the point now that I don’t believe him and there’s more to the story.

I think there was back and forth ‘jawing’ between him and other employees of other ethnicities; at first ‘playful’ and meant in good humor that subsequently escalated. I think he’s as much to blame as others.

I’ve always felt something was up when even as he was supposedly suffering from harassment, he was encouraging a family member to work there. That made no sense to do if it was just that awful to work there via a third party contractor. Yeah, remember he was never a Tesla employee. He was contracted as an elevator operator via a third party.

First he turns down 15 million that means he’d never have to work again and be subjected to workplace harassment, allow him to move anywhere, travel, start a non-profit to support others suffering from racially motivated attacks or work on bringing racial awareness to the world, or, or, or. Instead, he turns it down!? And now a third lawsuit!?

Yeah, he deserves nothing.

The skeptic in me wonders if someone with deep pockets is funding this just to keep the negative press on Tesla, and this guy gets paid something good regardless.

Again, the skeptic in me, but . . .

I heard from a low level Tesla employee just the other day that those colors (Midnight Cherry and QuickSilver) were coming to the US, but I dont put much weight in that actually being true.
It makes sense the new colors are coming to the states. Its another demand lever. IMO, just wait till new design make over.

And if the new paint booth at Austin could not paint the same colors as Berlin, someone would be fired already.

Yes, in the past 1 year there have been some legal challenges and people testing this, and it has been allowed. But until the past year, you are correct.

In my case, I would need 2 more powerwalls, and a backup power source (mixed fuel generator) to get through those weeks in the winter when we have a string of days with minimal sun. But, there is a supercharger 3 miles from the house, so in a pinch I would not need enough power to charge the cars, just the house.
How do they enforce it? Can't you just disconnect the main at your breaker?