Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm…and I just bought an expensive item from a vendor with a higher price. Exact same product, one vendor offered it at a 15% discount. I did not choose that vendor.

This excellent post explains why many of us use vendor quality despite nominally higher prices, value being the topic, not pure price.

A deal a couple years in the making. Interesting.
Yep, and it sounds like a major hurdle was that Tesla wanted Ford customers to use the Tesla app to start/pay for Supercharging and Ford wanted to keep them in the FordPass app. So either Ford paid more to keep them in the FordPass app, or Tesla saw that allowing third-party apps was a requirement for NEVI funding and they finally gave in. (Or a combination of both.)

So maybe Tesla will go for some NEVI funding. Time will tell.

The quote is:
I have made it a principle within Tesla that we should never attempt to make servicing a profit center.

This is absolutely core to the Tesla business model. Building cars to be easily and cheaply serviced eviscerates the legacy model of selling replacement parts for low margin vehicles and enables customers to instead support the high margin software as a service model that legacy can't match.

Last edited:
Wait did I miss a catalyst for Tesla which makes you think we will move like Nvidia?

Most people think Nvidia is 2 years behind Tsla and this is their 2020 tsla moment.
Tesla's Nvidia moment is either Energy showing large margin improvement from one quarter to the next in combination with massive revenue growth or when Tesla does something like a "One month free trial for FSD + 6 months of introductory $99/month monthly subscription" That would be the moment Tesla truly gets valued with a SAAS business model.

A further Nvidia moment is one of the other auto makers, mostly likely Ford at this point, adopting FSD.

All of these potential scenarios could be play out by the end of 2023. Not saying it's likely but as I've stated for a little while now, my bullishness when it comes to FSD has greatly increased over the past 3-4 months.

Ok... I'm not very good at predicting much of anything, but I'm gonna say nope to this.

Tesla is tickling the underside of $200 again. There is a lot of money on the sidelines waiting to catch the next big Tesla breakout.

I seriously doubt we're going to see a sedate march to $250 until year end. My bet is something interesting happens and ignites the powder keg and we splash $350 - 400 by year end. Might not hold, might end back down around $250 or $300, but I'm betting we tap at least $350 by year end. Literally betting on it.

Remember, we aren't out of the "recession" woods just yet. We could very easily see a market dip again this year, possibly more than one if the Fed decides to raise rates yet again in 2023. Tesla could lower prices on cars yet again, dropping margins even further. A lot of bearish stuff can happen in 2023 still.

There is a lot of fear and uncertainty in the market right now, and until that goes away anything could happen. We could rally, or we could still see all time lows in 2023.

There is a lot of fear and uncertainty in the market right now, and until that goes away anything could happen. We could rally, or we could still see all time lows in 2023.
Personally I feel there isn't enough fear. Market is betting for rate cuts this year. If (when?) that doesn't happen, we'll see a market correction.

Remember, we aren't out of the "recession" woods just yet. We could very easily see a market dip again this year, possibly more than one if the Fed decides to raise rates yet again in 2023. Tesla could lower prices on cars yet again, dropping margins even further. A lot of bearish stuff can happen in 2023 still.

At this point with all the data we have, we're looking more likely at a pretty mild recession with a slowly bursting housing bubble that will continually drive down inflation for the next 3-4 years. Tons of data points are pointing to this.

People need to remember that we JUST saw a material drop in home prices this past month...data which won't show up in CPI until for another 2-3 months. We have very lagging jobs data. Meta only just now did the final layoff of the already announced layouts that they announced 4 months ago. That data won't hit the jobs numbers for another 1-2 months.

Competition is coming guys, watch out! 😏

Article about NKLA facing potential de-listing. Not sure why anyone would still have shares in that scam...

Tesla's Nvidia moment is either Energy showing large margin improvement from one quarter to the next in combination with massive revenue growth or when Tesla does something like a "One month free trial for FSD + 6 months of introductory $99/month monthly subscription" That would be the moment Tesla truly gets valued with a SAAS business model.

A further Nvidia moment is one of the other auto makers, mostly likely Ford at this point, adopting FSD.

All of these potential scenarios could be play out by the end of 2023. Not saying it's likely but as I've stated for a little while now, my bullishness when it comes to FSD has greatly increased over the past 3-4 months.
Is your FSD bullishness based on personal experience with FSD?

Reactions: navguy12
Competition is coming guys, watch out! 😏

Article about NKLA facing potential de-listing. Not sure how anyone has shares in that scam still...
A friend of mine bought shares. I warned her way back but I think she held on the whole way down.

Don't think it's a big percentage of her retirement, but still sad and frustrating.

Surprised Tesla isn't down on this news. /s (sort of)

At this point with all the data we have, we're looking more likely at a pretty mild recession with a slowly bursting housing bubble that will continually drive down inflation for the next 3-4 years. Tons of data points are pointing to this.

People need to remember that we JUST saw a material drop in home prices this past month...data which won't show up in CPI until for another 2-3 months. We have very lagging jobs data. Meta only just now did the final layoff of the already announced layouts that they announced 4 months ago. That data won't hit the jobs numbers for another 1-2 months.
I also think price drops are lagging actual inflation. Nobody likes to lower prices after all.

I've been pretty bearish on FSD for a while but the last few updates have really changed my opinion. Dying to see 11.4.x

Reactions: JusRelax
Will that still be the case once the Ford partnership is in place?
Combination of tracking user accounts online (and no that doesn't mean just tracking videos/feedback from a few of the well known Twitter FSD users) and experiencing it here in Seattle from a friend that has it a few times. About once or twice every few months. Which is actually what I feel is a much better way to track progress. You experience it daily or weekly, the improvements lack the impact. Go about 2-3 months in between trying it and you quickly realize how much it is progressing.

Funny that you say this because what I almost suggested was we'd either linger here for the rest of the year or a powder keg will light the stock up. I decided to stick with just the optimistic call, though I do agree.

I just don't see a "tweener" year where we just mosey along and clock middling gains.

Reactions: Nocturnal and Mengy
Ok... I'm not very good at predicting much of anything, but I'm gonna say nope to this.

Tesla is tickling the underside of $200 again. There is a lot of money on the sidelines waiting to catch the next big Tesla breakout.

I seriously doubt we're going to see a sedate march to $250 until year end. My bet is something interesting happens and ignites the powder keg and we splash $350 - 400 by year end. Might not hold, might end back down around $250 or $300, but I'm betting we tap at least $350 by year end.

I think the most likely scenario is a run up to around $240-$250 in the next couple of months, followed by a dip to $200 following Q2 earnings or lower if macro numbers look bad, then a rebound back to $250 through the end of the year. There are potential surprises of course, but I'm not counting on them happening this year. Next year is more ripe for pleasant surprises such as huge FSD advancement, better than expected Cybertruck production and margins, or initial success of the Semi.

I hope you're right though ;)

A friend of mine bought shares. I warned her way back but I think she held on the whole way down.

Don't think it's a big percentage of her retirement, but still sad and frustrating.

Surprised Tesla isn't down on this news. /s (sort of)
Just yesterday a friend was telling me about how his boss recently got on the hydrogen fuel cell bandwagon, and thinks it's totally going to be far better than EV's... 🙄

There's still a lot of propaganda/misinformation out there, and innocents get taken... Well, not so innocent - research and balanced views are available to those that search.

I convinced at least one of my buddies to buy TSLA, and my father in law (he bought at $200 a while back, so he'll be happier with me in a year or two... 😆). My own dad listened to me right away when TSLA was $9 equivalent, so he's only regretting selling a bunch too early after it merely quintupled.

To address an adjacent topic: if Tesla energy split off from TSLA, would that make it more susceptible to manipulation? Someone mentioned Tesla basically saved Solar City from a similar fate (shorted down to nothing) - though I guess MM's will find a way to manipulate no matter what...

I think the most likely scenario is a run up to around $240-$250 in the next couple of months, followed by a dip to $200 following Q2 earnings or lower if macro numbers look bad, then a rebound back to $250 through the end of the year. There are potential surprises of course, but I'm not counting on them happening this year. Next year is more ripe for pleasant surprises such as huge FSD advancement, better than expected Cybertruck production and margins, or initial success of the Semi.

I hope you're right though ;)

Yeah this is exactly how I feel 2023 will play out.

Of course I'd rather TrendTrader and the other bulls are right. I'd have zero problems with TSLA topping $400 by EoY! I just don't' think it's very likely.

Yeah this is exactly how I feel 2023 will play out.

Of course I'd rather TrendTrader and the other bulls are right. I'd have zero problems with TSLA topping $400 by EoY! I just don't' think it's very likely.
Put a gun to my head and I'd say we get back to ATH in 2024. But if we wind up at 250 or 400 by EOY this year I wouldn't be shocked either. This is TSLA after all.

Put a gun to my head and I'd say we get back to ATH in 2024. But if we wind up at 250 or 400 by EOY this year I wouldn't be shocked either. This is TSLA after all.

this-is-tesla-300.gif