Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have not seen this posted, slightly a big deal maybe? :)

View attachment 944720
Meh. I’ve read here for a few years now that there’s no way Tesla will ever be able to make or sell cars in India for dozens of reasons. I suspect those people will be right in that regard like they were right about Tesla never being able to do business in China without a Chinese partner.

So, yeah. Not holding my breath about all this India rigmarole. 🙄

1. Rarely do you ever see a company not show signs of their future prospect from your prediction 5 years ago. Tesla is the exception because the problem they are tackling is so big, however a lot of Arkk's picks are not transforming the world in 5 years beyond. Roku or teledoc are not looking to removing human labor, autonomy, or doing anything dramatically different then what they are today.

2. It's fine to make bets but she picked to do so during a financial asset bubble which at best pulled forward what they predicted would happen in 10 years. Instead of capitalizing on that, they bought in...so now they have to wait until that company grows into that valuation which means best they can. Hope for in hitting ath again in 10 years.

3. The problem with 10 year horizon is the S&P would have doubled by then and that's almost guaranteed. So now S&P recovered from last year's dip already, and those who bought arkk at 140 is way under water. Arkk's performance needs to x 3 just to get to break even for some folks. Many companies Arkk bought needs to x10 just to break even for them...which means they can be right and 10 bag just to break even.
You said that well without my rant induced bile. Thanks!

Meh. I’ve read here for a few years now that there’s no way Tesla will ever be able to make or sell cars in India for dozens of reasons. I suspect those people will be right in that regard like they were right about Tesla never being able to do business in China without a Chinese partner.

India is changing rapidly. The middle class is surging and the Indian govt is very pro business … I think you might be surprised and what happens there. Time will tell but I’m pretty sure india understands the importance of tesla as a brand and any chance they get to tap into it will be welcomed.

Now, self driving in India ??? Holy moly … good luck. I was just there in December and Indian traffic is a sight to behold … unbelievable chaos but the people there navigate it with little problems somehow.

Cheers to the longs

FSD is not ready for the masses until they fix the phantom braking problem! I’m on a road trip. Yesterday, driving E in eastern Montana, no cars within 1/2 mile, straight road, suffered several phantom braking incidents, some accompanied by attempted lane change! This needs to be sorted. Otherwise, 11.4 is pretty good.
My car swerved to avoid skid marks in my lane the other day. That was a new one. So, I tried it a second day in the same road section - did it again. Yet the car handles the gravel, winding, 1 to 1.5 lane road width going up and down the mountain pretty impressively at times.

I’m not a panicky person nor do I get excited or bent about this kind of stuff. I found it intriguing, interesting and was just glad the sheriff wasn’t around. That would have meant a big time sink explaining to that mountain man what happened, then taking him for a spin to demonstrate, then hitting the local tavern for a beer, and I didn’t have that kind of time on my hands in the moment.

OT numerology... 228 SP is special here. Was my cat's name in college (spells c-a-t on the phone). I thought the cat lovers might like this fun fact. Short-haired tabby, 2-2 was what he went by. After quitting school for a summer only, I left 2-2 with a friend who gave him to his Mom in Redding Cal, who then gave him away in a garage sale. :eek: I still miss 2-2, RIP, furf!

Best trick... he could jump onto the bed, off the wall, back twist into a parachute hung from the dorm ceiling. (NAU, SAC dorm for future AI stories and records.)

Last edited:

Far and away the leader in India auto sales is Suzuki, that is Maruti Suzuki. The volume there is small cars. While some things are analogous to China others are not. Considering everything I'll be surprised if Tesla does not get an exceptional deal. One major reason: even though they avoid equity partners they are not shy to encourage local suppliers and they are enthusiastic about sharing some intellectual property that most others try to rigidly control.
Those are both major advantages for Tesla.

We'll see. A lifetime of wandering has taught me to avoid preconceptions. Strangely wonderful things can happen in unexpected places. Not always! sometimes.
Personally I would never try to second guess the Tesla team on these issues.

India is changing rapidly. The middle class is surging and the Indian govt is very pro business … I think you might be surprised and what happens there. Time will tell but I’m pretty sure india understands the importance of tesla as a brand and any chance they get to tap into it will be welcomed.

Now, self driving in India ??? Holy moly … good luck. I was just there in December and Indian traffic is a sight to behold … unbelievable chaos but the people there navigate it with little problems somehow.

Cheers to the longs

Clearly, you are unfamiliar with the cat's penchant for sarcasm. 😸

It's drawn to today's date + 5 days (they update it every time there is a price change and the graph just extends daily automatically)

The snips below are just a minor portion on that spreadsheet.

View attachment 944625

View attachment 944624
Screen Shot 2023-06-07 at 11.27.40 AM.png

When TSLA passed $333.34 ($1000 post split) I put in a reservation for a Model Y. Product came due with the depressed stock price so cancelled. Most likely will place the reservation back on when it reaches this point again. I can't be the only one that postponed a Tesla EV purchase to due TSLA and are now looking at purchasing due to TSLA. The cycle will play out positively this time.

Last edited:
All this is true, I think, but is relevant only for the most highly developed EU, NA markets.
My comment were directed towards all the rest, excluding only China, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan and New Zealand. Everywhere else is vestigial at best. Azerbaijan does have Almaty (natural since they were one of the only destinations for the TU144, Russia's 'Concorde').
The 'developed' world is relatively simple in comparison to the rest of the world.

We are only a couple years away from needing those markets for meeting the Tesla mission.
The developed world has everyone's attention, for good or ill.
Turkey seems to be an entry point into certain parts of the world with CCS2 Tesla Supercharger network available to all EVs. In effect, Tesla could be the Turkish default charging infrastructure.

Made the mistake of watching a couple Technical Analysis videos yesterday.

One of them suggested there were no major road blocks between here and $300/ share with a fairly open ended interpretation of when. The other was shorter term and suggested that opening strong today and holding it would lead to a pretty strong move up to $240. Both of them were quite excited we'd hit $220/ share (actually I think $217 was the number but whatev).

Not a huge TA person myself, but it does tend to be a decent predictor of short term moves. Feels like ducks lining up. Company performance is doing well, sales numbers in China and Europe sounding strong, US is strong enough they are supplying Canada from China...

Also what’s really telling to me is that there little migration from Tesla into other brands. The Model 3 has been available in volume for 4+ years now and Tesla brand loyalty is 20 points higher than next brand.

But did they poll Alyssa Milano?

Personally, what I've noticed is that many of the meme stocks had a similar but not as pronounced bump as Tesla in AH yesterday, and are now up quite a bit today as well. Some examples are EXPR, COIN, GME, VUZI, SPCE.

I think the meme stocks were getting heavily shorted and the market's reaction to macro events for the past like month is not what the shorts were expecting. With TSLA being the king of meme stocks, and having by far the greatest options market, maybe the effect of unexpected bullishness in the market is forcing shorts to cover.
"With (Tesla) being the king of meme stocks..." I have never thought this way. In fact, the next time @Artful Dodger changes their avitar to diamond hands, I'm selling all my TSLA and buying a Range Rover.