Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So assuming all the others will follow Ford and GM and NACS becomes the lone system in the US.

Will Tesla be the only one having charging stations? Wouldn't that be seen as a monopoly? I think Tesla will have to let other actors start building charging stations using NACS.

Tesla announced back in November of 2022 anybody who want to use the standard can- so it's not a question of them needing to "let" anyone build their own stations.

Tesla said:
today we are opening our EV connector design to the world. We invite charging network operators and vehicle manufacturers to put the Tesla charging connector and charge port, now called the North American Charging Standard (NACS), on their equipment and vehicles.

What we haven't heard so far, is if Tesla had any requirements. For example, would NACS-only Ford and GMs need to have the charging port in the same location as Teslas?

V4 Superchargers already have longer connection cables. The limiting factor for v3 sites will continue to be their grid connection. Look for more new sites with Megapack support, which will also make money for Tesla through arbitrage when grid power is cheap and the SuC site isn't busy.

Tesla can take the money that they're making from this and put superchargers all over the place. It would be like having a monopoly on gas stations.

Then if they can figure a way to give Tesla owners a lower price to supercharge than other types of automobiles, it might cause more people to buy a Tesla instead of a Ford or GM.

Reactions: FireMedic
Yep. I lost a third of my shares primarily to stupidity, medical costs, and dependence on credit at the end of last year... coming back now, but until Tesla's price drop at the beginning of this year I thought I might lose it all.

So with that in mind, if you're satisfied that you're in good shape going forward without putting your money back in TSLA, more power to you. Don't sweat FOMO because you didn't miss out! You have achieved your financial goals mate, now it's time to enjoy the spoils!

But please keep on posting, we'd miss your valuable input my friend.
Well, since we all feel like sharing today, by necessity I had to sell about 10% of my portfolio below $200.

Not a disaster, but it hurt!

200.gif

There are folks who cannot handle buying back a stock much higher than what they sold it at. Not me

Have you ever done an analysis to see whether you're losing money by overtrading every time the wind changes direction? If not, good for you! (rare trader), but how much vacation time does it cost you?

Meanwhile, HODL'ing here with 62% CAGR over the past 5 years... and no ulcers... :D

Cheers to the Longs!

There is also a potential license/royalty fee that GM/Ford needs to pay Tesla for each car they build that uses NACS.
Just to be clear, NACS is free for anyone to implement. Any license/royalty fee would only be for access to the Tesla API and/or Supercharger network. (Which is separate from NACS.)

Will Tesla be the only one having charging stations? Wouldn't that be seen as a monopoly? I think Tesla will have to let other actors start building charging stations using NACS.
They did that the second they made NACS open. In fact we have heard recently that CPOs have been wanting to add NACS to their chargers, but cables weren't available yet. Cables are supposed to be available early next year. I think EVgo even made an announcement recently that they would be adding NACS to their chargers next year. (Makes sense as they are a GM partner.)

I would think that other CPOs will likely do the same now. ChargePoint, EA, Shell Recharge, CircleK, Blink!, FLO, FreeWire, etc. (But that will likely depend on their charging hardware vendor making the cables available as an option, and why wouldn't they.)

After hours SP is up almost $10 now. EDIT: up over $12 now 😍 (7:05 EDT)

While we are still down a decent amount from the highs, and I'm in the same boat as others who are admitting losses due leverage/options/stupidity, I'm just giddy with excitement. And I'm sure I'll stay that way all evening and night and wake up early tomorrow morning to watch the ticker and (hopefully) maintain the giddiness through tomorrow and the weekend.

As @Artful Dodger always says, 'Cheers to the Longs!'

Stay giddy my friends.

Last edited:
Just wanted to mention this. As a relatively long-time observer of Tesla and Musk, the company (and Musk) have repetitively stated that, "The Supercharger network is not a profit center."

The money received, then, apparently goes into:
1. Paying for electricity
2. Paying for upkeep and repairs
3. Paying for more superchargers

And not into making $$$ for Tesla.

The idea: Make the cost of charging the car as small as possible.. so people can buy more cars.

So: Based upon this, when Ford and GM join the fun, they won't be making tons of money on Superchargers, either: But they will be selling more cars. And that's the point.

After hours SP is up almost $10 now.

While we are still down a decent amount from the highs, and I'm in the same boat as others who are admitting losses due leverage/options/stupidity, I'm just giddy with excitement. And I'm sure I'll stay that way all evening and night and wake up early tomorrow morning to watch the ticker and (hopefully) maintain the giddiness through tomorrow and the weekend.

As @Artful Dodger always says, 'Cheers to the Longs!'

Stay giddy my friends.
Giddy up!