Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I include all my time researching, discussing, and arguing with the FUDsters my hourly wage might not be all that impressive.
Am I the only one that opened a calculator?

If you are in your mid fifties you need close to $2,500,000 in gains to have made a $15 minimum wage for eight hours every day since you were born.

It's tough to get rich in this world, and there's a lot of hours in a life.

Am I the only one that opened a calculator?

If you are in your mid fifties you need close to $2,500,000 in gains to have made a $15 minimum wage for eight hours every day since you were born.

It's tough to get rich in this world, and there's a lot of hours in a life.
Boy, your parents are going to be sore when they learn you've been freeloading off of them for over 50 years when you've got $2.5M ! Then again, they sent an infant off to do hard labor, so they probably had it coming.

One thing absent from the this run up is discussion about Megapack revenue. For example this up to 4GWh project where Tesla was used for the first phase:

At $475/kWh, 4GWh would be $1.9B or equivalent of 47k cars at $40k. We still don't have good clarity on the margins on these, but imo it should be decent. And mainly this implies that there might be more orders of this type in the future in various countries.

One thing absent from the this run up is discussion about Megapack revenue. For example this up to 4GWh project where Tesla was used for the first phase:

At $475/kWh, 4GWh would be $1.9B or equivalent of 47k cars at $40k. We still don't have good clarity on the margins on these, but imo it should be decent. And mainly this implies that there might be more orders of this type in the future in various countries.
Note, that is 475 CENTS/kWh, not dollars. I come up with $19M for 4GWh, not $1.9B.

• Helpful
Reactions: GOVA
I'm pretty sure Elon has stated on multiple earnings calls that he thought the Model Y would be the best selling car.
As far as I can remember, he didn’t start saying that until a couple years ago, like @Words of HABIT said in a reply. I seem to recall him also saying that Tesla had been caught off guard by the unexpectedly large demand for the Y.

For the larger Cybertruck discussion, I believe the projections of 250k per year are very conservative. For context, every one of the S, X, 3 and Y model progression has been a category killer that dominates its market segment. If the Cybertruck achieves a similar degree of domination in the pickup truck segment then it’ll sell 1 million+ annually. I mean, the F-series sold 653k in the USA alone in 2022, and that was in a down year with a lot of production shortages especially from chip constraints.

Arguably the CT has stronger competitive advantages than the S3XY models.

Attachments

• 1687301120311.png
    1687301120311.png
    134.1 KB · Views: 154
More about ERCOT. Apparently Market saturation of renewables in Texas by 5/2024?

Edit: Texas operational capacity is ~142 GW and peak demand (historic highest) hit at 80GW last year. Its about to raise the peak again, most likely, at 82GW peak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct, I don't expect Tesla to apply for NEVI funding. (They haven't started the process in Oregon, for which they only have two more weeks to express interest. But they did have a meeting with Ohio people on their NEVI program...)

But this announcement is the opposite of that. It forces anyone using NEVI funds in Texas to install both CCS and NACS. That would be potentially EA, Loves, Pilot, EVgo, ChargePoint, FreeWire, Blink, Flo, etc. (Tesla already would have had to put in CCS as well as NACS, well I guess they wouldn't have had to put NACS in.)
Thing is, Tesla makes up the largest share of the EV market. Why should taxpayer funds go to EV charging companies that DON'T support the majority of the market? Only makes sense to require NACS plugs in order to get our money (now rather using taxpayer funding at all is appropriate is a different question).

Last edited:
By Jarrett Renshaw and Hyunjoo Jin

(Reuters) -Tesla scored a series of victories for its charging technology on Tuesday, capped by Texas saying it would require electric vehicle charging companies to include both Tesla's standard as well as the nationally recognized CCS if they want to be part of a state program to electrify highways using federal dollars.

Earlier in the day, Reuters was first to report both that electric pickup truck maker Rivian was backing Tesla and that charger maker BTC Power would support the standard. Those announcements follow decisions by GM and Ford to add Tesla charging technology, shunning efforts by the Biden administration to make the Combined Charging System (CCS) the dominant charging standard in the United States.

Texas - home to Tesla's headquarters and a new car factory complex - is the first state that will mandate Tesla's charging technology, giving a boost to CEO Elon Musk's hope of making it the national charging standard.

"The decision by Ford, GM, and now Rivian to adopt NACS changed requirements for Phase 1" of the rollout, the Texas Department of Transportation said in an email to Reuters on Tuesday, adding that it would require direct current fast chargers to have one CCS and one North American Charging Standard (NACS) connector.

Texas's decision will put a ton of pressure on other states to adopt Tesla's NACS, said Lew Cox, director of business development at MD7, which helps companies deploy chargers.

"It’ll effectively make an NACS the new charging standard," Cox said.

More about ERCOT. Apparently Market saturation of renewables in Texas by 5/2024?

Edit: Texas operational capacity is ~142 GW and peak demand (historic highest) hit at 80GW last year. Its about to raise the peak again, most likely, at 82GW peak.

I like how the first article goes on about "market saturation" as the batteries will be able to provide the energy needed to supplement in a crisis. As if more batteries won't be practical once that saturation point has been reached. 🤣

They avoid directly mentioning how more storage allows less waste from solar and wind, which, once stored, will begin to replace the abundance of gas and coal producers. This will happen because the renewable electricity will be less expensive and abundant. Only fools those profiting from fossil fueled production, and those locked into having to buy from the old guard will be paying the higher rates. Word will get around.

The article does hint at this aspect without coming right out and saying that renewables will slowly and steadily replace all less efficient means of energy production.

Hence, the careful choice of words when defining the mission. "accelerate the transition" is warm and fuzzy and avoids being a direct threat, even though to some, it certainly is. That's okay, they'll find other work farming wind and sunlight into energy, or flipping burgers. At least until Optimus fills those roles as well. 😏