Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe... But its worth remembering that the cybertruck design is extremely polarizing. The model S basically looked like a jaguar, and was targeted at the sort of people who had a jaguar. Thats an easy sell, apart from making the ICE-EV shift.
The cybertruck is something people lvoe or hate, PLUS initially people WILL stare at your truck a lot. They will take photos of it, they will want to pose with it, talk to the owner. Not everyone wants that, although I suspect the first 10,000 owners are going to be the kind who really do.
By the time Cybertruck has worked through the current order backlog, Tesla will have sold approximately a million cumulatively and the trucks will have been on the road for years. I expect the gawking and staring due to novelty interest will have worn off by then.

The radical departure from the norm is the biggest wildcard factor in my opinion. It might be positive, negative or neutral and it’s hard to tell the net effect until deliveries start. One thing is for certain however: the Cybertruck’s radical design is the reason why it will crush all competitors on every objective performance comparison that matters, such as range, towing, durability, miles per hour of charging speed, total cost of ownership, etc.

The design also is a reason why Cybertruck is somewhat of a hybrid between a pickup and a large SUV. Most trucks don’t come with this much lockable internal storage volume and this much cabin room. Cybertruck is uniquely positioned to cross-market itself to buyers who otherwise might’ve gone for a Chevy Suburban or a Toyota Highlander.

I think the cybertruck will do very well in North America, and also middle east if ever sold there, maybe also Africa if sold there. I'm not sure it’s 'bland' enough to completely dominate the market though, at least not for a good few years until everyone has seen one, and they start looking more normal.

Yes, and the Cybertruck will do very poorly outside of North America for quite some time…because it’s not even for sale elsewhere anymore. Since May last year, reservations can be placed only on the US, Canada and Mexico versions of Tesla.com. Tesla might still fulfill preexisting orders beyond this continent, but at what level of priority in the queue remains to be seen. Elon even stated in an interview in 2020 that “We’re really, fundamentally making this truck as a North American ass-kicker, basically.”

North America is the primary relevant market for large pickup trucks in general. I’m having trouble finding good data on this that’s not behind a paywall, but from what I can find it seems the USA + Canada buy approximately twice as many new pickup trucks as the rest of the world combined. Mexicans also buy trucks, but not nearly as many new ones. The fact is that North America is uniquely the only area on Earth with all of: large wealthy population, wide roads, cheap energy, and a large percentage of the population living in low density communities, which is the recipe for making pickup trucks culturally common. Also, almost 90% of the North American sales volume is going to 🇺🇸 , not 🇨🇦, due mainly to the vast 9x population size difference. Ford alone sold 1 million trucks wholesale last year just in the USA according to their 2022 10-K (although this is including medium and heavy duty trucks too). The domestic market is by far the most important for Cybertruck, and especially with the Inflation Reduction Act now in effect, there’s a huge financial incentive for selling production from Giga Texas within the US.

A smaller Cybertruck variant is likely coming in the future for the rest of the world, and when I’m talking about potential for 1M per year sold I’m including all sizes of CT that eventually get made, because that’s how other companies group their pickup truck families.

Joke of the day:

View attachment 949495

View attachment 949496

What did they expect Tesla to respond with? Ummm...no, that's not gonna happen?
None of these numbers match or make sense. The article contradicts itself from one sentence to the next:

"Tesla's market share will drop to 18%"

-then-

"Tesla would shift from a 35%/65% split to a 70/30 split."

Which is it, 18% or 30%?

Tesla's YoY growth of 50% puts them at 6 million vehicles in 2026.

Ford and GM will grow to 14%.......each? So if Tesla sells 6 million at 18%,, Ford and GM will each produce 77.8% of Tesla's.

So Ford and GM will each produce 4.7 million EV's by 2026. OK. Sure.

Bizarre, indeed, as the most recent Earnings Yield is not 5.22% but 4.50%, with the next update being released July 8. Also, it’s treacherous to compare the yield of a corporate earnings - which is, of course, not a dividend payment - to that of a “coupon” such as on a bond or T-note.

Summary: Apples and Oranges here.
That just makes it worse. S&P dividend yield is less than 2%.

Reactions: AZRI11 and unk45
None of these numbers match or make sense. The article contradicts itself from one sentence to the next:

-then-

Which is it, 18% or 30%?

Ford and GM will grow to 14%.......each? So if Tesla sells 6 million at 18%,, Ford and GM will each produce 77.8% of Tesla's.

Its practically Groundhog Day with this narrative. The only thing that changes is the year at which it’s supposed to happen.

Though given Tesla’s aggressiveness with pricing, production expansion, and the trend in all non Tesla EV sales, it’s gotten really silly at this point. Tesla’s biggest actually real competitor, the Mach E, is in serious trouble with a sales trend of lower sales YoY and QoQ even though it really only started production a year and a half ago

-then-

Which is it, 18% or 30%?

Hence the "joke of the day" reference, this is bullish :)

Analysts need to show their math

sales({Ford,GM,others 2026 models},{V3+ Superchargers} + {Other networks with NACS 2025} + {Other Networks with CCS end 2025}) >> sales({Ford,GM, others 2026 models}, {Other networks with CCS 2023})

By the end of 2025:
- more models
- Chargers funded by ARPA installed
- ElectrifyAmerica Cycle 3 complete, 3/4 of the way through Cycle 4
- NEVI chargers being installed (assuming the whole thing doesn't get canceled)

And that's just charging.

Well chosen words. Looks like the transformation from geek to international ambassador meeting with world leaders, is pretty much complete
He's practically blushing as he professes his love for Modi. Is this type of thing what politicians in India like?

I'm skeptical that Tesla can operate in India without all manner of objectionable hassles. Same with France and Macron. But regardless, this kind of ambassadorship is a low cost activity (other than Musk's time and attention) and has positive effects with regard to getting the most impact for Tesla's investment dollars.

A smaller Cybertruck variant is likely coming in the future for the rest of the world, and when I’m talking about potential for 1M per year sold I’m including all sizes of CT that eventually get made, because that’s how other companies group their pickup truck families.

I have absolutely no use for the massive and beautiful CyberTruck. But I sure could use a compact version, (but not the 4-wheeler that fits in bed of the CyberTruck). And yes, it’s primary use would be ordinary driving and attracting attention for the next 10 years, (not just 3). I hope I don’t have to leave the country to get one.

-then-

Which is it, 18% or 30%?

CNBC said:
Tesla's share of the U.S. electric vehicles market will drop to 18% by 2026, Bank of America analysts estimated in a note Tuesday.

CNBC said:
Overall in that period, the breakdown of U.S. EV market share between incumbents and newer entrants, such as Tesla, would shift from a 35%/65% split to a 70%/30% split, respectively.

They are opining that other newer entrants will have a substantial share. I don't know what newer entrants they think are coming.

He's practically blushing as he professes his love for Modi. Is this type of thing what politicians in India like?

I'm skeptical that Tesla can operate in India without all manner of objectionable hassles. Same with France and Macron. But regardless, this kind of ambassadorship is a low cost activity (other than Musk's time and attention) and has positive effects with regard to getting the most impact for Tesla's investment dollars.

Tesla will operate in India if they build in India.

India is very protectionist and a number of manufacturers have kit car factories to avoid the tariffs.
But India has been playing cat and mouse on tariffs in some sectors so the discussions probably had Musk trying to negotiate some approach that would allow them a reasonable, low-risk path towards domestic manufacture.

If they can make the Indian market work, it could ultimately become a global base for manufacturing RHD vehicles.

I have absolutely no use for the massive and beautiful CyberTruck. But I sure could use a compact version, (but not the 4-wheeler that fits in bed of the CyberTruck). And yes, it’s primary use would be ordinary driving and attracting attention for the next 10 years, (not just 3). I hope I don’t have to leave the country to get one.
Agreed. I would love a MX sized or even a MY sized CT for ordinary driving, Costco runs, daily driver. Doesn't even have to be a pick-up. A Cyber SUV would fit the bill perfectly.

Having said that, it's going to take many years before Tesla releases such a vehicle. In the meantime, as much of an overkill the CT is going to be for my needs, I'm still going to get one.